36 inch and larger 16x9 CRT direct view HDTV's?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Lee-c, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Lee-c

Lee-c Second Unit

I was wondering if you any of you guys might be able to tell me what makes and models of 16x9 CRT
    direct view HDTV's 36 inches and larger in size are available that you are aware of? When we get a HDTV,
    this is the type and size we would like to get.

I've been looking around, but haven't seen much. Also, any opinions on such models and which
    you think are better than others would be appreciated.
    Thanks for any info.! [​IMG]

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Lee, are you talking about 4:3 or 16:9 sets?
    At Avsforum.com, they have a section just for Direct View Tube sets.

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

There aren't any crt direct-view 16/9 sets larger than 34" currently available. RCA sold a 38" model a few years ago that was very trouble prone.

4. Lee-c

Lee-c Second Unit

Jim, yes I'm talking about 16:9 direct view CRT HD t.v.'s only.

You'd think they'd have bigger than 34 inch sets currently available by now. They've had
    years to perfect them. Does anyone know of any plans from any manufacturer to come out with
    sets bigger than 34 inches? With HD DVD on the way in the next couple years in the U.S., you would
    think the t.v. companies would be ramping up production on some nice big 16:9 direct view sets,
    as demand will no doubt be high. [​IMG]

Do you guys think that direct view 16:9 t.v.'s larger than 34 inches will be coming out soon?

5. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Doubt it. There are huge engineering hurdles to overcome before they can do over 34" in a 16:9 tube. It is very costly to manufacture a reliable 16:9 tube and the limit for this seems to be 34". The largest 4:3 tube (40") is only made by Sony and it is extremely expensive for what you get. 16:9 is even more difficult being that the sides are so much shorter than the width, and I'd imagine the thickness of the glass needed is beyond the capabilities of manufacturing it within a reasonable cost.

6. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

I agree with Jeff. Plus, if you want something bigger than 34", I'd argue most people would just go rear projection or LCD/DLP. I ended up with a 42" 16x9 RPTV that is probably about the same size but lighter than a 34" 16x9 CRT. Plus I get an extra 8" [​IMG]
    I can't imagine how insanely heavy and bulky a 38" 16x9 CRT set would be.

7. dany

dany Supporting Actor

shopping.com
    cnet.com
    eCoustics.com

A few places with some tv info.

8. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

I'm not sure if this is correct but I believe I saw 34" + CRT tube TVs being hold in Japan.

9. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

My brother bought a Mitsubishi 40" in 1997 and the thing cost $4200.00. For that price now I would definetly go RPLCD. He just bought a DLP set for the same price and is now selling the Mitsu for $500 bucks with his statet of the art Bose Lifestyle 35 for $1000.00. I finally got through to him...[​IMG]