What's new

3 FOX FILM NOIR titles on March 11th (1 Viewer)

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Yeah it is amazing that it took Alton so long to shoot a colour film, which happened to be An American in Paris, which of course he won the Oscar for!

Is this the version of Slightly Scarlet you own?

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Yeah it looks like the version I have. And now that I have gone back and looked at it, it looks like it's been cropped to the 16x9 HD aspect ratio.

Doug

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
It looks like DVDpacific.com already has Black Widow and Daisy Kenyon in stock for those desperate to get these ASAP.

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Got all three today. Watched Daisy Kenyon. It was better than I was expecting - just not very noirish but I have to give kudos to Fox for putting together an excellent package for under $10. In addition to a very good presentation and pretty classy cover art, you get a nice insert (can't think of any other studio that bothers with inserts any more), a commentary and a couple of very informative featurettes. I wish Universal, Paramount, Columbia, etc would take a page from Fox's book on how to treat the classics in their catalog (Warner is the only other studio that seems to be doing an equally good job).

-D

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Sat down and watched the three docos as soon as I got home this afternoon. Wonderful work from Fox and I really hope they keep their film noir line going.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone else noticed that none of these DVDs are on Netflix yet? I wanted to rent a couple of them, but they're not listed, which is very unusual for any DVD release from one of the studios. Does anyone know any particular reason why that is? I've seen pretty much every other DVD in the Fox Noir line via renting from Netflix, including the ones that I eventually bought.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
A few days later, it turns out that all 3 of these are now available on Netflix.

Michelle*B

Auditioning
This was posted on Eddie Muller's website:

COMPLETE LIST OF DVDS FEATURING EDDIE MULLER COMMENTARIES AND INTERVIEWS

The Brasher Doubloon (with Conrad Janis; Fox Film Noir, yet to be released)

Road House (coming soon -- Fox Film Noir)

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Good to hear about Road House. I wish they would also release Cry of the City instead of licensing it to Criterion (as rumored). I would much rather take a Fox Film Noir release with ample extras for $10 than the overpriced Criterion which will be picture-boxed to boot.

-D

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I wrote to Mr. Muller and asked about The Brasher Doubloon. He said that they did the commentary some time ago, but he doesn't know why Fox hasn't released it yet. Maybe we should start a letter writing campaign. He also said the commentary with Conrad Janis was a blast to do.

Doug

Charles H

Screenwriter
Aubrey Solomon mentions on his DANGEROUS CROSSING commentary that the late director Joseph Newman had recorded some commentaries: His Fox films were PONY SOLDIER, THE GUY WHO CAME BACK, RED SKIES OF MONTANA, THE OUTCASTS OF POKER FLAT.
Alan Rode mentions on his BLACK WIDOW commentary (Re Van Heflin) that UCLA has just restored Joseph Losey's THE PROWLER (if released it would be through MGM/UA/Fox).
I think that VIOLENT SATURDAY was once prepped for the "Noir" series (with commentary?)
Fox does not do HTF chats (and maybe WB is taking a page from their playbook by discontinuing them). No other studio has confounded my expectations so often. Who would ever have thunk FORD AT FOX in their lifetime? Or a 2 disc THE BIG TRAIL, which promises to be the definitive primer on pre-CinemaScope widescreen? I wish that they were a bit less modest in their marketing (and it's disappointing that their CHARLEY'S AUNT and ON THE RIVIERA releases slipped through the cracks). The perks on their latest noirs are superb--particularly the participation of Dana Andrews' kids on DK and Jeanne Crain's grandaughter on DC. The "element of surprise" on Fox's more limited catalog trumps the anxiety from anticipation of inevitability of WB's bountiful catalog. And now that Fox has commandeered the MGM/UA catalog, some great stuff will be coming in May in the western and war releases (Wait till you see CARVE HER NAME WITH PRIDE!) ....And then there is the Carmen Miranda Collection!!!!

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Amazon has all Fox Film Noir titles, except the newest ones, on sale for 7,99.
I just picked up nine DVDs. :)
Hope we'll see more from Fox and/or Warner this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks