What's new

32" HDTV Options (1 Viewer)

Jon Balmer

Auditioning
Hi all,
I am now considering three sets Samsung TXMxx, Hitachi UDX and Toshiba 32HF72. Out of these three which will give me the best picture with Standard Directv and DVD? Are there any particular issues with these manufaturers I should be aware of. Thanks.

Evan Hartnett

Stunt Coordinator
I'd say the Samsung is the best out of the three. I've been in a similar situation trying to figure out which 32" I wanted for a few weeks now and, even though I had some problems with the Samsung I got, I would recommend giving it a try. The main reason I don't have a Samsung at this point is crappy service at Sears, otherwise I probably wouldn't still be waiting for delivery of another TV from a different store.

The Hitachi seems like a really good deal as well, I decided against that one (well, actually the 36" because the price was the same as other 32" sets) because the curve of the screen really bothered me and the lack of inputs. The picture was pretty good and the extra 4" makes a big difference but I just don't think I could go back to a curved screen.

I looked at the Toshiba and wasn't all that impressed, it didn't seem like it handled standard definition material as well as the other ones I had looked at. I didn't look at the Toshiba very carefully though, I pretty much knew I wasn't going to buy that one based on past problems with Toshiba.

Jon Balmer

Auditioning
How much difference would having the 3D Y/C filter have? The Samsung only has a std 3 line comb filter. The Toshiba is a little pricier but I can get 18 months free financing on the Toshiba. Is the Toshiba worth the extra money?

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I actually thought the toshiba had a better picture than the sony HS500 on standard material, haven't payed much attn to the samsung. I am considering the toshiba. The hitachi is nice but with the curved screen and only 1 component input, it was off my list. The samsung has gotten great reviews but I haven't seriously considered it. I may have to look into it more closely. I am seriously considering the sony 32hv600 and the toshiba 32HF72. I'm sure once you get it home and tuned up, there won't be much difference and you won't have the other next to it so you won't even notice which is better and won't even care because you would be so amazed by the picture and you will never regret your purchase.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
The better comb filter would only come into play for composite and RF input sources. If your DirectTV connection is Svideo or component input then it shouldn't matter.
I've also been looking at these sets but I'm not sure I'm ready to pull the trigger for $1300 for the Toshiba. The Samsung is a little too wide for my entertainment center and I didn't like the Sony remote at all. My 20 inch basement area/workout tv died and it's come down to this for me:
#1 - buy a cheap analog 20 or 27 inch set to replace it such as the Toshiba 27A32 for $270.
#2 - a buy the $1300 Toshiba 32 inch HDTV ready set and move my current den/home theater 27 inch analog Toshiba - 27A40 - into the basement. We sit about 8 feet away from the 27 inch and what I am worried about is that 4:3 cable material is going to look bigger but also worse.
#3 - find a higher paying job and spend ~$2K on my dream 16:9 34 inch widescreen set :)
I've been vascillating back and forth all the while my wife is getting antsy about not being able to workout! :D
cheers,
--tom

george king

Supporting Actor
The Hitachi (I own the 36" version) IMO has the best picture, especially the colors. The Perfect Vision thinks this is a great budget HDTV set, especially since it is only $999 now. The one downside is that it only has one set of component inputs.

Hope this helps.

TimG

Second Unit
We are currently in the market for the same thing. The problem with comparing these tv's is at least in my area you are talking about a rather large range of prices between them. Both the Samsung and the Hitachi are the same $999. But the Toshiba is $1300 and the Sony is $1500. We ruled out the Hitachi because of the "beach ball" screen (too curved in my opinion, also only one set of component inputs). So it is down to the Samsung, Toshiba, and Sony.
The sony has a lot of inputs, plus DVI input, plus we have several other Sony components so we are used to the remote and the ability to control our other components, (Receiver, dvd player, cd changer). But warranty is only 1yr parts and 3 months labor, plus it $500 more than the Samsung.
Haven't really looked at the Toshiba much, but it is priced between the Samsung and the Sony. The warranty is 1yr and 1yr, the same as the Samsung. Don't like the remote, but that is a minor problem.
The Samsung has been getting good reviews, only $1000, has a 1yr and 1yr warranty. Also has a decent remote, but has that stupid s-video input on the side instead of behind. What the hell is with that? Anyway, sorry for thinking out loud and the long reply, what to do, what to do. :)
TimG

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Well, last night after much research over the past week, we decided to simply buy the Toshiba 27A32 for the basement and put off the more expensive purchase for the "home theater" room. In the end, it came down to the fact that the 32" 4:3 HDTV-ready sets are really a compromise for me. Going from a 27" to a 32" wasn't worth the money even if it is a HDTV-ready set. At the moment we have no plans for getting any HDTV content. This would strictly be for enhancing DVD movies. My wife won't allow a dish or any other foreign object to be attached to the house :) And who knows when the cable company will get their act together. At the moment, we can't even get a cable modem (or DSL for that matter). So given these facts, a 32" or 34" 16:9 widescreen set is really the best long term option for us but at the moment $2K is simply too much for us to spend. We both know that prices will continue to drop on these sets as they are mass marketed more and more. So we decided in the longer run, if we're patient, we'll be able to get the same set for closer to $1K in a year or two.
But if money and excess were no option, I'd definitely go for the 34 inch 16:9 Toshiba widescreen or Sony 34XBR8000 :D
good luck everyone with your purchase,
--tom

Kevin N

Stunt Coordinator
Assuming I can sell my current 16:9 55", I'm also in the market for a smaller 4:3 set.

I recently ruled out the Sony set, unless I could convince a local store to sell it for $1299 ($1499 price tag retail). It was originally on my list for the DVI input, just in case, but the more I think about it, the less that makes sense to me personally. I'll more than likely be ready to upgrade to a standard 34"-40" HDTV closer to the cutoff date (2006), and I'm sure by that time the 34" set will be about the same price as the standard 36" sets are today, if not a little less.

The Toshiba, Samsung and Panasonic models all look like very good possibilities. I'm heading out this weekend to take a serious look at all of them. My main concern is in picture quality after being ISF'd. My Mits looks beautiful on DVDs, and I would like to come fairly close with any new TV that I get. I've read that there's alot less that can be done to a direct view set. Is there anyone out there who has a direct view HDTV that's ISF'd? It'd be great to hear experiences.

Jon Balmer

Auditioning
Well it looks like I've narrowed it down to the Toshiba 32HF72 or the Samsung TXM3296. It's been hard to compare these sets as most stores have them hooked up using RF connections with a poor signal. I did not notice any severe geometry issues with either of these sets. I will be hooking up DVD and Directv with component hookups. I would love to hear from people that own either of these sets to let me know if the are happy or if there were any particular issues they encountered.

Ferdinand*T

Second Unit
Anyone? I'm in the same boat. I refuse to buy Sony's over priced Wega's. So my choice is either Samsung or Toshiba and the Samsung TXM3297HF is winning.

Calvin S

Agent
I don't quite understand why so many eliminate the Hitachi due to having one component imput. For how much cheaper it is than most comparable TVs, you can buy a component switcher. Also, many Home Theater receivers now include component switching. Also, I think the Hitachi screen is pretty flat.

But anyway, for those that just can't get past those two points, I'd go with the Toshiba. Every time I've seen the Samsung, it's looked pretty bad. I'm not impressed by its picture at all. I think the Toshiba and Sony pictures are pretty close, and since the Toshiba is cheaper, go with that one. For anyone considering the $1300 32" Panasonic HDTV, keep in mind it won't perform an anamorphic squeeze for DVDs. They have a more expensive one in their Tau line that does, but you might as well go with the $1300 32" Toshiba one that does do the squeeze.

JasonRH

Second Unit
Also, when you check the samsung out in the store put it in widescreen mode and look at the left and right sides of the picture. You may notice a screen door like effect as a result of the squeeze. I have the 27 inch model of the set and it is very noticeable. I'm exchanging it for the Toshiba tomorrow. Just something to look for.

David Lorenzo

Stunt Coordinator
The Perfect Vision reviewed the Toshiba 36HFX72 in the November/December 2002 issue and praised it highly. I'll type a quote here because you can't get the review online without paying for it.

This is the entire conclusion portion of the review.

Although this 36" set has a 4:3 aspect ratio, this Toshiba has so much else going for it, and is such a great value, that it takes our Direct-View Finalist honors. With accurate color reproduction, perhaps the best integral scalar in the industry, a rich feature set, and the ability to display widescreen sources with their full vertical resolution, the 36HFX72 is a stunning bargain at $2199.
I wouldn't even consider the Hitachi because you can't defeat SVM "edge enhancement". I wouldn't get any TV that doesn't let you defeat that picture butchering mode. I know the new Toshiba's are HF units and not HFX, but I would imagine that the HF series would be about equal to the HFX.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks