What's new

3D 3D titles from the 1980's on blu-ray.com (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Y'know, even within the dying frame work of Internet April Fool's, I'm trying to imagine how "Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + Anaglyph 3-D" would work. :wacko:

(There was a Universal Jaws 3D in the pipe at one point--hence the digital Expo print--before the sequel boxset was pulled to concentrate on the Universal 100th original, but different from the confessed fan-fakie art we see here.
Another fan also confessed the Photoshopped MGM VHS cover for Four Crowns. That's like giving someone in the Sahara a drink of water in a dribble glass.)

GregK

Screenwriter
It sounds like speculation and/or merely placeholders for titles that haven't been released. To further muddy the waters, bluray.com have used custom artwork made by Fritz Nilsen for TREASURE and JAWS III - which were made to be retro looking by design per request of a client. (see post #403) http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/308016-blu-ray-custom-cover-art-thread/page-21

With that being said, it wouldn't surprise me to see three of the four eventually released on 3-D Bluray. The fourth? ... Maybe.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
The owners of Comin' At Ya and Treasure/Crowns are trying to make a "comeback" in the hopes of getting them onto disk, and the Alamo Drafthouse has been helping them along the way. That's just buzz campaign right now, and nothing at the moment, but it COULD do something.
And we know Jaws 3D has been mastered, as the digital print is showing at the Expo, so last summer's rumored boxset may have been delayed after all.

That's all If for the moment, though, and nothing on Friday 13th, with or without the Paramount/Warner deal.
There are rumors of Shout Factory getting the Amityville sequels together, but whether that includes III-D is pure speculation at this point.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Not to throw any cold water on this, but to be realistic.
Don't expect Shout to spend any money on prepping a 3-D release, unless the studio has already done the work and it's ready to go.

Unfortunately, none of the MGM/UA titles have been done. They don't want to spend the money.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Hey Bob,

Sorry, a little off topic but, anything new on DRAGONFLY SQUADRON being released on Blu-ray? I know you posted somewhere that it would probably be the first title that you will have released.

Also, do you have any info on WB release of House of Wax on Blu-ray 3D? I know they talked about the third or fourth quarter of this year. I didn't know if they would use the current Chace stereo soundtrack on the DVD or have a new one.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Hi Roland,

No, still no deal for DRAGONFLY. Everybody's afraid to touch it: a Golden Age 3-D movie that nobody has seen or heard of. They have no barometer to gauge sales.

I have not heard one word from WB on HOUSE OF WAX. I was contacted by an outside production company that is putting together a documentary for the disc, but that's it.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Well that's good news that they will have a documentary on House of Wax.

Getting back to the 1980's titles, I'm curious how the Japanese group that released Jaws 3D, Friday The 13th 3D, Spacehunter, Metalstorm, Comin' At Ya!, etc. in the VHD 3D format, got the rights to do this.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
This would be back in the 80s, when the disc format releases were by and large manufactured by the player manufacturers, licenced from the distributors. In the case of VHD, Victor Company of Japan (JVC to the rest of the world) got the rights solely for Japan. Because JVC had fairly deep pockets due to its domination of the videotape format war, and because VHD was on tenuous footing already (3D was kind of a hail Mary pass), they could licence the rights for, say, 10 years with an option to renew without breaking the bank. As well, because 3D came and went fairly quickly in the 80s (81-85), it's also possible the rights holders were more than willing to participate in the experiment to see if they could squeeze any cash out of it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
There's no mention of 3D in that Amazon link. Seems like the standard blu ray.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Amazon has Friday the 13th 3D for pre-order. Release date of Sept 26.
Any word if this a repackage of the anaglyph, or a proper 3D release?
https://www.amazon.com/Friday-13th-.../ref=tmm_blu_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=
It definitely looks like a repackaging of the anaglyph disc to me. The Friday movies have gone in and out of print since they moved from Paramount to Warners and now back to Paramount over the years so I'm assuming this is just Paramount putting out a version of the same disc with their logos on the packaging again.

gazadams

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gary adams
Has anybody ever had a answer to why, Friday the 13th wont come out on 3d blu ray ?

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Its the same old thing they never list anything clearly about these re releases for the poor souls who buy them in good faith and usually get caught finding its anaglyph. I do of course hope it is a 3D remaster but not heard anything about that happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks