3 VGA connestions into the X1?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Dave Borgman, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Dave Borgman

Dave Borgman Agent

Currently use:
    Hi-def cable box component out to VGA in on the X1. (25' run)
    DVD component out to S-Video on the X1. (25' run)
    H-def cable box s-video out to s-video on X1. (25' run)(manual switch DVD and cable s-video to watch non hi-def channels).
    Composite video for X-box. (25' run)

I would like to get a progressive scan DVD and hi-def X-Box connection. I see a couple of options.

First off i need to buy another 25' run of component for the X-Box.

option 1- run the 3 25' components to a HDTV component video switcher and run a short component out to the VGA adapter and into the X1.
    This is the component switcher I am looking at http://www.inday.com/rgb4x/rgb4x.htm (is the 230Mhz bandwidth enough?)

option 2- buy 2 more component to vga adapters and run the 3 components with adapters to a VGA switcher and a short VGA cable to the X1. Are there any good VGA switchers out there for around the price of the component switcher I am looking at. Can you get by with a normal KVM switch like a computer would use?

It would be cheaper to buy a 25' run than 3 short runs and use one of the existing 25' runs (and have 1 left over doing nothing)to run from the switcher to the X1 (in case your wondering why i would run 3 25 footers).

Thanks for any help
    Dave

PS I do try to answer questions if I have experience with what someone asks. its just my knowledge in this isn't very deep.

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I'm sorry I'm confused a little but if the problem is (3) 480p+ sources to the X1 the answer is simple..

Xbox, DVD Player, HD Cable Box --> Component switcher --> Component/VGA Transcoder (25') --> Projector

Does this sound right or am I missing something?

3. Dave Borgman

Dave Borgman Agent

OK did up a little drawing of what I am talking about.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I already have 2 25' cables. So it would be cheaper for me to buy 1 25 footer and do the switching close to the x1 rather than buy 3 short cables and do the switching at the front of the room and run 1 25' to the x1.

I guess my real question is. Is this component switcher a good one? http://www.inday.com/rgb4x/rgb4x.htm (is the 230 MHz bandwidth enough?)

#2 what is available for VGA switchers? I don't really want to spend 500 bucks like I have seen some selling for.

Dave

4. Phil_Lunar

Phil_Lunar Stunt Coordinator

I am also very interested to ear a good solution to hook multiple sources to the infocus X1.

I personnaly got a panasonic RP-62 DVD player, HDTV(soon) and My PC that I will love to hook to my X1 VGA port.

I to wonder what is the best for picture quality? Component switch box or VGA switch box?

I am not looking for the best on the market, but I don't want any picture quality lost for my low-mid range equipement.

a 100$(not including cable) solution will pleased me!

5. David Laplante

Hi,

Same here! [​IMG]

The switch that dave is talking about seems pretty good to me. I'll bet I can't find it in Canada though [​IMG]

6. JunoVazquez

JunoVazquez Stunt Coordinator

Try a KVM switch.

7. GuyMaren

GuyMaren Agent

I put the Inday component switcher near my electronics with short component cables and only run one 25 foot component cable to the projector.