What's new

30 Days of Night - On the screen in theaters - should be on Blu-ray disc (1 Viewer)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Just finished watching "30 Days of Night" on Blu-ray and I was very dissapointed with the forced subtitles on the disc. The disc should have included the specified subtitles where they were located on the OAR theatrical film frame of the movie.

Note: If subtitles could be relocated via blu-ray specifications from the menu, this would not be a problem.:rolleyes

The 1080P Blu-ray disc was authored in the films original theatrical ratio of 2.40:1, but with one very important exclusion. The mandatory forced subtitles (the subtitles for the translation of the vampire language) are not within the original ratio film-frame of the movie.

Instead, the subtitles on this disc are partly within the movies 2.40:1 frame structure and partly within the ATSC video formats 1.76:1 (16x9 screen area) where the bottom black bar is located on a full 16x9 screen.
This defeats the directors intent of what is seen on the film and is incompatible with the black matting in both theaters and home-theaters alike, also "constant-image-height setups that can optimize 2.40:1 aspect ratio will suffer, as the subtitles can't be read off the viewable area of the screen.:angry:

Please join me and voice your concern for proper Blu-ray home-theater compatiblity.

Thanks,

Paul

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
I noticed that while watching the making of clips.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Not using the original burned-in subtitles? We usually don't have to deal with this nonsense in the good o'' US of A - its usually an international thing. I wonder if they're just going to use the same master all over the world.

brap

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alisdair Edwards

More than likely. I think that idea is great. QC all over the world. one master to rule them all. lowers costs and no more hearing "Slovenia has a better looking DVD than us!".

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
This isn't a problem exclusive to Blu-Ray! Another one of the reasons I've not picked up the Star Wars DVDs with the original theatrical cuts is that I've seen them and know that the subtitles are sitting below the 2.35 picture and I now would not be able to even see them on my new Widescreen TV without running the picture matted on all four sides. That isn't original theatrical cut at all by literal definition!

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

TravisR, could you unpack that a bit more? I'm having trouble understanding how this could help the situation referenced above. Thanks.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I understand what Travis is saying. The original Star Wars is a non-anamorphic DVD. If you zoom in with the player, instead of the TV the subs wont be cut off at the bottom of the screen. The TV zoom will cut off everything, cause it doesnt know the subs are even being generated. But if you use the DVD player, it will reposition the subs so you can still read them. I have seen a few DVDs with subs that fall below the black bars, or are burnt below the back bars all the way. Non of this will help with 30 Days of Night. I watched this the other night. It was a fun movie, and the Blu-ray looked fantastic. I cant complain to much about the subs...myself. I am more miffed the anime episode of Blood + was not included, but was put on the DVD of 30 Days of Night.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, RickER, I will have to try that. Unfortunately, one of my biggest gripes about the Toshiba HD-XA2, which is what I would prefer to play the Star Wars DVDs with the original theatrical cuts, is that it doesn't support zooming. I will have to rely on my Oppo DV-981HD for that it seems.

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
hmm... I was under the impression that the subtitles on the original Star Wars were burned into the picture and thus impossible to move. I've only ever seen these DVDs once from when I was working as a projectionist at Carleton University, the newest DVD set for 'A New Hope' was left there in the booth for another class and I screened it on my laptop and I recall the subtitles were in the same font used for Star Wars films prior... but below the film frame.

It has only been since then that I've had a widescreen TV and I haven't tried to view these discs on it since I can't justify paying for them.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Crap, they're doing this on Blu-Ray too??? I'm REALLY sick of this on regular DVD, just watched "The Legend of Zorro" and had those ugly yellow subtitles come on below the picture. It happened when one of my cats jumped on the sofa too, so I thought they hit a button on the remote. There's been a few movies I've checked out from the library recently that I returned without watching because they had burned-in subtitles replaced with player-generated ones: The DaVinci Code, Babel and Syriana (the last 2 you can just turn all subtitles off completely, but then they don't make a lot of sense unless you understand all the different languages!)

stephen^wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Sony did the same thing with the blu-ray of The Replacement Killers,Whilst the deluxe dvd had the burned in subtitles during the scenes in cantonese,the blu-ray replaced them with player generated subtitles that overlap onto the black bar at the bottom of the screen.Extremely dissapointed in this practice.The player generated subs on blu-ray are 1000 times better than dvd and i don't have a problem witht them as long as they are placed within the frame of the movie.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
As 30 Days of Night was released by Sony Home Entertainment, I thought it would be appropriate to complain to Sony Pictures Entertainment insider "paidgeek" at "Blu-ray.com".

Here is his and my response:
It's just a matter of time where more people will be using anamorphic lenses for optimum capture, but I feel right now that it is just as important with the use of black matting around the projected film ratio, because subtitles can also be unreadable.

Dual position subs is a great suggestion for a standard-feature!

PLEASE!

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks