2oth Century-Fox movies still MIA on Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Nick*Z, Jun 30, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Nick*Z

Nick*Z Second Unit

NICK
    With the upcoming release of Criterion’s edition of Jack Clayton’s The Innocents on Blu-ray – a fabulous and sadly, underrated movie today – I thought the time had come to make a serious inquiry among this group what additional Fox titles you would all like to see come from either Criterion or Fox Home Video proper. I've limited my list to 10 titles and given the reasons why I believe these movies on Blu-ray are long overdo. So now I'll just open it up to everyone else and let the suggestions fall where they may.

1. Anastasia (1956) – the movie that brought Ingrid Bergman back to America after her disastrous marriage to Rossellini and the lean years in their film making alliance fell apart.

2. Peyton Place (1957) – the trail blazing, ground breaking, censorship testing Jerry Wald production based on Grace Metalious’ scathing novel of sin and sex in a small town. This one is a cultural touchstone. Even today the name Peyton Place conjures to mind tawdry appeal.

3. Wilson (1944) – Zanuck’s superb biography of Woodrow Wilson is presently a shambles as part of Fox’s own cinema archive program. Wilson is a superior bio and a lavish production besides – the most expensive movie after Gone With The Wind and a true testament to Alexander Knox acting ability; sadly, never again given such a showcase to shine.

4. The Rains Came (1939) – Zanuck’s superior disaster/melodrama never made the contender’s list for Best Picture, perhaps forgivable by 1939 standards. Any other year it would have most assuredly not only been nominated, but likely would have won. Groundbreaking special effects to boot. A must see.

5. Down Argentine Way (1940) – the quintessential Fox musical of its generation, with Betty Grable and Don Ameche superb in this lavish, lurid Technicolor display of showmanship

6. Forever Amber (1947) – the incendiary tale of a ravenous social climber who will stop at nothing to triumph in the court of King Charles. Linda Darnell is ravishing in this costly and colossal studio barn-burner.

7. The Keys of the Kingdom (1944) – Gregory Peck’s gentle portrait of a Catholic priest whose travels to China and the establishment of a mission prove eventful and perilous.

8. Two For the Road (1967) Stanley Donen’s nonlinear narrative, confounding and complex deconstruction of a marriage on the rocks, costarring Audrey Hepburn and Albert Finney in defining roles in their respective careers.

9. How To Steal A Million (1966) – Audrey again, this time with Peter O’Toole in William Wyler’s astute and charming caper of love and jewel thievery run amuck in the moneyed and cultured jet set of Paris.

10. The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (1969) – Maggie Smith’s exemplar of the high strung schoolmarm who’s laissez faire approach to the re-education of a group of impressionable young girls leads to dire consequences for all concerned.

2. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Screenwriter

Keith Cobby
    1. Michael Shayne films (Lloyd Nolan, 5 released on DVD)

2. Soldier of Fortune

3. Sun Valley Serenade

4. That Night in Rio

3. Yorkshire

Yorkshire Screenwriter

Steve
    I've just looked through my 'wants' list, and I don't think any are Fox.

Either they've done a damn good job of getting their releases out, or they're a studio who didn't make too many films to my taste.

Strange.

Steve W

4. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    In no particular order, i'm not sure if these are all 20th Century Fox. ( I did attempt to research it )

Leave Her To Heaven
    Dragonwyck
    Black Beauty
    Call Northside 777
    I Was A Male War Bride
    The Gunfighter
    Monkey Business
    Invaders From Mars
    The Desert Rats
    Warlock

A few later ones too.

100 Rifles
    The Seven-Ups
    Dirty Mary Crazy Larry
    Fort Apache, The Bronx

5. Worth

Worth Screenwriter

Nick Dobbs
    FoxyMulder likes this.
  6. TheSteig

TheSteig Supporting Actor

David
    Leave Her To Heaven is already out on blu ray from Twilight Time

Lets not forget Fallen Angel, Nightmare Alley, The Razors Edge, I Wake Up Screaming, The Best of Everything, and some sci fi classics Hand of Death with John Agar and SpaceMaster x7 !! :)

7. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Criterion released a DVD of Pickup on South Street, and I'd love to see that upgraded to Blu-ray and with possibly a new bonus feature on the life and career of Thelma Ritter who after all those Oscar nominations and no wins surely deserves some kind of retrospective (and Fox has a good number of her films).

As for some other suggestions:

Anastasia (1956)
    The Virgin Queen
    Star!
    Doctor Dolittle
    The Best of Everything
    Peyton Place
    The Flight of the Phoenix
    23 Paces from Baker Street (rescued from pan and scan Cinema Archive hell)
    Three Coins in the Fountain
    Nightmare Alley
    The Razor's Edge
    Anna and the King of Siam (with maybe a bonus feature of a new, improved transfer of The King and I)
    Call Northside 777
    The Dark Corner
    My Darling Clemintine
    The Blue Bird (1940)
    Call Me Madam
    With a Song in My Heart

8. Nick*Z

Nick*Z Second Unit

NICK
    I just thought of a few more.

Staircase (1969) Richard Burton and Rex Harrison as a gay couple
    Anna and the King (1999) Jodie Foster and Chow Yun-Fat.
    Anna and the King of Siam (1946) with Irene Dunne and Rex Harrison
    Doctor Doolittle (1967) in a legitimately authored Blu-ray, not the currently existing bootleg from Australia that is deplorable
    The Left Hand of God (1955) - Bogart as a priest
    Belle Starr (1941) Gene Tierney's debut
    The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit (1956)
    Hudson's Bay (1941)
    Roadhouse (1948) Richard Widmark and Cornel Wilde with the awesome Ida Lupino thrown in
    The House on Telegraph Hill (1951) with the sadly overlooked Richard Basehart as a fairly psychotic suitor
    Springtime in the Rockies (1942) - another frothy and tune-filled Fox musical
    With A Song In My Heart: The Jane Froman Story (1952) bar none one of the best movie musicals Fox ever made!

I'll also second, Nightmare Alley (sadly undrerated Ty Power flick), The Best of Everything (1958), along with Woman's World (1954) - two great flicks about women climbing the corporate ladder; also love Three Coins in the Fountain (1954) and Star! (1968).

Come on Fox - get busy with these...please.

9. Konstantinos

Konstantinos Screenwriter

Konstantinos
    @Nick*Z

How to Steal a Million has been released in a czech Bluray, and from screenshots I have seen the quality is great!

[​IMG]

10. Walsh61

Walsh61 Stunt Coordinator

Garth Lough
    In addition to what's been mentioned already I'd like to see these:

The Enemy Below
    Flight Of The Phoenix
    Emperor Of The North Pole

11. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

I love Peyton Place, but I think it's all talk. It's like the G-rated version of the book. The book is ten times more tawdry. The movie itself basically has good photography going for it, but don't expect it to be banned anytime soon.

12. John Maher_289910

John Maher_289910 Supporting Actor

John Maher
    STAR! and HOME SWEET HOMICIDE (which I don't believe they ever released on any format).

13. bruceames

bruceames Supporting Actor

Bruce Ames
    Fox hasn't announced a single new-to-Blu catalog in over 3 months, so it's going to be a while before we see any serious chipping away at some of the wish list titles above. The 2013 catalog king has suddenly gone MIA.

14. Cine_Capsulas

Cine_Capsulas Second Unit

Gustavo H. Razera
    Plus a lush score by Franz Waxman and superb performances by Diane Varsi and Mildred Dunnock.

15. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Screenwriter
    Supporter

Rob Ray
    I've never read the book, but I've always heard that the film version of PEYTON PLACE is a major improvement upon the tawdry source material, giving it a class and distinction it really doesn't deserve. It's a first-rate soaper exquisitely filmed by the talents at Fox just as the studio era that would allow such slick professionalism was coming to a close. It's one of my favorite Franz Waxman scores and I'd love a BluRay. I'm sure it will come from Twilight Time if not from Fox itself. It's one of the biggest titles from the 1950s.

16. RJ992

RJ992 Second Unit

Joel
    Surprised that the TV series (with a young Mia Farrow and Ryan O'Neal) never made it to video

17. seangood79

seangood79 Stunt Coordinator

Sean
    How about some silents, The Iron Horse, Seventh Heaven

Ed Lachmann likes this.
  18. bruceames

bruceames Supporting Actor

Bruce Ames
    7th Heaven is available region free from French Carlotta, as well as the Borzage films Lucky Star and Street Angel. I have them all and have watched them 2-3 times already. Highly recommended!

7th Heaven

Street Angel

Lucky Star

19. bujaki

bujaki Screenwriter

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Bruce,
    I've seen these in 35mm, except for Lucky Star, and I love them. My question about the Carlotta issues, are the English intertitles kept, with French subtitles at the bottom of the screen? I assume that the interviews and commentaries are not subtitled in English.

20. GlennF

GlennF Second Unit

Glenn Frost
    Star!
    Call Me Madam (the film Donald O'Connor considered his best because of his dances with Vera Ellen choreographed by Robert Alton)
    Anastasia (for the performances)
    Peyton Place (dated - but lushly filmed, well acted and a real slice of 50's Americana such as the picnic sequence)
    The Rose - Bette Midler - great sound and Vilmos Zsigmond photography - plus Bette, of course.