(4) PB2-ISD's VS. (2) B4-Plus's

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by RyanWarEagle, Jun 24, 2004.

1. RyanWarEagle

RyanWarEagle Agent

Hello all, I am thinking about the upgrade. I have 2 pb2isd's right now and i am going to upgrade. I have a theater room that is 22x17x8. I know that I "do not need" anymore than what I have right now but you know how that goes. My options are to sell the 2 pb2isd's and get 2 b4plus's or either add 2 more pb2isd's. Going with 4 isd's would be much cheaper, but would it be possible to get all four of them to sound right together? Also if I could get them all together properly, how would they compare to 2 b4-plus's? Any help would be great. Thanks guys.

2. RyanWarEagle

RyanWarEagle Agent

Hello all, I am thinking about the upgrade. I have 2 pb2isd's right now and i am going to upgrade. I have a theater room that is 22x17x8. I know that I "do not need" anymore than what I have right now but you know how that goes. My options are to sell the 2 pb2isd's and get 2 b4plus's or either add 2 more pb2isd's. Going with 4 isd's would be much cheaper, but would it be possible to get all four of them to sound right together? Also if I could get them all together properly, how would they compare to 2 b4-plus's? Any help would be great. Thanks guys.

3. Eddie Horton

Eddie Horton Stunt Coordinator

I don't have a clue, but whatever you do I'd glady make the drive from Bham to Auburn to hear that!!!

4. Eddie Horton

Eddie Horton Stunt Coordinator

I don't have a clue, but whatever you do I'd glady make the drive from Bham to Auburn to hear that!!!

5. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru
    Supporter

Craig
    Two B4+ ... easy call.

6. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru
    Supporter

Craig
    Two B4+ ... easy call.

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Yes, 2 B4+.

4 of the smaller ones will get you output, but 2 of the bigger ones get you output *and* low freq extension.

As far as integration, I think that more subs are usually easier to integrate than fewer. Some white papers over on Harmon Intertnational's web site about that.

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Yes, 2 B4+.

4 of the smaller ones will get you output, but 2 of the bigger ones get you output *and* low freq extension.

As far as integration, I think that more subs are usually easier to integrate than fewer. Some white papers over on Harmon Intertnational's web site about that.

9. terence

terence Supporting Actor

The B4's will have the advatage, no contest.

10. terence

terence Supporting Actor

The B4's will have the advatage, no contest.

11. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

i would question whether you could do 4 of them, one crossed over speaker level with each main and each surround... this would give the best HT integration.

BUT, if you did 2 B4+'s, you could do them as main preout subs and get a similar result.

12. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

i would question whether you could do 4 of them, one crossed over speaker level with each main and each surround... this would give the best HT integration.

BUT, if you did 2 B4+'s, you could do them as main preout subs and get a similar result.

13. Mark Seaton

Mark Seaton Supporting Actor

Mark Seaton
    A much more even comparison would be 4 cylindar subs vs. the B4+. Obviously the ability to not have to sell your current subs is easier. With 4 subwoofers you would have a nice option of placing the subwoofers in a few locations. Or just keep all 4 in a corner. Of course one single subwoofer may be easier to set up and locate aesthetically.

Some considerations.

14. ChuckRG

ChuckRG Agent

I'd also vote for the 2 B4's only for simplicity sake (and if you can, place them symmetrically so they do not create cancellation. Harmon Kardon web site not withstanding, getting 4 subs to integrate is NOT easy.

At least that was my experience as I had 2 B4's and 2 PB2+'s and the 2 B4's alone sound (in my room) much better

15. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Might I be so bold as to suggest an alternative? What about either dual PB2-Ultras ($2,550 each delivered) or dual PB2-Plus subs ($1,298 each delivered)? One thing to note is you could pick up either dual PB2-Ultras or four PB2-Plus subs for the price of two B4s. And that thought is just sick. Better bring in a structural engineer to verify the structural integraty of the house.