What's new

3D 3D settings - screen size, depth, and brightness - what do they do? (1 Viewer)

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
Most 3D capable display devices have these 3 settings: screen size, 3D depth, and 3D brightness. Can any of our experts tell me exactly what they do to the 3D image, and how the settings interact with each other? I've seen many guesses online, but not many facts.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Not an expert; just an avid hobbyist. Because brightness is effectively halved by 3D, either by polarisation or shutter glasses. 3D brightness allows you to adjust the screen's brightness for 3D presentations to compensate for the loss. My display actually compensates for this automatically. Screen size supposedly adjusts convergence of the left and right eyes, but I haven't seen much of a difference. 3D depth adjustment actually adjusts where the frontal plane of your screen is, and I find it to be extremely useful for the home 3D experience, as it has the side effect of reducing ghosting with my particular display. I have my Panny 50" plasma set at +1. At this setting, BD menus float in front of the screen, but the distance between 3D planes seems more "realistic".

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
Stephen_J_H said:
Not an expert; just an avid hobbyist. Because brightness is effectively halved by 3D, either by polarisation or shutter glasses. 3D brightness allows you to adjust the screen's brightness for 3D presentations to compensate for the loss.
I've 'heard' that the 3d brightness setting controls the shutter frequency - higher frequency means a darker picture, but a smoother effect. Lower shutter frequency means a brighter picture - but that's the problem, and the point of my post: We're both guessing based on what we see, and what we've read. I'd like to hear from someone who knows for sure.
Stephen_J_H said:
My display actually compensates for this automatically. Screen size supposedly adjusts convergence of the left and right eyes, but I haven't seen much of a difference.
On my Epson 5030UB projector throwing on a 110" screen, the screen size setting makes a noticeable difference, however...
Stephen_J_H said:
3D depth adjustment actually adjusts where the frontal plane of your screen is, and I find it to be extremely useful for the home 3D experience, as it has the side effect of reducing ghosting with my particular display. I have my Panny 50" plasma set at +1. At this setting, BD menus float in front of the screen, but the distance between 3D planes seems more "realistic".
The 3D depth adjustment also affects the apparent separation between the left and right eye images, in fact depth and screen size seem to be doing the same thing.So back to my point: Can anyone elaborate with more authority, or link to some good reference material?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
It would've been helpful to know that you were talking about a projector. My plasma is actually physically brighter in 3D mode; if I take off my glasses, it's almost blindingly bright. It would also be useful to know what equipment you have besides your projector, as anything in the chain can impact the 3D effect.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Further, I doubt that 3D brightness has any effect on LCD shutter speed because any adjustment to shutter speed would have an effect on ghosting/double images. The glasses are supposed to be synchronised to the refresh rate of the display. I could understand a change in opacity, but again, we would have a ghosting problem as a result.

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
Stephen_J_H said:
Further, I doubt that 3D brightness has any effect on LCD shutter speed because any adjustment to shutter speed would have an effect on ghosting/double images. The glasses are supposed to be synchronised to the refresh rate of the display. I could understand a change in opacity, but again, we would have a ghosting problem as a result.
Make no mistake though, I appreciate all responses. I'm just trying to get some definitive answers. In many cases it seems like even the employees of the manufacturers don't understand what these settings are really doing.

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
I put in a call to Epson, and went through the first 2 levels of tech support, who have no idea. I've been referred to level 3, aka 'the projects team', which sounds encouraging. I'll report back if I hear from them.

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
I'm climbing up the tech tier at Epson, until I heard "if THIS guy doesn't know, then no one does!" Hope to update tomorrow.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This is an amazingly old thread to resurrect but as a fellow Epson 5030 owner, I’m wondering if anyone ever got any definitive answers on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks