What's new

3 Stooges Collection Vol. 7 - 1952-1954, November 10 (1 Viewer)

claudeH

Auditioning
Real Name
claudeH
so...does anyone know if the stooges shorts that were shot in 1.85 will be presented in their proper aspect ratio on the DVDs? it's hard to tell, as a lot of sites list the already available volumes as being in 1.85, which obviously they aren't. as a stooges fan for most of my life, i've never even seen the 1.85 stuff in its proper aspect ratio, which would lend something new and interesting to the 50s shorts. it would definitely be a drag if the sets had cropped versions.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
It is now listed on Sony's release schedule on their website. Hopefully, a press release and coverart will follow. Only 2 more sets to go!

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine
ClassicFlix has posted the box art, and reports that the Stooges' SPOOKS! (1953) and PARDON MY BACKFIRE (1953) will be presented in 3-D, with glasses included.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Stooges in 3D. Today's news is that the two 3D shorts will be presented in 3D. The collection will also carry two pair of 3D glasses. This is great news and I am sure will help sell this volume. The flyer for the release of the package artwork (orange) shows a pair of 3D glasses on the front. The flyer does not discuss the aspect ratio, so that is still in question, but I bet that they will be released in the proper ratio.

Thank you Sony.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
One interesting thing regarding the Stooges sets from Mike S.

Believe it or not, the Stooge compilations sell so well that they are not considered "catalog" but are lumped in with new pictures, so my involvement with them is quite limited.
http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum.yuku.com/topic/25677/t/THREE-STOOGES-1952-1954.html

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Wow! This is fantastic! Can't wait for this set. Thanks for posting the cover. I had a feeling it might be orange.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
This is excellent news. We watched a half dozen or so (Collections 4 and 5) over the weekend. Dizzy Detectives, Spook Louder, Hot Scots, and Pardon My Clutch are some of our childrens' favorites. They love both Curly and Shemp. When I put the disc in, the first thing they look for is whether it's a Curly or a Shemp short. I may not tell them the first time I put on a Joe short, just to see what happens when the menu comes up -- LOL. ;)

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
More from Marcel's link: [COLOR= #ff0000]"I can tell you this much: Sony policy is now to release everything OAR, but from 1953-58, Columbia was shooting every non-anamorphic film "1.85-safe," meaning they could be shown either way. So even if the shorts do end up full-frame on the discs, they would indeed be open-matte and not pan-and-scan." [/COLOR]Sounds like an either/neither scenario to me.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The 3D shorts are being released in 3D and 2D on the set.

The 1.85 shorts are 1.85

There are plans for only one more volume of shorts, at the
moment, which will cover all the remaining Three Stooges
shorts in Volume 8.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I can live with one more volume. The solo shorts are interesting but not essential to me. Just getting the entire catalog of shorts chronologically is more than I ever really expected.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
I'm disapointed they arn't going to release the solo Shemp and Joe Besser shorts, I was looking forward to them.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

There are plans for only one more volume of shorts, at the
moment, which will cover all the remaining Three Stooges
shorts in Volume 8.
That's the best way to go, IMO. I don't think that the Joe Besser period would sell as well, and it's a good idea to have the remaining Shemp features on the same disc, to balance things out.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi

That's the best way to go, IMO. I don't think that the Joe Besser period would sell as well, and it's a good idea to have the remaining Shemp features on the same disc, to balance things out.
Probably right Joe. I mean, those solo Shemp & Joe Besser films would be a blast to see, but they really aren't Three Stooges films. I think the Besser films combined w/ the remaining Shemp's make for a truer conclusion to the Three Stooges "Collection".

As far as bonus material, there are TONS of other actual Three Stooges films (newsreels, TV appearances, commercials, etc.) that could have been used as bonus material. The idea of solo Joe Besser films never really struck me as logical bonus material anyway (though I'd love to see them & wouldn't complain if included).

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
I'm sorry if this already has been asked but if these Stooges collections are selling really well and they're remastered in high definition is there a chance they will be released on Blu-ray soon? I'm not trying to turn it into an Blu-ray discussion, but I was just curious about it.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I can go either way regarding the solo shorts and films. But I would like to see all of the Joe shorts released.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by Brian Borst

I'm sorry if this already has been asked but if these Stooges collections are selling really well and they're remastered in high definition is there a chance they will be released on Blu-ray soon? I'm not trying to turn it into an Blu-ray discussion, but I was just curious about it.
My guess would be that, while Blu is always an option down the road, there needs to be significantly more market penetration before it's even worthwhile. These things are selling well while SD still controls 90% of the market. The implication is that Blu sales would only be about 10% of the SD sales...likely a losing proposition.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Any reviews yet?

Almost every short on this collection is new to DVD.

Plus some are in widescreen and / or in 3D.

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rdf8585
I haven't seen any reviews yet, but when I do, I link to them here.

This really is a great set. GOOF ON THE ROOF is as good as it gets with Shemp -- the short is an absolute classic. TRICKY DICKS and GENTS IN A JAM are equally outstanding. The best thing about this set, besides widescreen and 3-D, is that all but 3 of these will be getting their initial DVD release. I could be wrong, but I think a couple of them never even made it onto VHS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks