What's new

$30US Titles Are Killing HDM's Chances! (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Ed, Warner Brudders must concur with you. If you recall, they recently announced they were lowering prices this comng autumn. That's a move that parallels what they did during the early days of DVD when Disney, Fox, and others had very high prices that were hurting DVD. Warner did 16 x 9 and low prices when some other studios didn't wanna do either.

In many ways, the Blu script is quite similar to DVD's. Warner's role looks about the same.

$30 BD's are bad enough but there's a hell of a lot of $35 BD's getting dusty on local shelves 'round here.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I firmly believe that BD & SD DVD need to be the same price in order to eventually replace the old format with the new one.

But one thing is that BD disc sales are rising.

SD DVD sales are not growing like they used to.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig

I have this idea, based on what I've been seeing for the last few months, that there has been an industry-wide "agreement" to raise SD and BD prices across the board (I'm talking U.S. prices here). New SD prices have increased considerably. And it seems that in general new BD prices have too. There was a window a few months ago when many new BD prices (not from Fox) were very close or even cheaper than the new DVD prices.

Is this just from my very limited view of the sources I regularly buy from? Really, it looks to me that we're back in ~2000 by the new release pricing.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
"Funny, since many of my friends and relatives are saying how "great" my TV (meaning the picture) looks when I play some 720p/1080p games or 1080p movies.. Of course, I don´t really do these "Blu-ray vs DVD" demonstrations to them, so who knows... I did it once, and my friend said that he sees "the difference"."

I never did a "demonstation", just popped in the disc. I have one friend who is also a geek like myself who owns an HDDVD player and a Bluray player. He has a better display than myself, he is my only friend who would prefer high Def media over DVD when it comes to watching a movie.

For the record I have a 1080p native 37" Sharp LCD hooked up directly to my PS3via HDMI and calibrated with AVIA. What could I be doing wrong? Or do my friends all need there eyes checked? Maybe they are just liars. I guess I can discount my ex's opinion anyway. But im pretty sure it comes down to the fact that most people dont care enough about quality. Maybe thats why we see so many Kia's and Hyundais on the road....

Ya know, if BMW and Mercades lowered there prices...

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Were you guys watching the DVD and BD stuff at the same distance from the screen? How far were you sitting from it? Try sitting two screen widths or slightly less away from the screen and repeat the demo. Then see if your friends still think that BD looks the same as DVD.

I'm using a 57" set. I can sit 10' from my set and still notice differences between SD and BD discs, especially colorwise. The differences become even more apparent as you get closer to the screen. Upscaled DVD almost always looks soft. A salesman at my local stereo shop demo'd a projector for me. He used T3 as the test disc. As soon as the image came up I knew I was looking at upscaled SD not a Blu-ray disc. It looked good, but as usual it looked soft to me.

A buddy of mine bought STARGATE: Continuum on SD and brought over to my place to watch it. It was okay but all through the film I kept thinking to myself, "This looks bad. Should have rented the BD." Of course, I wasn't about to tell him that since he thought it looked pretty good.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Frankly, it is all relative to the display. His set isn't so good so my set looks good to him. I think my set looks okay, but I know I have issues with lost high frequency detail and so on.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

I suspect Criterion just figured their market's way too niche and (SD) pricing already high enough to still try to bump the BD pricing higher. :P :D

Personally, I have no problem w/ BDs being priced a little higher than DVDs (maybe a few bucks higher), and I don't know why anyone else should have a problem w/ that either.

Of course, part of the problem is that although the MSRP diff may not be that much in many/most cases, the street prices *are* often much higher for BDs -- at least at the B&M stores. The diff for online pricing seems more reasonable OTOH. And no, I don't think it'd be fair to bring in bargain bin prices for particularly old DVD titles into the discussion. It makes more sense to compare pricing for recent releases.

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The MSRP of software hasn't become higher and actually has lowered for some BRD from studios like Sony and Warner catalog titles. However, retailers are no longer discounting software like they did in the prior gravy days of SD DVD.

Crawdaddy

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Hmmm... I haven't noticed that. Might just be your imagination. ;) :D

Only things I've noticed is that the stores themselves (whether online or B&M) have been changing their pricing strategies over the years though some of that were probably related to how the studios price their products as well (both in terms of MSRP and actual distribution/wholesale pricing, etc.).

For instance, although most of the better (ie. BOGO) HDM sales had ceased on online as soon as the format war ended, actual sale pricing did not get worse across the board at the B&M level. Personally, I'm finding sale pricing between B&M and online stores are coming more into parity, and the everyday pricing of BDs seem to be going down a bit over time (and we're really only talking ~7 months now) although the crazy BOGO sales have stopped.

But honestly, I don't know why anyone should expect frequent BOGO sales to continue anyway. That is just totally unrealistic. Meanwhile, we *are* getting occasional B2G1 sales combined w/ general downward trend in everyday prices. *THAT* I think is what we should expect and actually want to happen for the long term success of the format, and again, remember, it's only been ~7 months since the format war officialy ended. And of course, while frequent BOGOs have stopped, that doesn't mean we might not see some BOGOs pop up again during the holiday shopping season.

OTOH, yeah, if prices don't keep coming down over time, then the format just won't become mainstream (and replace DVD completely). Whether that's acceptable or not is another story...

_Man_

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
To be honest I never pay attention to MSRP, so I really have no idea there. Except I notice when the MSRP for Canada is mentioned in a review here and then I am shocked (I don't actually buy BD in Canada, so far...).

Thing is, in the last few months, I have noticed so-called BD sales and B2G1 etc. are actually similarly expensive (or at least not much cheaper) than the same BD discs were a few months ago when not on "sale". Hard to compare for new releases obviously, but just in general. I put it down to it being the summer, typically not a great pricing season for home video. I think this Thanksgiving will give us a better BD pricing perspective.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
When Warner lowers prices this fall and embarsses the other majors and way out-sells them, I suspect. What will the usual suspects do, same as DVD, I figur, quietly lower prices. That's what Disney and Fox had to do after DIVX was over and they tried to enter DVD with 30+ prices. I remember Disney announcing that DVD MSRP would be raised from $29.95 to $34.95 but before it got implemented, I quess Warner's sales or urgings turned 'em back.

When you look at the higher DVD prices, I think it's purr-fectly simple. DVD sales have eroded due to recording, so, do like the musick kompanies did in that situation. If you lose volume you raise prices to maintain revenue. Besides they may need lower DVD prices later as a show, so, start down from higher figurs.....to help position Blu...?

Deep catalog DVD's, the sort I'm apt to be searching out, seem like the ones that have gone up the most. I mean, some months ago when I was looking for some Orson Wells and Preston Sturges stuff, many of the prices I was encountering were higher than what I was paying online for BD's and HD-DVD's.

I'm expecting history to repeat with Warner leading the way. If $35 discs are here to stay or very long, BD is Laser Disc nouveau, maybe a bigger Laserdisc till prices slide. Warner's actions suggest to me that they want Blu to replace DVD as promptly as possible.

What's really sad is looking at the sunday circulars and seeing a $30 BD advertised, and then in a DVD ad across the page, the same title for $9. I've repeatedly seen such in the past months.

Latey, I've already seen quite a few Fox titles drop about $10. Mmaybe the Warner threat is working some already, or Fox is desperate for sales. The truth is proably a combination of both....?

MatS

Screenwriter
lack of content will do more to hurt HDM than pricing at this point and time
who cares what the prices are when 90% of the content is crap, it's just not worth buying in the first place

open the vaults and roll out the catalog

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
It's also not like JSP needs to buy BD's to have access to them, they're available to rent from places like Netflix and Blockbuster so price for the discs shouldn't even be an issue.

Get granny a Blu-ray player for X-Mas and a NF account and she's good to go, assuming of course she has an HDTV. Ah hell get her one of those, too. ;)

Speaking as someone who used to pay $40 bucks a pop for laser discs I don't mind the price of BD's, the quality I get with them is well worth it. Plus I look for deals and sales, the other day I bought The Hunt for Red October, Twister, The Perfect Storm and I, Robot for $25 a piece at Best Buy, and my local FYE has used BD's for less then $20, I bought Monster House for $17 and some change.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

Very well said and I agree 100%. Better almost always cost more.

Loregnum

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
I personally do not have an issue with prices for new releases (at Amazon we're talking maybe 7 bucks more per new disc and better quality means you pay a premium) and think 18-20 is fair for catalog titles if they offer a very good improvement over the dvd. Having said that, I do see how some may balk at current prices or think they need to be lower for the mass population and I fully expect it won't be long before we see a lot of 15 buck blu-rays and 20-22 buck new releases become common.

As for some saying the improvement over dvd isn't easily visible...the only thing I can conclude is that people who feel that either:

a) do not care and are the type who would say a Lexus LS460 isn't much improved over a toyota Camry

b) are simply watching on small TVs

I challenge anyone who isn't in group A above to view a dvd and then a bluray on a 100"+ screen and say there isn't a good difference. I recently watched 3 dvds on my 106" screen (all upscaled to 1080p via the Toshiba XA2 hd dvd player) and I wound up shaking my head during each movie at how bad the quality is compared to blu-ray/high def. I then thought to myself how crazy I think it is when people say the diff between HD and dvd is small.

To me high def is to dvd what dvd was to VHS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks