What's new

3D TV (1 Viewer)

Matt203

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthew
I have read that in the next couple of years 3D TVs will be available (LCD panels, I guess). What will this mean for home theater set ups with projectors and screens. Will they be obsolete, or will they also be able to support 3D, some how?

MikeGee

Second Unit
If you are holding off buying a new TV in hopes to wait for a 3D supporting TV, I wouldn't bother.

I'm sure if the TV can do 3D then it'd be able to support regular TV. I also wouldn't hold my breath for the whole 3D tv to become a reality anytime soon.

I'm sure they are going to improve the technology but to make it affordable in the next 5-10 years seems to be a stretch for me. However we'll see .. in the future.

Richmanray

Auditioning
Real Name
Rich
I got a preview of the 103" Panasonic in 3D about a month ago and I was impressed. I don't think Panasonic's 3D is something I'd watch all the time but what I saw was very interesting. It involves a special Bluray player, LCD shutter glasses and IR emitters on the left and right of the screen. Plasma might have a leg up on LCDs in regard to 3D TV. Watch for Panasonic to come up with some 3D stuff before Christmas.

GregK

Screenwriter
The BluRay group is expected to announce their 3-D standards sometime in December.

Optoma and I believe Acer will also release 720p front projectors next month that do true 120hz (meaning they will accept a 120hz input signal) and can do 1280x720 per eye.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I and all the other Samsung and Mitsubishi DLP owners already have 3D TV and if we buy into the system (Software that runs on a PC, wireless transmitter and LCD shutter glasses) we can have all source in 3D. It costs a few hundred dollars to do the setup and you need a healthy PC to do the processing.

GregK

Screenwriter
The Samsung and Mitsubishi models (starting in 2007) uses the checkerboard 3-D approach: http://www.dlp.com/downloads/Introducing%20DLP%203D%20HDTV%20Whitepaper.pdf which roughly results in 810x1440 per eye, when used in the 3-D mode.

The upcoming 3-D front projection sets are pretty close to that with 720x1280 per eye. True 1920x1080 per eye 120hz DLP projectors are currently on the pricey side, but they too will drop.

Matt203

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthew
Thanks for all your replies guys. But what I meant is that the 3D flat panel TVs to be released by Philips don't need 3D glasses. Will it be possible to view a front projection in 3D without glasses, somehow? If not, I'm afraid they will be obsolete.

GregK

Screenwriter
Based on the systems available, I really don't see "3-D glasses free" front projection (or in the cinemas for that matter) anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks