What's new

43" CRT tube??? (1 Viewer)

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Hello,

I have heard rumors that Samsung is going to be marketing a 43" crt based tv. Anyone know of any companies that may try to top the Sony 40"?? I am hoping anyway. I am waiting a couple years to see whats out and I want to make a serious investment. I have a 36" Toshiba that will do until then!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
This is news to me, and it makes one wonder. The KV-40XBR800 already pushes the limits of practicality at more than 300 pounds. Consider all that bulk, too. A 43-inch direct-view simply is too much.

Darren_C

Agent
Loewe makes a 38" widescreen CRT directview at "only" around 200 pounds. I also doubt we will be seeing larger sets. Not only because of size and weight, but even at these sizes you start to have more issues with geometry and color/brightness uniformity.

With a couple more generations of improvements and cost reductions, plasma and other technologies will be a much better investment than any large CRT. I like my Loewe picture quality, but in retrospect I think I would have waited another year or two for a plasma...

Andrew John

Auditioning
Hi i just bought a sony KVHR32 widescreen hdtv compatable crt and that weighted 70kg or 154 pounds due to it's bulk and length it was a mission getting it inside my mate and i were glad i didn't go for the KVHR36 88 kg or 194 pounds.Going bigger you will never lift it.In my humble opinion.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
For one of Sony's Anniversary's they made a 43" 4x3 tube in very limited supply & they said that was the biggest that a 4x3 CRT could ever be made. Guess they were trying to top the 40" Mitsubishi & if I remember right the Sony sold for around $20,000.00 "Ouch" I think the weight was over 300 lbs.? Maybe someone else remembers this model & will chime in. I saw the set once in a repair shop in Philly & the set belonged to a woman who's son was a top Sports Figure who Sony had given him the set because he had done some commercials in Japan for them & he gave it to his mother. I never did see the set working because they were waiting for some part from Sony & they said they could'nt tell me who the owner was but they did tell me they rented a small forklift to get it out of the house & to the shop ;)

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Yeah - just dont forget that those Sony's w/ their Trinitron tubes weigh like an additional 15-20% more than their same size counterparts from other companies.

Oh yeah, and with those larger sets, I'm sure the 15khz sweep will be that much more pronounced. :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks