What's new

2oth Century-Fox movies still MIA on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I'd be happy with having most of the titles already mentioned, specifically "Anastasia" and the other titles from Fox's Studio Classics line which have yet to make the transition to Blu.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
bujaki said:
Bruce,
I've seen these in 35mm, except for Lucky Star, and I love them. My question about the Carlotta issues, are the English intertitles kept, with French subtitles at the bottom of the screen? I assume that the interviews and commentaries are not subtitled in English.

All of them have the original English intertitles (and with the exception of Lucky Star, the original Movietone score as well) and optional French subs. There are some extras in English, particularly a Borzage-directed episode from Screen Director's Playhouse on each disc. More noteworthy is the incomplete "The River" on the Lucky Star disc.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
bruceames said:
All of them have the original English intertitles (and with the exception of Lucky Star, the original Movietone score as well) and optional French subs. There are some extras in English, particularly a Borzage-directed episode from Screen Director's Playhouse on each disc. More noteworthy is the incomplete "The River" on the Lucky Star disc.
Thanks. I've seen (not in HD) all the Borzage episodes included in these discs. I also saw The River in a private screening at Bill Everson's apartment. The disc is apparently sourced from this print which was unearthed by the late Prof. Everson.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
1. The Turning Point
2. East Lynne
3. The White Parade
4. Payton Place
5. State Fair
6. The Pied Piper
7. Wilson
8. Alexander's Ragtime Band
9. In Old Chicago
10. The Ox-Bow Incident
11. The Razor's Edge
12. The Snake Pit
13. Sons and Lovers

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The Mark Of Zorro

My Darling Clementine (yeah, I know it has an foreign release, but I'd like a US release)

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
How about some more Shirley Temple classics? Dimples, Heidi, Young People, Wee Willie Winkie and The Little Princess would be most welcome, n'est pas?

YanMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Yannick
I'll bring up a slightly less-obscure title:

The Abyss

We are halfway through 2014 now and no update on this title since the rumors from late last year. At this point, I'll take an announcement of an announcement.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Fox's MIA of late in announcing ANYTHING via their catalog in hi-def is a mystery and a concern. Either their previous endeavors did not do as well as they had hoped, or they're seriously considering some of the critiques via the whole 'teal/orange' quagmire regarding a goodly number of the catalog that already came out; also, the outrage fans had over their R&H box set which was, to put it mildly, a disappointment.

Fox knows how to do great work when it wants to; Hello Dolly!, The Agony and the Ecstasy, The Ghost & Mrs. Muir, to name but a handful of OUTSTANDING mastering efforts. I just can't figure them out.

I'll throw in my vote for The Abyss and Call Me Madam too, also True Lies, Working Girl, 9 to 5. Deeper catalog votes also go to Star! (a sadly undermined/underrated and maligned treasure). There are a few personal favs; The Dolly Sisters, That Night in Rio, Springtime in the Rockies, Mother Wore Tights, Hello Frisco Hello, Lillian Russell,

Anybody up for
Prince Valiant
Daddy Long Legs
Part Time Wife
Stand Up and Cheer
The Foxes of Harrow
Thin Ice
Wintertime
In Old Chicago
Alexander's Ragtime Band
Folies Bergere
Lloyds of London
Johnny Apollo
Suez
or
Hudson's Bay

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
The French release of Daddy Long Legs is very nice, a favourite Astaire film for me. Great musical numbers with Leslie Caron. It helps to have a multi-zone player these days because how long we will have to wait for certain titles to be released in our own countries is anybody's guess.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
And for the holidays, maybe some inspirational films like THE STORY OF RUTH, FRANCIS OF ASSISI and DAVID AND BATHSHEBA.

Cine_Capsulas

Second Unit
Real Name
Patrick
YanMan said:
I'll bring up a slightly less-obscure title:

The Abyss

We are halfway through 2014 now and no update on this title since the rumors from late last year. At this point, I'll take an announcement of an announcement.
Been waiting for this since forever. Never got the DVD because it was non-anamorphic.

mgdvd0

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
michael
Prime of miss Jean Brodie has been announced for UK release and is also up on blu-ray.com as "upcoming"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks