What's new

4K HDTV's? Do you need one or or do you care? (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
According to the chart, you would need to sit 4 feet from a 55 inch TV or for those of us with front projectors 8 feet from a 120 inch screen to see the full benefit of 2160p.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I think there will be little to no consumer interest in 4k television. The benefit is nonexistent for anyone with a standard sized (50 inches or under) TV. Is a family of five all going to sit 4 feet or less from their TV? I don't think so.
Doug

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I just bought a 73-inch 3D TV last year. I'm done for the decade.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I view Blu-ray discs 8' back from a 96" screen via my front projection system. If the BD is properly mastered the rendered image seems extremely detailed with good vibrancy. I'm sure that Blu-ray starts to "fall apart" a little past 120", but very few average consumers are going to want to deal with images above that size -- even via a portable projection system.
IMO, the only way a Blu-ray size disc could support 4K (Isn't that what they're talking about doing?) is with even more modern video codecs. But in trying to cram 4K movies onto 50GB discs -- even with better video codecs -- we're probably going to be back to the days of more visible compression artifacts in the transfer. What good does it do to have 4K resolution if the image is marred by EE and/or digital noise? (I know: Many BD's still exhibit these anomalies now, but there's no reason for them to since the existing codecs and the 50GB capacity should provide more than ample space to avoid compression artifacts at 2K resolution..)
No --- To do 4K right is going to require a whole new format. And the consumer-on-the-street is just not in a mood for that right now. It's a "non-starter" until roll-up 200" OLED screens and 100GB flash memory sticks become the norm. We're probably talking 2020.

Real Name
Kenneth Kraly Jr.
I already have a good 60-inch 3D DLP HDTV and a sony ps3 as my main Blu-Ray player. For me a 4K HDTV is still years away because their is not enough content for 4K. And 4K will cost more money to make content for the format on top of the cost of the 4K sets themselves.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Joseph Bolus said:
I view Blu-ray discs 8' back from a 96" screen via my front projection system. If the BD is properly mastered the rendered image seems extremely detailed with good vibrancy. I'm sure that Blu-ray starts to "fall apart" a little past 120", but very few average consumers are going to want to deal with images above that size -- even via a portable projection system.
Considering that films shot on 1920x1080 cameras such as the Panavision GENESIS, don't "fall apart" on screens as large as 65 feet, (the largest I've seen projected) I have serious doubts that any screen size you have at home is going to present that resolution with any difficulties.
Doug

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Douglas Monce said:
Considering that films shot on 1920x1080 cameras such as the Panavision GENESIS, don't "fall apart" on screens as large as 65 feet, (the largest I've seen projected) I have serious doubts that any screen size you have at home is going to present that resolution with any difficulties.
Doug
I have a 120" screen and well-produced BRDs do not fall apart at that size image. They look even better and they are even more enjoyable!

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
I have a 136" screen, and the picture looks great with a well made BD. Also from my Comcast DVR. The WB's 1930 movies on Demand TV also look great! (The R. Twenty's) is one that looks like if was filmed today.:D

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
Resolution, screen size, viewing distance, are all interdependent in determining actual viewing quality, and each item really has little to no meaning without quantifying the companion elements. Screen size and viewing distance are actually only contributing components to define how much of the observer's field of view the image occupies (viewing angle). Most consumers have a low saturation threshold, or interest, when it comes to the capacity to comprehend such technical realities. I have seen plenty of poorly designed home theater systems in my career, with projection screens that were too large. I have also noticed plenty of audience members in commercial cinemas sitting in the front half of the auditorium. Current cinema images won't support such viewing distances without compromises to picture quality, with the exception of programs shot with 65mm cameras and projected in 70mm systems, or IMAX cameras and projected in IMAX systems (both scenarios are relatively rare).
With 2K or 1080p, any viewing distance much closer than 3 screen heights (at 1.78:1) will be too close for average 20/20 visual acuity. A 30 degree field of view retains maximum image sharpness and detail for those formats (2K digital cinema allows for somewhat closer viewing than 1080p due to additional resolution). These are all theoretical generalities used by the movie and HD video industries, and based upon imaging science and human perceptual factors studies. There are always exceptions, but these recommendations fit for most humans.
The 4K format was developed for the movie industry and certain higher quality applications such as digital graphics, flight simulators, etc. Of course, television manufacturers are always looking for a way to stimulate consumers with bigger numbers. Marketing types fully understand that the bigger numbers don't really have to translate into genuine improvement.
"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste [or intelligence] of the American public." H.L. Mencken
Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
A Lion AV Consultants Affiliate
"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

ronlw

Auditioning
Real Name
Ron Walker
I'm not at all sure where the "point of diminishing returns" sets in but I think we are really close. 4K might be nice but how many people will notice. I have always striven for a better picture with my "holy grail" being the quality of a 35mm release print. For me, that point has arrived with blu-ray. I project a 20 foot (240") diagonal scope picture and sit eighteen feet away. A good blu-ray looks every bit as good as a 35mm release print. Excellent. Would I like 70mm print quality...well, yes, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra cost. I'm extremely happy now....but that's me.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I don’t hold out much hope for 4K, at least in the near future. I mean, we’re not even getting the most of 720p/1080i high-def TV as it is. I recently recorded a Forensic Factor show, and the detail during the interview segments (“talking heads”) was simply jaw-dropping, much more so than I had ever seen from a TV show, or even a blu ray. And it was only 720p, as I’m using component video cables between my DVR and 50” Pioneer Kuro plasma.
I’ve noticed for quite some time an annoying anomaly with many HD TV shows: The detail in the establishing shots is awesome, but when they cut to the actors everything goes soft. IOW, for a good many shows we’re only getting mid-def, not high def.
So if we’re not getting anything near the full potential of even 720p/1080i HD with TV programming, what’s 4K going to get us? I expect that if content providers took full advantage of the current HD format, no one would see a need for anything better.
But on the other hand, maybe that’s the idea...
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Jim Mcc said:
I think it will be a flop, just like 3D will AGAIN.
Yeah, 3D will flop. Just like the 1950s where it lasted two years 1952-54 and 1980s where again it lasted only two years 1982-84. And of course recently where in 2008 we only had 5 3d films, 22 in 2009, 37 in 2010, 55 in 2011, and probably more this year. Yeah, its a flop. :D

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Kevin Collins said:
Unfortunately for those that frequent this forum, we are a minority. We want incredible picture quality, sound quality and features. The rest of the mainstream public isn't us...
Sad but true...
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Kevin Collins said:
I have watched many HD DVD and Blu-ray discs on 10' wide screens (not diagonal).  If you have a good PJ and the disc is authored / compressed properly, the image never falls apart.  I have an 9' wide screen 16:9 screen (124" diagonal) in my HT, Adam has a 10' wide screen (137" diagonal) in his HT.  We both have basically the same PJ, the Samsung 800/900 and the lens on that PJ doesn't disappoint. 
For a PJ, there are not any consumer projectors that have enough light output for a screen >10'.  You have to get into PJ class >$20K to get that kind of light output. 
When you get into that territory, there are a number of custom installers that I know that do 20' wide screens and use Blu-Ray as the primary driving source and the image is spectacular.  Now, when they move to cable/satellite, that is a different story as the compression becomes obvious. 
At the end of the day, the resolution really isn't what is important, it is how the compression was done on the original image.  A similar analogy is cameras.  These crap cameras on phones with 8-16 megapixels going through a plastic lens produce a crap picture. 
This gets down to the root of the original post. Upscaling to 4K isn't going to make any difference if the original was shot in low resolution or if the compression is crap.  Getting the industry to rally behind capturing video on 4K or rescanning negatives at 4K is going to be next to impossible.  The industry already found out that people didn't move to Blu-ray because of increased picture quality like they did to DVD.  Mainly because DVD added more convenience factors besides image quality than VHS (i.e durable media that didn't decline with use and the ability to not have to rewind or wait to chapter skip).  This is why more people are moving to streaming digital than Blu-ray disc... Convenience..  The same reason that people embraced digital music over a higher quality sound on CD... convenience...
Unfortunately for those that frequent this forum, we are a minority.  We want incredible picture quality, sound quality and features.  The rest of the mainstream public isn't us... 
How far do you sit from the screen?

ronlw

Auditioning
Real Name
Ron Walker
One of the not so great things about better resolution is the focus problem with original acquisition.
Wayne mentions, "I’ve noticed for quite some time an annoying anomaly with many HD TV shows: The detail in the establishing shots is awesome, but when they cut to the actors everything goes soft. IOW, for a good many shows we’re only getting mid-def, not high def."
With everyone going for extremely shallow depth of field, more often then not I will see the focal plain across the ears leaving the eyes (where we normally make contact) somewhat soft. Focus pullers need to pay more attention.

SolidSignal

Auditioning
Real Name
Solid Signal
With the permission of the staff, I'd like to suggest this article: http://forums.solidsignal.com/content.php/437-4kTV-vs-QuadHD-why-do-you-care ... Not only is 4K an issue but there is a potential format war on the horizon if there are some people who would prefer QuadHD.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Kevin Collins said:
I sit a max of 1.5X the width of any screen, but in my HT is sit 10' away from my screen ~1.1X the width.  THX recommends a further distance than that, but I prefer seeing more detail.  I never can see pixel structure at that distance.  I just have one row of seating positions as my HT isn't completed yet in terms of acoustics and real HT seats.  At Adam's house I also go for the "pole position" which is ~ 11' from his screen.
With my Sanyo 720p projector I sit about 13 1/2 feet from the wall and the Sanyo projects an image that is about 8 1/2 feet wide and 58 inches high. That's 1.6 the screen width which is fine. If I buy the Panasonic PT-AE7000 for 2.35:1 it would be 11 ft 4 inches wide and 58 inches high, that would be about 1.2 screen width. If that's acceptable I should get it as I'm also interest in 3D.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
From what I heard Japan is already broadcasting in 8K! But anyway back to the topic at hand, because I have a Sony LCD that is a native 720p 3 chip LCD that will take 1080i input. If I had the money I would consider a 4K projector and a 120" Stewart Screen. If I was to get a flat panel 4K display it would have to be 60" minimum. No matter if I went with a 1080p or 4K display it sure wouldn't be an LG!
36b82afc_IMG_1293.jpeg

Would love to have a 120" screen between these Altec A-7's!

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks