What's new

3805 best price - not authorized dealer (1 Viewer)

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Like I said... They want to have their cake and to eat it too.

I would be extremely surprised if they are selling the units to unauthorized retailers for less money than the authorized retailers. They either need to tighten up their distribution chain to stop the unauthorized people from having units to sell, or just honor the warranty.

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have a background in consumer electronics and distribution, so I don't speak from experience. But, as was revealed during Klipsch's recent lawsuits to halt unauthorized selling, the vast majority of grey market supply comes from authorized sellers dumping inventory in an effort to manage cash flow.

In other words, it is not normally a mfr activity but one that happens in the supply chain...

John

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Yes,Denon for instance sell their products to large wholesale distributors,after that it gets to be sold to dealers authorized or otherwise. So yes Denon isn't responsible directly, but they're actually shifting the responsibility to the consumer to make sure they buy from authorized dealers or else.Frankly they disclaimer is disgusting at the least,and I'm sure they can be hold liable despite their warning.I'm sure it "scares" people away without the "know how" to their friendly neibourhood Denon dealer.;)

gregD

Second Unit

Maybe... but I'm sure some guy who's frantically trying to shave $200 off the price of a mid-level AVR doesn't have the time or resources to chase that down in court.

This topic returns again and again, and even though the words include 'authorized', 'unauthorized', 'warranty' and 'liability', the unspoken lament is always the same -- 'why does everything cost so much?'.

Because the distribution chain in home electronics (or any business in this country - how ' bout those food prices? gas? concert tickets?) is so overbloated with middlemen and payoffs, that not-really-80-watts-per-channel receiver is marked up to the moon by the time it's in our view, grey market notwithstanding... we don't get access to discount pricing (not without a catch), as there's little left after distributors are done grabbing money on the table.

If you wanna (or can) enforce those perceived liabilities, more power to you.

A less stressful course may be to simply decline the Denon product (they're not exactly the Holy Grail, after all)... wait for sales... pit retailers against one another... pay in cash... there are ways to negotiate reasonable discounts.

Mick: "You can't always get what you want"

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

That's right. Creativity definately plays a key role here. It's weird how I've "stumbled" across vendors who are authorized for certain audio products that I've purchased. Each of them were great to deal with - and without much asking, were quite flexible in their discounts which made me purchase from them. In return, I've been able to recommend friends to these local vendors because of how well I've been treated.

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator
>>It's weird how I've "stumbled" across vendors who are authorized for certain audio products that I've purchased.

StephenHa

Second Unit
one thing I have seen with unauthorized delaers is sometimes they aren't what they advertise, or a few are stolen Sony has sent a letter to authorized dealers in the past to show customers about some of the products Wal Mart had all were stolen (they had a truckload stolen and sold to a distributor) they said no warranty for anything not bought from authorized dealers. One big reason to buy from the authorized guy is you may just get someone who knows the product, and when that local expert goes out of business and you complain you can't run down the street to get something quick what will you do?

Oupei

Agent
i bought an 2803 from an unauthorized e-tailer back in march. it broke in may and I took it to norman's electronics (one of the service centers listed on the denon website) and they took a copy of my receipt (actually my shipping statement) and are repairing under warantee. might i draw attention to the present tense in "are repairing"

it took them 3 weeks before they even looked at it, 2 weeks to decide they need a new part, 3 more weeks for that part to ship in, and now they found that they need to replace the whole mainboard so they've ordered another part from denon and here we are. but it's being repaired under warantee, so I'm not complaining too much :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks