What's new

3802 and Superman (1 Viewer)

Robert G

Stunt Coordinator
I was watching Superman the other day for the first time since getting my Denon 3802. I noticed several times throughout the movie that there was a harshness to the dialog. It is hard to explain but it is a very annoying high pitch sound. The most noticeable occurrence is in the voice of Clark Kent's boss(Yeah I should know his name but it's early) at the newspaper. The scene just before Lex Luthor contacts Superman via the sound that "only one thing with less than four legs can hear". He has a line that talks about how hard he worked to get where he is and when he says "elbow grease" the word elbow is very harsh. This not the only occurrence in the movie but the most recognizable to me. Can any other 3802 owners help me out and listen to that scene and tell me if they hear anything abnormal. The sounds are noticeable at anything -18 from reference and above. I was listening at -10 when I first noticed it and it was quite annoying. I have a B&W CC6 center speaker but it is also noticeable when I hook up a B&W 602 as my center. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
You could be hearing soundtrack problems from the original mix. It was recorded in the 1970's on less than stellar analog equipment. Digital recording technology was at their disposal even back then, but Hollywood was (and still is) too cheap to try something better.

Just had to rant...

Dan

Robert G

Stunt Coordinator
I was thinking the same thing. I can't remember hearing this with my old receiver. But I am thinking that since I listen at a louder volume now due to the 3802 and SVS subs being much more "ear friendly" than my old setup that I may not have noticed it before.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
I don't own Superman but I remembered when renting it that the sound was pretty damn good. I know some people don't like the new 5.1 mix, but I thought it sounded pretty good.

I don't recall any harshness at all during the movie. And I usually pay close attention to all of my movies that I watch.

I use Paradigm Reference Studio speakers with my Denon 3802.

Robert G

Stunt Coordinator
Ok I tried hooking up my 602 as my center again and the noise was not there. I can hear a slight crackling sound no matter what system I play it on but the harshness I was speaking of was gone. I tried to reposition my CC6 and still the same noise. I then messed aroung with the tweeter(moved it in and out ever so gently a couple of times. Just for grins I tried it again. No harshness what so ever! I played the scene over several times and the noise never came back. Every other track I have played since seems to sound more natural as well. Go figure. I have no idea what I did but I'm glad I did it.:confused: thanks for he replies folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks