What's new

3D Projectors - do they exist and are they any good (1 Viewer)

GnarlyCow

Auditioning
Real Name
Trevor Callaghan
Since I'm building my new home theatre, I want to make sure that my projector (and any other equipment required) can do 3D. I haven't seen very many projectors on the market that advertise 3D. I know that the 3D stuff is in it's infancy, so perhaps I should wait a bit. One suggestion I had was I should get 2 projectors to create the 3D. Is that looney or is that how it's done with front projection?

Also, as far as I understand it, the receiver needs to have HDMI 1.4 to handle the 3D signal. Is that correct?

btnphx

Auditioning
Real Name
Mahesh
I have a Optoma GT720 and it says it can handle 3D! I just got a 3D Receiver and perhaps I may have to get a 3D DVD player. Once I do that I can check if the 3D on GT720 really works!

Hope this helps!

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Personally, I would worry about getting what is best for now and not even try to future proof it for later with regards to 3D. Especially, based on the following reasons (unless you have plenty of disposable income):

- Projector technology is probably the fastest changing element of an HT, so most likely whatever you buy now will be replaced within 5 years anyway.

- Without knowing how well it will perform with 3D it may not be the one you want when the technology is stable.

- Who even knows if it will actually work when 3D is ready for prime time.

- You will be limiting your choices possibly sacrificing now for a future that doesn't pan out.

- Cost, staying one step behind the curve will save you money to make that next purchase in a few years when the dust settles.

I would recommend you just focus on getting a projector and DVD player that best suits your needs for now, which will provide you with more optons, as well as probably save you some cash for an upgrade later. For a receiver, I would focus on getting one to use as a prepro and get a separate amp for the power. It is much cheaper to swap out low power but feature rich receivers over time when the amp section has been separated out then to try keeping ahead of the curve with a high-end high-power receiver.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
A problem with 3D projection is, "what kind?"

A polarization dependant one will also require a special screen -- metalized -- to preserve the polarization.

If it's alternating frames, with "shutter glasses," then the screen doesn't matter as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks