What's new

300 Spartans and HTF Member Reviews (1 Viewer)

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
The last I heard (which was in a column by Barrie Maxwell at The Digital Bits), 300 Spartans was delayed due to that oft-used umbrella of a reason we've heard so often, "poor elements." A perfectly valid reason (the better these films can be made to look, the happier are we all, of course), but exactly how poor the elements have proven, what restoration is needed versus what restoration has been green-lighted by the studio, whether video restoration or film restoration (or both) are to be undertaken, or whether the studio is simply searching for better existing elements without any plans for restoration ... I have no idea, and in the absence of these details it's really anybody's guess just how long a delay this might be. But the release was reportedly "delayed," rather than canceled, so I continue to hope more news is forthcoming.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I see they are selling widescreen DVD's of this title on EBAY. Anyone have one of these?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Roland,
I suspect those are bootleggs and therefore, not open for discussion on this forum.

Crawdaddy

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
The last I heard (which was in a column by Barrie Maxwell at The Digital Bits), 300 Spartans was delayed due to that oft-used umbrella of a reason we've heard so often, "poor elements." A perfectly valid reason (the better these films can be made to look, the happier are we all, of course), but exactly how poor the elements have proven, what restoration is needed versus what restoration has been green-lighted by the studio, whether video restoration or film restoration (or both) are to be undertaken, or whether the studio is simply searching for better existing elements without any plans for restoration ... I have no idea, and in the absence of these details it's really anybody's guess just how long a delay this might be. But the release was reportedly "delayed," rather than canceled, so I continue to hope more news is forthcoming.
I just finished watching this DVD. Here are my impressions.

Fox must have found really good "elements" because the picture was really gorgeous, with nicely rendered colors & no evidence of dirt or scratches that I could see. The sound is 2.0 & it sounds just fine. The running time is about 5 minutes longer than is indicated on the back cover. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

This is a good purchase for fans of this genre of film. Better IMHO than more modern efforts. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
I decided to sit back and watch this latest release from 20TH Century Fox instead of going out and enjoying a nice spring afternoon. Guess I must be addicted! First off I thought the cover art looked very fitting and Fox even includes a liner inside with a chapter listing. The transfer itself looks pretty good - I caution that this is on a 27" tv hooked up to a Toshiba 1600 via S video. The film is shot in Cinemascope (2:35 - Anamorphic of course) and the colors look very good with good black levels. Audio is presented as 2 channel stereo and I was using some basic cables and analog out to a higher end stereo system. That being the case I thought the music score itself was not up to par in that there was alot of scenes where it sounded somewhat distorted. The dialog itself was easy to follow and seemed quite solid.Alot of very good photography which showcased the scenery as only something like Cinemascope can. I would say that overall the film was worth buying and although not what you would define an Oscar winner it was still quite interesting and moved along well enough. Basically if you like movies of this era I don't think you can go wrong. Certainly I found it more compelling than Warner's Helen of Troy - which to make it worse cost more. Fox does it again with a solid release that wears its age well - except for the unfortunate problem with the soundtrack. It could well be an improvement using digital out which I am not able to compare as my Panasonic AE500 is down with an expired bulb at the moment. I may give an update on how the image holds up on a dedicated 2:35 screen (107"). Anyone else feel free to comment.

StevenFC

Second Unit
I don't think I've ever seen this movie. Would you compare it to the great sword and sandal epics like Spartacus and Ben-Hur? Or is it more in line with the Steve Reeves, Saturday afternoon type of fare?

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I don't think I've ever seen this movie. Would you compare it to the great sword and sandal epics like Spartacus and Ben-Hur? Or is it more in line with the Steve Reeves, Saturday afternoon type of fare?
IMHO I'd say "The 300 Spartans" falls in the middle of those two examples.

You're welcome Oscar. :)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I've dug out this old thread because I just bought the UK R2 of 300 Spartans and the soundtrack is 2 channel mono. The R1 version is described as stereo but can anyone confirm that it is TRUE stereo. By true stereo I mean, of course, whether there are separations between left and right speakers. I've read some reviews of the R1 DVD but unfortunately many reviewers seem incapable of appreciating the difference between a 2 channel mono spread and genuine stereo sound. I have my doubts that this film was ever made in stereo but would appreciate any information to the contrary.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
The copy that I bought last year wouldn't play past the first chapter on both DVD players I tried it on. Has anyone had this happen or did I just get a random bad copy? I'd love to give it another try. I could never figure out why movie review guides always gave this one such poor reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks