What's new

4 stroke string trimmers (1 Viewer)

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Has anyone here tried one of these? I bought one and find it much more useable than the 2 stroke models.

One annoying "feature" is the quick load head with it's precut line pieces. They get eatten pretty quickly when edging around concrete. I'm wanting to put a regular head on this thing that uses conventional spools of string.

Has anyone sucessfully done this?

Mine is a Troybuilt 465 straight shaft.

Thanks

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I've never understood these for most homeowners. For a lawn service or professionals (or people with very large properties) I can see a big advantage to mobility, but for a homeowner where everything you're going to trim is within a hundred feet of an outlet, what's the advantage to another oil change, spark plug, more gasoline, noise, another ICU to maintain? Electric is just perfect for this application.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
because dragging a cord is just a major pita. The maintenance work I do on my yardwork stuff is minimal at best. I'd much rather do that than have to worry about a cord. They aren't very convienent.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Agreed, I spent the first year in my house with a corded trimmer. After the first year, I just couldn't handle dealing with the cord any longer. My electric just didn't seem to have the power either that my gas powered has. To each his own however, I won't critisize those that use electric, just wasn't for me.

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
I have a 4 cycle Troybuilt trimmer as well. Mine came with a conventional spool of string. It's 2 years old and I can't recall the model number. Anyway, it works great as a trimmer and since I purchased the edger attachment, it works great as an edger too. The thing I like the most about it over my old 2 cycle trimmer is that it doesn't smoke like a mosquito fogger while it's running. You can also add me the "not a fan of corded electric yard tools" camp.

mylan

Screenwriter
I too suffered through the first couple years of home ownership with a corded trimmer, even if I wrapped the cord around the handle, it always came apart during use. My first gas model, a Ryobi, was a multi tool that had several attachments: blower, trimmer, brush cutter so when it died I opted for a 4 cycle Toro that used the same attachments. It is much quieter and like Mark says, no smoke. The only attachment I do not like is the edger, it doesn't seem like its got enough oomph to run it and it bogs the engine down so I have considered an electric Black and Decker Edge Hog. I've used my neighbors and it works great.

E

Eric Kahn

I also have a troybuilt 4 stroke trimmer, with the 2 line self feeding head and a blower attachment

works great and I do not have to have 2 different gas cans anymore

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I never understood the need for a separate edger or edger attachment...I always just tilt my string trimmer to cut perpendicular to the sidewalk. Is there an advantage to using a dedicated machine?

mylan

Screenwriter
Yeah, it keeps from eating up so much string, keeps you from straining your back tilting the trimmer for so long and makes a straighter edge.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I use my echo to edge also turning it upside down. I also rotate the handle and its easy to hold why edging. True, I do have to pay attention to what I'm doing, but it works well.

My echo uses pre-cut pieces of line that you manually insert into the head when the line needs replacing. Its a pita, but you get used to it. It would not be acceptable to a pro doing lots of edging with it.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
I have a Ryobi 4 stroke. I also have the blower attachment. Both work just fine, but I will say that the 4 stroke does not have the torque of my old 2 stroke. It has enough torque for what I do, but I paid extra for a 4 stroke so if I had it to do over, I would buy the two stroke since I have to use a gas oil mix for my snow blower also. I tried my neighbors edger attachment and didn't like it at all. I have a Black and Decker electric, and it leaves a much cleaner/nicer edge.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks