What's new

3 Stooges Collection Vol. 7 - 1952-1954, November 10 (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Watched the two 3D shorts earlier. Not a bad processes and I saw very defiant 3D effects that came out good. The opening was priceless.

I have never seen either of the two shorts in 3D or in 2D and enjoyed them, in fact, I can not remember seeing any of these shorts so this collection is going to be a very happy experience. But a couple of the shorts seem a little soft.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
For reference, the first disc is all standard 1.37:1 width.

Disc Two starts with "Spooks!" and "Pardon My Backfire" presented first in 2-D and then 3-D. Both are widescreen 1.85:1 ratio.

Then there are two academy ratio (1.37:1) shorts, and all the rest on Disc Two are widescreen (1.85:1).

Harry

Bradskey

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Davis
Got it today and watched Spooks! in 3-D first thing. What had always been a goofy silly short was suddenly a lot of fun, with all the gimmicky in-your-face 3-D effects, that I always knew were there but could never enjoy. I had a lot of fun and laughed a lot watching it. Can't wait to watch the next one! This is truly a first class presentation by Sony. These releases have been thoroughly top notch quality and these shorts in 3-D are just extra icing on the cake.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Got my copy too. Have already watched a bunch of them. I must say "Listen Judge" was fun to watch. I also loved "Corny Casanovas" when they are working on the couch. Just one more volume and the shorts will be complete on dvd. I'm actually a big fan of the Joe shorts. So I'm very eager for the final volume. Have always loved Joe. He's a riot!

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
I wonder which side of the 3-D Negative was used for the 2-Ds - The Left or The Right?

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Has anyone noticed that in the opening for "Spooks!" you can actually see the black clothes the Stooges are wearing as Larry runs up to the camera. You never saw that when it was on television. I think that was the point. It wasn't meant to be seen. It's funny to see all of these effects clearly on dvd right down to how they created the effects. I guess you could adjust the contrast on your set if you wanted to mask the methods for the effects.

Two things: I've seen screencaps online. The short "Goof on the Roof" has horrible cropping at the top of the frame. During one gag, Moe's entire face is cropped off! They also show a full frame comparison. The cropping seems consistent at the top and bottom of the frame. How could the director frame this knowing Moe's face would be cut off, ruining the gag? Also, it doesn't appear that Spooks! has been printed in sepia for this release.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
They couldn't master SPOOKS in sepia because it was converted to the anaglyph 3-D process. It was only sepia in the original dual-strip (left/right) Polaroid release in 1953.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
GOOF ON THE ROOF is one of the best Shemp shorts, IMO. One of my very favorites in the entire Stooge canon.

This is one of the reasons I was concerned with insisting that these later shorts were all done in OAR for the DVD -- I didn't want them to screw up. I'd settle for GOOF ON THE ROOF in full frame rather than being cropped so badly.

Now - I wonder if Sony would recall these and "fix" GOOF ON THE ROOF? Hey, things like this have happened before. And all during these Stooges releases Sony has never been anything other than professional and willing to listen to the fans and give them what they want. This may be possible. It seems like Sony is determined to make this entire run of shorts PERFECT.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sony is continuing to monitor the feedback our members
provide. Grover Crisp, VP of Asset Management and Film
Restoration for the studio has asked me to post this on his
behalf:

We are well aware of how this particular short looks framed for 1.85. There are, indeed, shots that are tight as has been mentioned, but there are many shots where this is not the case. This short needs to be seen moving, like all movies. Whether or not the film was shot entirely for projection at 1.85 or not, the film was unequivically intended to be shown by the studio widescreen and that is how it was released to theatres. So, we decided to take the most historically accurate approach for this DVD as we have all along and release it widescreen as originally shown. We could have taken liberties with the framing here and there during the transfer to basically make it look more like the whole film was framed wide, but that would not have been a very accurate or authentic way to do it, and, frankly, would have been a bit of a cheat. The main title sequence was created for widescreen for the initial theatrical release, as will be obvious, and when it is framed and lined-up for normal transfer and let it go, some shots are tight, many not, and that is the way it was shown. We don't think it is any less funny because of it.

Thanks for that. I guess my concern wasn't that the width was correct, but whether the placement of the frame was correct. It sounds as if that is the case.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Oh, man, I hate when stuff like this happens. I have not watched all the shorts on this set yet -- and I do appreciate the efforts to keep things "historically accurate" -- but seriously, this is fast becoming the new "pan & scan." Yes, I get that this is how they would have looked in a theatre. I get that. But tell me why it's BETTER to see LESS of the image (with NO full-frame option)? Can't they come up with a format where the whole image is there, but you can frame it for 16:9 if you choose? I am so glad I recorded all the shorts from local TV years ago.

Not that I don't appreciate having these shorts anthologized with the great overall care they have received. I know we're not all the way to the finish line, but it looks like one day soon, it will be possible to own the complete Columbia Three Stooges shorts from a legitimate source, and that is a wonderful thing. Ditto for the 3-D shorts in 3-D. There are so many things I could say about this whole series, and I never thought any of this would ever happen.

But come on -- they even give us a choice of "Spooks" and "Pardon My Backfire" in 3-D or not in 3-D, but no full frame option? Why, I oughta...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mark Y

But tell me why it's BETTER to see LESS of the image (with NO full-frame option)?
I can't speak specifically to these shorts but generally, it's because they composed their shots to be seen at 1.85:1. You're not intended the extra info at the top and bottom of the screen.

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
Ok, so according to Grover Crisp, fixing framing issues in Goof on the Roof would be "cheating", and not "historically accurate", nor "authentic"..

It is a shame the studio hadn't taken the historically accurate stance when it came to pitch-tweaking the audio during the climactic chase scene in "The Hot Scots"!

The film ran fast and the audio should have run fast, as well. The scene plays properly in "Scotched in Scotland", though, which is, indeed, historically accurate.

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rdf8585
Ultimately I'm just glad we're getting these sets to begin with. Being so close to the end, hopefully the next (and perhaps final) volume is right around the corner. Besides GOOF ON THE ROOF, the widescreen presentation generally looks good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks