What's new

<30w NAS build recommends (1 Viewer)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
so i got meself a kill a watt and started to realize my primary NAS (Dell PowerEdge t610) is costing me roughly $300+/year! and yes it's on 24/7. it's currently got roughly 6+TB storage on there out of 12.6TB of usable space.

the only thing i do with it is:
-file-share storage
-make local backups
-stream video/music off of it

been out of DIY builds for quite a long time... maybe almost more than 10yrs+.

i have been investigating all sorts of options out there, but need some recommends. i do like syncology/qnap/etc. any or all of those variations are great... but it is still >30w idle i think 30-60+. while that is great.... i'm looking for some ultimate savings and take some of that $300/year cost in electricity into a system that'll pay for itself in the LONG haul.

in the long ago past, VIA mini/nano itx used to dominate and used to be king. but nowadays there are obviously raspberry pi and stuff like that.

i've been vacillating between pi and a intel atom or super lower powered platform variant.

what i'm looking for:
-less than 30w total draw (complete system including HDDs)
-@least 4HDD (8+TB) if not more
-stream to more than 3 devices in the hosue
-dont care about the rest of the spex

i guess my biggest question is:
Q1: Should I build all of this into a single box: low powered board+all the HDD
or
build a lower powered system that'll seed off of a separate NAS box?

Q2: I've been searching for custom NAS boxes... but they appear to not really exist too much... or am i looking in the wrong places?

Q3: Is it possible to just power all the HDDs using AC adapter->4pin molex straight up? (Yes i am willing to go at this length to save $). This way, I can just get have the power from the RAID card run itself.

any thoughts would be much appreciated!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
As for custom NAS boxes, they're popular in the HTPC world. Build a box with a bunch of drives and install a dedicated RAID OS like unRaid (http://lime-technology.com) or freeNAS (http://www.freenas.org). Or build a dedicated windows or linux box and run software like snapRAID or flexRAID and use it as a network media server.

You can play with this to get a ballpark on power consumption for a PC
http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

I suspect this is all familiar to you, since you're doing something along these lines right now. But the low-power options have greatly increased in the past decade, I understand. This is a decent website for (re) learning the basics and getting up to speed on contemporary builds. The website seems to have been re-designed since I was reading it just a few months ago, so you may have to make an account and search bit to find the low-power build descriptions.
http://mymediaexperience.com/updated-htpc-recommendations/

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've got my HTPC on the Kill a Watt. I've not done any streaming from it or transcoding. But I have a sense of its power consumption.

This is a brand new PC, based on a 3.2GHz i5. It's idling around 30W. Currently, idle but with one of three drives at 100% (disk-health scan running), it's using <38W. Playing an HD 1080p movie, it spikes to 60W at start and then idles back at 35W.

No streaming tested.

So, new, high-power PC, no particular effort made for low power use, and it's running under 40W.

You should be able to build a low-power media server that uses under 30W with a little research.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks