What's new

3/8 plate glass for Mits 55807 (1 Viewer)

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
I just traded in my 55" Mits 55807 for a 65" 65807, and can no longer use the glass I had cut to help support the weight of the center channel speaker. The dimensions are 22 7/16" D x 50 1/2" W x 3/8" H. It really looks good on top of the TV, and supported the 30+ lb weight of my B&W LCR6 without problem. I paid $65 for it, it is 1 month old.
I will take $45 for it, user must live in driving distance of Mobile, AL (I actually live in Daphne).

John LaB

Agent
Pete-
I have the same exact setup that you used to, the 55807 with a LCR 6.
I made a semi-permanent shelf, but it is by no means a strategic solution to the sagging problem. My Mits has already drooped 1/16".
I live in NJ, so I dont think I can buy your glass. But could you give me an idea of where you had yours made? I havent had to much luck in NJ yet.
And, how did you like the Lovan stand? If I can get myself a piece of glass, I would like to pick this up from you.
Thanks,
-jpl

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
John, when I went from the 55" to the 65" piece of glass, it would no longer support the weight of the LCR6 and the glass actually bowed under the weight dramatically (the back edges actually curled up!). I ended up having to modify a wall bracket made for a television to support the LCR6. I kept the 65" glass because it looks good and is paid for! I sold the Director on eBay at great loss after advertising it here with no bites.
For the 55" RPTV, I would definitely recommend the glass/Lovan route. It looks and sounds great!
Good luck!!!!
BTW, I STILL have the doggone 55" glass!
rolleyes.gif

Pete

John LaB

Agent
Thanks Pete.
Did you have the LCR6 resting up close to, or hanging over the front lip of the box?
I would like to at least have the speaker flush with the front. Was the 3/8" glass strong enough to support that?
Also, did you go with plate glass or tempered? Lastly, where did you have the glass cut. I am looking for a place in NJ.
Sorry for all the ?'s, but I feel like we have the identical systems. 55807, 602's, LCR6, 601's... You obviously have good taste. Just looking for some insight.
-jpl

Kevin T

Screenwriter
john, i don't mean to butt in here but if you're looking for glass work, just check your local yellow pages. i'm sure there are many stores in nj that deal with glass cutting / manufacturing. check under mirrors as well as most stores that specialize in mirrors also work in glass. i'm not too sure about what's in daphne but in mobile we have a store called "metro glass" that does all sorts of glass cutting. there are a few others as well but metro is the one i'm most familiar with. i had to purchase a specialty cut piece for a coffee table i broke (damn that tequila!!!). hope this helps.
kevin t

Jim_F

Screenwriter
On second thought, post deleted.
[Edited last by Jim_F on September 26, 2001 at 07:15 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks