2K Speaker Budget

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Andrew Pezzo, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

After a friend of mine saw a movie at my place he got bitten by the HT bug and wants to put together his own system. For some odd reason he has good receiver/amp knowledge but has no clue about speakers. My speaker knowledge is limited so I figured I would see what others have to say.

As a point of reference I have Energy Connoisseurs, C-7's for the fronts, C-C1 center channel, and C-1's for the surrounds. He thought about getting a similar package but I told him to shop around first. He also likes Def Techs but that is most likely out of his price range, which is $1500 - $2000 for 5 speakers. He is buying my old sub so that doesn't need to be part of the package.

So far he has considered B&W (not sure what ones). Movies will be the primary source with about 10% of the use going to music.

2. JohnBrianW.

JohnBrianW. Stunt Coordinator

I would suggest Totem Dreamcatchers. Great value.

3. Paul Bryan

Paul Bryan Agent

I picked up Paradigm Studio/60's, Studio/CC, and a PW-2200 for about $1700. The dealer was willing to sell me Studio/20's for the rear for about $350 more... All $'s are US $'s...

That would fall within the budget ballpark, and be an awesome (IMO) HT & music setup.

It might require a drive to Canada to get that kind of pricing though...

--Paul

4. Arthur Vino

Arthur Vino Stunt Coordinator

rockets ?!!!

5. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

He lives in Buffalo, NY so a trip to Canada is certainly doable.

6. Paul Bryan

Paul Bryan Agent

7. Mike Likens

Mike Likens Stunt Coordinator

If I were putting together 5 speakers primarily for HT the first companies that come to mind are M&K and Atlantic Tech. Both have entry level speakers in that price range that are engineered specifically for HT.

8. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Ascend.

9. AhsanR

AhsanR Stunt Coordinator

Online you can great deals on the Polk LSi series. I would audition them, DEFINETELY A MUST.

10. Leon O

Leon O Stunt Coordinator

If in Canada, demo some Dahlquists [​IMG]

11. Emile

Emile Agent

Try the Athena audition or S series. I have the former for my HTS system, and they both sound and look incredible. A 5.1 system can be had for 1000 where I am, less without the sub. These speakers are produced by API, the same company that makes Energy and Mirage, so they do have some pedigree.

12. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

Since you mentioned DEF TECHS,I had a chance to trade in my klipsch rf7's and upgrade to the bp 2000tl's.I brought the 2000's home for a week,me and my two sons listened/tested/experimented in all formats.The 2000's were very impressive and I really liked em'.In the end though I could not part with the Klipsch,they just recreate every detail so lifelike.Oh well,I am just sittin around listening to music and it sounds so good I thought I'd mention it.

13. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Ascend, without a doubt as I've heard most of the brands listed here, and the beauty is that he might as well go 7.1 and get 6 170s and their new center I bet would rock.

14. Nathan J

Nathan J Stunt Coordinator

Anyone have a link to these Ascend speakers?

Andrew....I also live near Buffalo,NY, What is your friend's name?

I know of a decent shop out here,They have a lot of great equipment, and are extremely friendly and helpful. Perhaps I could give him some useful info.

Nate

15. Jorge UF

Jorge UF Stunt Coordinator

I will agree with Curtis and put a vote in for the Klipsch RF7, and now more than ever that there going cheap at Tweeter and any of its associates. The clarity is really great on these, which I think is pretty essential for movies.

16. george king

george king Supporting Actor

talk to Brian at www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com and see what he can do for you. Two pairs of the M-1, a C-1 and a monster sub should be doable.

Or maybe 5 of the GR Research AV-1s. He would not be able to get a sub, but they are really killer speakers (I own them) for both music and HT.

One other commerical brand to consider would be the new Kef Q series. A pair of Q7's for the fronts, Q1s in the back and the Q9c. With this he probably would not need a sub.

Hope this helps.

17. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

www.ascendacoustics.com

They've been compared favorably with the AV-1's and cost half as much. Go to the site. It now has links to all the reviews.

18. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

19. Tommy Rodgers

I second the Aperion Audio recommendation. Super nice people to work with, and OMG the finish on my speakers is phenominal. Oh yeah, they sound better than anything I've heard under $1000/pair (I haven't heard any of the other "internet direct" brands though, to be fair), excellent detail and wide soundstage.

Tommy[​IMG]

20. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Just noticed a CurtisC....I am CurtisSC. No wonder I couldn't get that handle!!

Anyways.....a vote for Ascend Acoustics here as well, with a sub from Hsu Research.