What's new

3D 3.5M 3D Blu-Ray Discs sold, 50% were actually purchased. Have you bought a 3D Blu-Ray Disc? (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here is why I think the sales are low. 1) Less discretionary income due to a recession brought on by massive fraud on the part of Wall Street. 2) 3D disc sets and 3D movies are ridiculously expensive. 3) The glasses are annoying to wear, but the biggest problem is that they cut light output to the eye and make everything appear dim. 4) Not enough live action releases; although, I personally believe that 3D works best with computer animated films. 5) A lot of people think 3D is gimmicky and adds nothing beyond 2D. 6) A lot of people complain about being affected healthwise when they watch 3D movies. I believe those are some of the main reasons for the lack of sales. I listed them in that order, but that doesn't mean one reason is greater than another. As for whether 3D looks better in the theatre than at home, I would say it is not a factor in lack of adoption. In fact, in many respects 3D in the home, via active shutter glasses, looks a lot better than at the theatre. The advantage that theatre-based 3D has is screen size. Home 3D loses a bit in that respect because you are always aware of the edges of the screen. Seeing the edges of the screen reduces the immersion factor of 3D. Edit: I should actually amend #4 and say that there is not enough content being released in general. Also, the strategy of exclusive releases tied to a brand of television has probably done a lot to damage adoption. People want a lot of content available at a reasonable price before they will even think of adopting a new technology. Only early adopters have little concern for lack of titles because, in general, they are technophiles who are always attracted to new technology similar to birds who like shiny objects.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Prices are certainly one important factor. In most cases, you can't buy just a 3D title. You must buy the 3D disc bundled with a large assortment of other variations of the same movie on Blu-ray, DVD, and digital copy. I'd be curious to see what the sales would be on a strictly 3D release without the other discs in the case. Of course, that would also means the studios might have to put additional content on the 3D disc like some bonus features apart from 3D trailers. But it could be done.

Certainly home theater aficiandos who know about the history of 3D down through the decades would love to see some older content in 3D. Avatar is great in 3D and so are a host of CGI animated films, but what about classics like Dial 'M' for Murder, Creature from the Black Lagoon, House of Wax, and Kiss Me Kate? People who are enthusiastic about 3D want more than just the latest releases. At least, I do, and so do some friends who have also gone 3D.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Originally Posted by MattH.
Prices are certainly one important factor. In most cases, you can't buy just a 3D title. You must buy the 3D disc bundled with a large assortment of other variations of the same movie on Blu-ray, DVD, and digital copy. I'd be curious to see what the sales would be on a strictly 3D release without the other discs in the case. Of course, that would also means the studios might have to put additional content on the 3D disc like some bonus features apart from 3D trailers. But it could be done.

Certainly home theater aficiandos who know about the history of 3D down through the decades would love to see some older content in 3D. Avatar is great in 3D and so are a host of CGI animated films, but what about classics like Dial 'M' for Murder, Creature from the Black Lagoon, House of Wax, and Kiss Me Kate? People who are enthusiastic about 3D want more than just the latest releases. At least, I do, and so do some friends who have also gone 3D.

I for one would jump at the chance to buy Dial 'M' for Murder and Kiss Me Kate on BD in 3D.

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
I will not buy live action 3D conversions on BD3D, which is consistent because I won't see them at the theatre either. I own 5 titles so far and have some others on pre-order: Resident Evil: Afterlife Coraline Tangled TRON: Legacy Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I have quite a few 10+ 3D Bluay titles. I think the pricing drives me a little crazy $10 more for the same move in 2D. Since most of them only have 1 disk with both version it is even more crazy. However, this is the fun of adopting before popular. I do think that bundling is hurting them as well. I would like to get a copy of Megamind but I'm unwilling to pay a fortune for it.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I bought a 3D plasma, NOT because it has 3D, but because the top of the line features were only available with a 3D model. I SOLD the 3D title that came with it (Avatar) for over a hundred bucks. I'm glad I got the money. :)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I likewise bought a 3D plasma, not for the 3D but because the top of the line features were only available with a 3D model. I GAVE AWAY the Ice Age Whatever the F* It Was, kept the Coraline which I'll eventually watch, ordered the free Avatar, and bought Tron: Legacy.

So, let's see... that nets out to: one (1) 3D purchase.

There are one or two IMAX titles out there that I'd enjoy having, but not for the ridiculous price tags. I enjoy 3D, but no more 3D for me until a frickin' catalog title is released.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I have Tron Legacy in 3D. Only because i bought the 5 disc set for less than if i had gotten Legacy, and the original Tron separate on Blu. I do not own a 3D TV, and do not see one in my future. But i do own 1 movie!

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
I don't own a 3D TV, but I do own a single 3D Blu-Ray, just because Disney's $10 off deal on Tangled was only if you bought the big combo pack, so it was ultimately cheaper to just get the 3D disc that I'll never be able to use (pretty much the same way that I view any combo pack these days).

Paul D G

Screenwriter
You also have to consider the titles vs the people buying them. I'm not going to buy a title just because it's in 3D. I have to want the movie. I don't have a 3D tv, but AFAIK, the only title I've bought with a 3D version available was Tron Legacy. So out of the dozen or so titles I've bought in the past year, only 1 was available in 3D. So that'd be a sale of 1 for me.

Plus, I would only invest in a properly made 3D film, not a conversion (ie Avatar vs Alice in Wonderland).

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
RobertR said:
I bought a 3D plasma, NOT because it has 3D, but because the top of the line features were only available with a 3D model.
Likewise. I bought both a 3D plasma and 3D blu-ray player recently because they had the performance and features I was looking for, despite the 3D. The TV didn't come with the glasses and I haven't bothered to buy them. I wonder how many people have bought 3D compatible hardware even though they have no interest in 3D?

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I always considered 3-D a gimmick to be conservatively enjoyed once in a while in a theater. Nowadays, everybody and their mothers are releasing everything in 3-D regardless of whether or not the film is worth sitting through for 2 and a half hours. I don't have a need to replicate that experience at home.

Phoebus

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Walker
I own over ten 3D blurays. No 3D TV, no monitor, just a projector and a 3d conversion box. Nice big image, flicker specs. And a relatively inexpensive set up. And sort of portable, too! So, with my set up, the prospect of showing off some fifties 3D to go with my cinerama, vistavision and 70mm blus makes me check the home theatre forums daily for news of such a coming release - all to little or no avail. :-( Seems crazy that not one single fifties 3D "carrot" has been dangled towards the buying public to date. And yet my gut says we'll have some arrive by late autumn. [not as though I don't Know these movies in 3d, I just want a version I'm able to comfortably project for friends.]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks