What's new

3D vs. 2D - overall quality difference? (1 Viewer)

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
Hi, I'm planning on upgrading my TV in a month or two, and I remain unconvinced about 3D. However, I've noticed that there isn't a great deal of price disparity between 2D and 3D sets (my price range is quite low... in the $700 range... and I'm looking for a 46" or 47" set). I'm an "old movie" lover--and other than Dial 'M' for Murder and Creature from the Black Lagoon (and maybe Kiss Me, Kate -- if it's ever released in 3D) there are virtually no titles that interest me in the 3D format [I'd get Scorsese's HUGO, but I can't think of any other recent 3D release that I'd bother purchasing]. So my question is this: do 3D TVs exhibit 2D images with no drop in quality (this is going on the assumption that all the other specs are equal)? Any help would be appreciated.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
This isn't a hard and fast rule but in general the best 2D devices also display 3D. Or, looking at it another way, pretty much every name brand 3D TV is a pretty stellar 2D device. Honestly terrific HDTVs are now a commodity item. You can go nuts like I did and spend over $2700 on a top of the line 3D Plasma but the pure image quality differential there is hard to put a value on.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Sam Posten said:
This isn't a hard and fast rule but in general the best 2D devices also display 3D. Or, looking at it another way, pretty much every name brand 3D TV is a pretty stellar 2D device. Honestly terrific HDTVs are now a commodity item. You can go nuts like I did and spend over $2700 on a top of the line 3D Plasma but the pure image quality differential there is hard to put a value on.
+1. I got a panasonic gt25 set. it works great. the PQ is just amazing for both 2d and 3d. I agree with the other poster. you should be fine. I would recommend active 3d over passive unles you have a big family where you need alot of 3d glasses. plama is also the best way to go with 3d if you ever do consider 3d. Jacob

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
Just select a 3D tv which plays best 2D just in case the 3D hype dies down. I am planning to buy one in the future and I will use this same advice when I am ready to buy. I hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks