What's new

3/$25 on all titles is back at Hollywood Video! (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I did appreciate the ending for being non-Hollywood. I don't think I wanted to see everything work out neatly, but I think the larger issue is I was expecting the relationship with the daughter to be more the focus of the film.

I did see the trade-in posters up in my store, but I didn't investigate the details.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I recently starting buying movies at Gamestop, but for the benefit of others, here's what I bought and kept:

House of Flying Daggers
The Aviator
Closer
In Good Company
The Butterfly Effect
The Cooler

Here's what I bought and sold off:

Constantine (more silly than scarey and about as deep as a Matrix sequel)
Million Dollar Baby (played like a TV movie despite my respect for those involved)
Shawn of the Dead (clever twist on the zombie flick but very British)

Cory H.

Stunt Coordinator
I've been buying DVDs at GameStop for ages. I've got them to thank for my $9.99 copies of "Fletch" and "Sleeping Beauty", amongst others. :D :D :D

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
The trade in value they give you is less than desirable. Sometimes you get a clerk that rings them up wrong and you get an added discount but that's pretty rare. Too bad the Blockbuster $8 minimum credit promo ended. I traded in dozens and dozens.

FYE sometimes gives good credit. I get $6+ for some of my CDs. Too bad their prices are usually too high although they do have great rebates if you can deal with the hassle.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Hollywood Video has great selection and price on Indie films and asian cinema/horror.
and in near perfect condition too.

I love checking them out frequently even if they dont have a 3/$25 going on.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Looks like the sale might be back. I actually never picked up the titles in the last round.

Cory H.

Stunt Coordinator
Started on Monday. The Hollywood where I work PT has some great, newer titles like Robots, High Tension, Amityville Horror, The Longest Yard, etc.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Oh, I kinda went nuts and bought nine titles:

Closer (2004)
Constantine (2005)
Ong Bak: The Thai Warrior (2003)
Finding Neverland (2004)
The Aviator (2004)
Downfall (2004)
Kung Fu Hustle (2004)
Million Dollar Baby (2004)
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005)

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
Does anyone know when Unleashed will be available to buy previously-rented? My Hollywood carried the Unrated version, and I wanna pick that up.

tonyKwok

Stunt Coordinator
has anyone tried asking the clerks at HV if they can swap out their rental cases for the retail ones upon check out? They must have a whole storage room full of the discarded retail cases.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The cases I got yesterday aren't that bad. They are just like Alphas except for the security tab in the middle. I agree the other type with the security lock running down the entire length are awful.

tonyKwok

Stunt Coordinator
i onced asked a clerk at BB if I can exchange their previously viewed case w/ a retail one, he was cool enough to find one for me.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Blockbuster doesn't use retail cases anymore. Although I'm sure most rental stores have a few cases laying around, the majority go into the trash. If you go through their dumpster on the right day, you may find the motherload of discarded DVD cases.*

*This plan assumes you don't mind sifting through filthy, disgusting garabge. :)

tonyKwok

Stunt Coordinator
Guo Xiong,

I meant, since BB was able to do that for me, I wonder if HV will do the same next time I ask them.

Cory H.

Stunt Coordinator

As of late, only the older movies come with the thick lockbar cases. Most new releases ship to us in redlock amarays.

As far as having an abundance of amarays laying around, not hardly. We get orders filled once every so often, and in limited quantities. You wouldn't believe how many get broken in the course of a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks