What's new

3 zones (1 Viewer)

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve

Ok no tuner in that one so the modulator senerio may be out.. unless you want to creat your own tuner for that tv by using a VCR connected to one of the video inputs. I'm beginning to think you should go to the next paragraph..

I would suggest we move on to a distributed Video system instead of trying to modulate everything. Price wise when all is said and done will pretty much be a wash. And ease of use will be greater. I would suggest the Russound CAV 6.6 (that's 6 sources and up to 6 zones(rooms)) does all the A/V switching the amps are all built in, Takes care of the IR Remote issue to operate all the reset of the equipment in the basement, and would be a 1 piece solution. Wiring would remain the same, with the addition of 1 Cat5 from the equipment in the basement to the Volume control ( Now would be a LCD Keypad instead of just a Knob volume control). You would have to decide on what level of volume control you want. I would suggest the 2nd level (ONE UP FROM THE BASIC) which fits into a dual gang box instead of a single gang box.

Take a look at it at the russound website.

www.russound.com

it's under multiroom solutions, Rnet series, system controlers, CAV 6.6 system

This would also give you the option of doing different things in the 2 bedrooms. and you can always expand it as the amp is built for 6 zones so if you ever want to add music to the kitchen, outside or anywhere else all you need is the wires, keypad and speakers.

It's a slightly more advanced project as you will need to learn to terminate the Cat5 with RJ45 ends, (or have someone come and do that part for you) and if you want to get the keypads fully programmed to do everything it's a little more involved. I would suggest the UNO ST2 keypads for ease of use.

And thier AM/FM tuner is plug and play. just connect it and the keypads show you what station your on, can change stations right at the keypad etc....

corneliu

Grip
Real Name
Corneliu Caraba
That looks great. I like it. About the keypads is it possible to mix them? like say for example in one of the bedroom he wants the nice looking touchscreen :) and use S2 keypad in the other?

One other thing I'm a little confuesed here: The video signal how does it get upstairs? It will use the coax cable? (I didnt see any connections for coax) or will go thru the Cat5? And is it possible to have video signal thru S-Video or RGB? or is it too complicated?

Thanks.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
The Video is brought up with the same coax just putting a different end on it..

You can mix keypads. The Touchscreen runs about $1000.00 each

That product really isn't consumer installable. You need the software that is available to certified installers only.

It's a great piece and would fit your need to a T, But it's going to require more knowledge on the termination of the ends of the cat5 and Coax. And will require more knowledge in the programming of the unit.

I would highly suggest that if you are going this route to hire a professional A/V company in your area that deals with Russound products. It's possible for the consumer to get it going, but it's a VERY VERY Advanced Project for the Novice.

They are Really Great systems I've installed many and have had no complaints what so ever with the operation and functions of this unit. I'm just not sure it's something you would want to tackle yourself.

It would be like trying to get you to install a Crestron Product. It's not a DIY project at all.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
If you are interested in that type of product I could contact my Russound Rep and find out who would be the installers in your area. You could at least get a quote from them and they might have another solution. Estimates are free (don't pay for one). I'm sure someone locally would be happy to come over and look at what you have while the walls are open. I'm sure most should be able to come out same day for an quick review and give you an idea on cost.

Going this route sounds like the best solution for what you want to do and goes way beyond the "Home Theater Basics" area.
You now Graduated to the Advanced Projects Area!

You can also go to russounds website and they have a "find an installer in your area" link.

www.russound.com go the the "Where to buy" link on there website and follow it through.

corneliu

Grip
Real Name
Corneliu Caraba
yest it looks quite complex, but I'm confident :) the thing is I have no ideea who sells them and cant find much on the net. I've been reading some of the manual and I'm under the impression that programming can be done from keypads, but I might be wrong. Are there any other alternatives to russond? who's their competition?

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Russound is really not available for purchase as a retail piece. Yes it can be programmed via the keypads, but it's quite the extensive flow chart to navigate the programming. If you stick to the Uno-S2 Keypad that you could do yourself and actually get away with little programming as it passes the IR directly back to the source equipment through the Cat5 that controls the keypad. You just point the remote at the keypad and it sends the IR signal down to the equipment to operate it.

Not sure as to where you will find it at the retail level. Again go to russounds website and follow the "where to buy". You can probably purchase it from a install company in your area and if you get stuck they can always come out to give you a hand.

I'd be happy to sell it to you, but I can't give you the hands on help if and when you get stuck, so I don't think I would want you to go that route. Find someone local through the russound website. It's really your best bet!.

I can't even think of any other product in it's class that's even close to a DIY system. Their compition would be systems like Crestron, and other Multi source multi zone distrubution systems. Non of which are available at the retail level. You might find it on ebay, but you won't find any support from ebay after you purchase it there. If you can even find it..

A local dealer is your best choice.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Corneliu-
I think Steve has the right idea when he is suggesting you get in contact with a qualified dealer/installer in your area. It sounds like you parents are willing to invest in some nice gear. It would be a shame for them not to get the maximum capabilities out of it. While I don't doubt that you could probably install most of what they end up with it would be worth while to bring an expert out to the site who can ask questions and make suggestions that only come from years of experience combined with a site visit. I bet you could even get one to engineer a design a system that you install and program for a nominal charge. Try the dealer locater a CEDIA.net for qualified installers in your area.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
There would be one other solution that I can come up with. Since they are looking for am/fm and cd listening and sharing of one Dish receiver. You could go with an independant inwall solution for each bedroom.

I've got this in the bathroom of my own house and have installed these in many bedrooms for solutions..

It's the Speakercraft SoundSource. It's an inwall am/fm and CD player with two aux inputs. You could use one for the Dish audio and have seperate am/fm cd listening for each bedroom..

Just another thought....

corneliu

Grip
Real Name
Corneliu Caraba
I think the russound cav6.6 its the best thing they can possibly get. I've been reading about it and I understand from all the reviews that is an easy to use equipment and since my parents are not really into this kind of stuff (took me 2 months to teach them how to use internet explorer :) ) Its good since they just press one button on the wall and watch tv or listen to music. Installation will be a challenge for me but I'm gonna go ahead and try. This is their summer house or farm watever they wanna call it, its in the middle of nowhere in central Wisconsin :) so there is no really rush to get everything going at once :).

Anyway he's hiring people to do all wiring for electricity and everything else in a few weeks and I have to tell them what cables I need for this so :

2 x coax RG-6 from main location in basement to the 2 bedrooms

1 x 14 gauge 4 conductor from main in basement to keypad location in 2 bedrooms (each)

1 x Cat5 from main location in basement to the keypad location in the 2 bedrooms (each)

then speaker wire from keypad location to the inwall speakers in each bedroom

I think this should do the wiring thing. Again I'm not doing the wiring, I'm just giving instructions :) (feels good)

One thing I wanted to ask. Why do I need a spare RG6 cable for? What could I use it for in the future?

I found some dealers for the cav6.6 but I'm still looking.

Thanks for all the time you spent answering to my problem.

corneliu

Grip
Real Name
Corneliu Caraba
Do I have to run the 14 gauge 4 conductor wire to the keypad locations? or maybe straight to the speakers? From all the diagrams I looked at looks like I should run it straight to the speakers, but I might be missing something.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I always add the second coax to every room. it's actually extra, but you may find it nesessary in the future if you need it for Cable, off air antenna, or a backfeed of anything that's not switched throught the head unit. It's just better to put in it now and if you never use it, well you spent $10 extra bucks for nothing, but if you do need it you'll save $100's having it there and not trying to get it there later.

As to the 14/2 Speaker wires, we bring the rooms speaker wire to the keypad locations and the 14/4 from the Head unit to the Keypad(In addition to the Cat5E from the head unit to the Keypad). The reason for this is if for any reason down the road or the next person that owns the home doesn't want keypads it can be very easily changed to standard volume controls. All you'll be doing if you go the keypad route is wire nutting the 14/4 to the 2 14/2's that go to the speakers in each room. The other reason for usinging the 14/4 to the keypad is at the Amp end it's much easier to identify what wires are what as you will have 4 colors in the 4 condutor wire (Black, Red, White, and Green. It makes it real simple to tell how you have things wired. at the keypad end just wire nut or crimp cap the Red to the Right speakers Red, The Black to the Right speaks Black, The White to the Left Speakers Red, and the Green to the Left speakers Black at the Keypad. That way when it comes time to connent the head unit you know what's what's.

Red is Right pos
Black is Right Neg
White is Left Pos
Green is Left Neg.

Just a much better way to wire.

Make Sense?

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
oh No... We're on page 2!!! my design consultation price just doubled!!!:)

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
One other thing. If the keypad is not located on the same wall as the tv (sometimes we even put them by the headboard) If the keypad is not going to be within line of site of where the tv is going to be add another cat 5 from the keypad to another single Jox on the same wall as the TV. There is one more piece to the puzzle here. Since operating the Keypad relys on IR(invisible light of the remote) line of site. If the Keypad is not in line with the line of site of the tv from the bed (probably where you'll use a remote) You'll probably want to add the IR extender at the TV location (that's the extra cat5 from the Keypad to the TV wall) it's not absolutely necessary, but it's a simple install as the back of the Uno S2 Keypads already have a place to terminate the
Cat5 to the IR extender in the box near the TV. Might as well add that and if you find you don't need it, well, It will just be there unused, but better to have it there if you find the operation of the keypad from the viewing area isn't working to your satisfaction. As you know we all like pointing the remote at the tv to make it change what it's doing and with this system it will have to point to the tv, but just to turn the TV on. The rest of the IR information is through the Keypad so you either have to point the remote at the keypad or have the IR extender at the Tv Area and then you can just point at the TV all the time.

I'm on Tripple time now... LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks