What's new

4"+ smartphones -- the market has spoken (and it says yes) (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yeah that was kinda the point of my size list, I shoulda added the Mega to the list. I expect all of you Androidists are gonna flock like seagulls to the Mega cause bigger is better, amirite? (sarcasm alert)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Good ad. I like the action photo feature idea. Have you seen people in the wild use the bump-to-share feature? It's a clever idea, but is it used?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I've never seen it used personally. The most useful thing the ad pointed out to me was the "you don't have to touch the phone if your hands are dirty/greasy" feature.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I never used the bump/NFC feature (on my GS3) either -- nor my wife on her GN2 AFAIK, but the idea itself is apparently popular enough to spawn a fairly popular cross-platform app called Bump that my father seems to love and got me to try a while.The Android version of Bump has 10M-plus downloads w/ 83K-plus ratings on the Google Play store although the company seems to claim 100M-plus downloads worldwide across all platforms. _Man_Sent from my mobile device

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
This harkens me back to the whole Monica/Bill thing...

In this day and age of disposable "media", in another 100 years...will there be anything to show anybody?

I know Facebook keeps everything "forever"...but one day Facebook will end...what happens to all those pictures?

But back to Monica/Bill...there was only one photog in all of Washington DC that had a "public" picture of Bill having actually met Monica. He only had it cause he shot on film.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
ManW_TheUncool said:
I never used the bump/NFC feature (on my GS3) either -- nor my wife on her GN2 AFAIK, but the idea itself is apparently popular enough to spawn a fairly popular cross-platform app called Bump that my father seems to love and got me to try a while.The Android version of Bump has 10M-plus downloads w/ 83K-plus ratings on the Google Play store although the company seems to claim 100M-plus downloads worldwide across all platforms. _Man_Sent from my mobile device
Bump has been out for several years on the iPhone. I got it straight off when I got my iPhone4....and never used it.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
To iPhone 6+ owner Sam Posten:

Nelson_Ha-Ha.jpg

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Laugh it up, fuzzball! You earned it, mostly!
Sam Posten said:
There's a big difference between doing something BECAUSE it is contrary to what the rest of the crowd is doing and doing something that is against the grain because you feel it is the right way to go.If Apple makes a bigger iPhone you can be sure it will be nothing like the bigger Androids that you are a fan of. And I cannot speculate whether that device would captivate me enough to buy one or not but I suspect that they would have to make the form factor different enough to be worth it. I'd have to give it a hard look and evaluate it on it's own merits for being my next phone. I don't like the bigger androids today because of a number of factors:-The form isn't comfortable in my hands-The resolution is about equivalent to the iPad and I'd rather have a bigger device with that (OR BETTER!) pixel density or a smaller device with remarkable pixel density, this seems like a poor equivalent for the size-They tend to eat up more battery lifeCould Apple solve these issues and make me happy? Probably. I bet an Android developer who wanted to could too, but I'm not holding my breath for either of them to do so.
All three problems solved. Two out of three were not solvable in 2011. And they went 1.5" bigger than what you were clamboring for, Win/win/win I say.

I'm still not convinced they fully solved point #1. But the rest of the solutions have softened that disagreement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks