What's new

3805 Images (1 Viewer)

Neal_C

Second Unit
So will the 8 band parametric EQ be good enough to solve the 10db or so humps I have in the 20 to 80hz range?

If it will do that, it might be worth selling my Rotel 1055 and going to the 3805.

The EQ, Denon link (to use with the new lower priced dvd player(s) Denon is coming out with in the summer), 7.1 channel on board (I use a Rotel 1075 amp so this isn't that important cause I only use 5.1 right now), Prologic IIx, etc...just might be worth it.

Thoughts?

Neal

jeff_coil

Stunt Coordinator
Neal I would save up and get into a pre/pro. I have the 3803 and a 1075 as well don't get me wrong it is working out good I am just looking for even more (much like the AVM 20 feature set) when I make a change. But with that said I bet it would make a good pre/pro and in theory should knock down the humps but no one will know until it is out on how good the EQ is implemented

Neal_C

Second Unit
Jeff,

I was kinda asking in theory on the EQ...is 8 band theoretically good enough for what I need to do? I have been contemplating getting a BFD, I'm just not sure I have the patience and time to set it up. So obviously, something that would do it for me and can be tweaked afterward if it isn't perfect would be ideal.

I'm very happy with what I have so far...and for all purposes, I basically have a pre/pro. My 1055 is nearly identical to the 1066 pre/pro, except that I have some power if I need it and I have a tuner. When it comes to ratings on paper, the 1066 should sound better, but in real world situations, there are no differences in sound quality. So basically the 1055 is a pre/pro, just not sold as such.

Is March here yet so I can demo it? :)

And it is so hard to save up that much money when there are always other things to buy. I either want to switch to Dish and get the 921 or get the HDTivo when it comes out.

Neal

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am waiting for the AVR-3805 to be released as well so I can check it out more closely. This reveiver would replace my Yamaha RV-X995. I heard the demo at CES this year for this reciever and was very impressed. One big difference even though it does not include a mic. The Denon has memory for each source for the auto acustic set up. The competitors do not have this features and I was told that the set up is faster than the others as well. My hat off to the factory rep that showed off the 3805 at CES. The 3805 has a very clean look as well as very good detai and solid soundstage. It also does not hurt that this reciever has more toys that makes this model very versitle. IMHO Denon hit a big home run in this price point that allows more consumers to own a top notch peice of equipment. While the 3805 has three component inputs it only has component out with 3 composit outs, 100 MHz video, RF Remote, Adj crossover from 40 Hz to 120 Hz. I also believe that you can output video to the third zone with this reciever. If I am wrong I apologize but I beleive that is the case with this model. The Deon AVR-3805 was paired with M&K speakers just like last years CES show where they showed off the AVR-5803 with M&K's. They also if I remember correctly had a D-VHS deck showing a clip of XMen 2 in HD. IMHO Pioneer Elite has serious compition with the Denon 3805 when it finally reaches store shelves this year. The 3805 shows that features and quality is not impossible in a lower cost solution. Denon used the DTS demo disc to show off the 3805 that had nothing short of rock solid performance, clean and crisp audio and a spacious soundstage that faithfully reproduced both movies and music. High frequencies are crisp as bass is tight and solid. I give the AVR-3805 two big thumbs up and would recomend it to anyone looking for a reciever in the $1200 price range.

So is it March yet ? :D

Hey Neal I would also consider Direct TV and Voom if you just want HD movie content along with HD local content as well.

Neal_C

Second Unit
Dave,

I currently have Directv right now, so I might wait for the HDTivo to be released. Voom is an option, but I'm not really ready to dump a bunch of money until they have been around for a little while.

But back on topic,

The crossover settings can actually be : 40, 60, 80, 100, 120, 150, 200 and 250hz.

I saw the Denon demo as well at CES and I was very impressed with the 3805. And I believe the crossover can be set for each speaker, but at the very least it can be set for center, mains, and surrounds independently. The Denon rep showed the crossover setting screen, but I can't remember exactly how it looked and what could be set.

Also, I believe you can only output analog audio to zone 3, no video to that zone.

Neal

As I can see, this is the first generation of Denon receivers with HDCD support from the receiver, like some (top of line) Marantz (influence of the marriage perhaps?), Kenwood, NAD and H/K.

Very elegant design by the way

David Judah

Screenwriter

Thus far the companies offering EQ have reserved it for frequencies above 60 Hz, so if Denon follows that trend(I imagine that will be the case with 8 bands to work with), you will still need a BFD or similiar EQ to handle the real low modal peaks.

I'm interested to see how they have designed it. Hopefully, it'll be an improvement on Yamaha's YPAO, since it is a newer product.

DJ

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know if this has a graphic EQ for all channels ala 1400/2400? That would be very useful to some.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks