$40,000 speaker?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by NickSI, Apr 12, 2006.

1. NickSI

NickSI Stunt Coordinator

hey guys i was surfing the other day and came across a little company called SUMIKO. they seem to be a conglomerate of ultra high end audio equipment. the first company i looked at was Sonus Faber. they make speakers. the top of there line was the Stradavarius (like the violin) and it cost $40,000. now granted this speaker was a work of art. a true beauty amonst square competitors. but why in the heck is it $40k. even the B&W Prestige Series Nautilis is only $20k and that thing is ridiculous. if anyone has either of these or has heard them or has heard or owns anything in that range. please enlighten a young inexperianced person like myself.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Nick, you should explore the "high-end audio" world a little more. That way, you'd see that $40K is on the low end of high-end prices (and price is what the "high end" is all about). There are a number of speaker systems that, total, go for more than $100K (sometimes just for a stereo pair).

3. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

What Jack said....

check out the new Von Schweikert VR-11s....they go for right around 100k [​IMG]

4. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Wilson Audio has a $135,000 speaker, reviewed here. There are others.

Is it worth it? Beats me. I don't have a spare half million to invest in audio.

5. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

That was a great review, but who knows if it was the speakers that had no limitations or if it was all because of those $3,000 speaker wires.

6. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

7. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

From the Wilson Audio review....

These guys must be laughing 'til they wet their pants when an order comes in.

8. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

LOL! [​IMG]

9. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

ultraaudio is wacky. Check out these reviews:

A CD lathe

$2000/m cables

maybe there's just a tiny bit of merit in redirecting financial resources away from such things, and into speakers.

10. NickSI

NickSI Stunt Coordinator

thanks all. i love the CD lathe i was cracking up! i'd still like to hear from an owner of one of these uber systems and there have to be them because for that many buisnesses to be around there must be a market.

11. Joe D

Joe D Supporting Actor

Insanity. That's about all I can say.

12. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

I think this speaker from German Physiks goes for about $250,000. I also heard they designed a custom pair for some guy for around $1,000,000.

13. Mark Seaton

Mark Seaton Supporting Actor

Mark Seaton
    While not quite stratospheric as the Wilson Alexadria's I got to hear 1-2 years ago, back when I slaved for a hi-fi store, I had the privilege of setting up two pairs of Martin Logan's $70,000 Statement E2's. They aren't in the current product listing, but I did find one of the brochures on their website:
    http://www.us.martinlogan.com/pdf/br..._e2_2color.pdf

While extravagently priced, they were quite a conversation piece. The bass system in that system is still one of the best I've played with. They were a lot of fun to play with so long as someone else was footin' the bill. [​IMG]

14. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

can anyone find a review of Infinite Wisdom Grande?

imagine telling your friends, I have Infinite Wisdom... [​IMG]

unfortunately it isn't here either, although the DK Design F7/LSA 10 is linked

15. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

I guess you would say these are one the first "super speakers" to be sold:

Infinity IRS (click on "IRS")

Back in 1980, the original IRS system sold for $90,000.

16. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

No, Lance, the IRS originally sold for $20,000. But by the time the model was discontinued it was closer to $100,000. I remember. Read the original test report in The Absolute Sound from 1980. And Harry Pearson kept that speaker system in the limelight until the day it died (his unit, the magazine's test unit, was "updated" by Arnie Nudell endlessly).

Thing is, the IRS was a damn good speaker, if overpriced (yet, Infinity lost money on each sale; it was a loss-leader).

17. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Thanks Jack.

I guess the amps for the woofer modules?

I remeber reading about the IRS way back in 1983 and was really excited when Pacific Stereo (they're gone now) started selling one of its cousins, the "little" Reference Standard II. What a power sponge! IIRC they had to use this huge SAE power amp - everything else in the store would shut down as soon as you turned up the music past conversational level. But very deep/powerful/clean bass was the result. They also sold the Acoustic Research AR9, with two 12" sealed woofers: even more of a sponge. But I liked the Infinity's more sparkling & airier presentation - the AR was too "dark" for my taste. And the RSII's just plain looked awesome!

18. Phil A

Phil A Producer
    Supporter

Phil
    Sumiko is just the US distributor for several brands like Sonus Faber made in Italy or Vienna Acoustics made in Austria. I've heard the old Sonus Faber top of the line (Amati). The most expensive part of the speaker is the cabinet (that's why may people like stuff like Magnepans). The old top of the line speaker is $20 or 22k or something in that range. Beautiful build quality and great sound. Whether it is worth that much money is a matter of personal preferences. In the world of high end audio there is no dollar for dollar incremental difference that may be worth it. For example, Vienna Acoutics Mahlers are around $10k and their Strauss' are around $6k. It does not mean the Mahler is almost twice as good as the Strauss or that the top of the line Sonus Faber speaker is 4 times better than a Mahler.

19. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Some of those outrageously expensive speakers (sonic wisdom grande) are designed for large rooms-- you know, the kind that come in multimillion dollar mansions. So, not only is it supposed to sound orgasmically good every time, it's supposed to sound that good in a 16,000 cubic foot room.

here's a an article on the sonus faber homage stradivarius.

20. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

I don't agree with these comments at all. This equipment is designed and sold by people, who are passionate about audio, for people who are either passionate about audio or have the money to spend on it or both. I really doubt that the people who sell these products, which others see as "snake oil," do it soley to rip anybody off and I seriously doubt that they get rich doing it, because it's such a niche market.

It may seem strange to some people, I guess, but the people who sell them truly believe in them and that they deliver exceptional sound, and the people who buy them truly feel they are making a good investment. Whether a pair of Wilson speakers sounds better than a pair of Klipsch speakers, or whether a $2000 pair of speaker cables sounds better than a power cord taken from an old lamp is subjective and ultimately irrelevant, if the listenter believes it to be so.