What's new

32" LCD mounting woes (1 Viewer)

Erick P

Stunt Coordinator
My girlfriend bought a new 32" Sony LCD TV and I bought her a Peerless tilt mount. I went over to install it tonight. I took my trusty stud finder and didn't find ANY studs along the entire wall. The house was built in 1960 and the wall felt pretty solid (knock test). There was already a hole in the wall where the coax cable ran out of the wall, so I pulled out the little cover and the wall seemed to be made of some kind of concrete material. I made a hole in the wall and there's about 2" of material before the hollow space. My friend thinks it might be cement board, but isn't that used mostly in bathrooms? And isn't 2" pretty darn thick?

Either way, I'm at a loss. I was thinking maybe I can use toggle bolts since the TV isn't heavy - 25.1 lbs without the stand (according to Sony). The mount itself weighs about 8.8 lbs. I figured since the wall is so damn thick that toggle bolts will suffice. Thoughts?

bigstufff

Auditioning
Real Name
James
To be honest your trusty stud finder probably isn't going to find too many studs through 2inches of concrete plaster anyway!

There has to be studs in the wall - try making a larger hole (just big enough to poke a tape measure in) and give it a wiggle around left/right up/down inside the wall - you WILL hit something solid if you persist!

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Alternatively, depending on how trusting you are, Togglebolts or, my current favorite right now, Snap-Toggles (aka Togglers, I think) are nice.

But yes, there should be studs.

Although on a plaster wall... there may only be relatively small metal studs every 10-15 inches that were just to hold up the lathing. If you've got a 2" thick plaster wall, then you can probably crash a tank against it without too much trouble.

Leo

robko44

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob Konikoff
Go to the electrical outlet on the wall (any one will do) there is a stud on one side or the other then measure 16 inches from that and you should find another stud. I live in a house built in 58 and they are all plaster but the studs are there. I personally don't trust toggles because their surface area is very small so they have a tendency to pull into whatever they are tightened up to and become loose over time.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Robco44 is right. Electrical codes dictate that electrical outlets must be mounted to the left or right side of your studs. Use that as your guide to find the studs you need to mount the TV to the wall. Since your stud finder cannot find them then use a small drill bit to find the wood and use the proper screws to secure your mount. You didn't mention which Peerless mount you have but I don't know any company that recommends the use of toggle bolts, especially if you have one that articulates away from the wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks