What's new

28 Days Later? (1 Viewer)

David Ren

Stunt Coordinator
I was at the same screening at Sundance and I didn't have tickets either. I was at a screening for Pieces of April and some guy asked me, "need an extra ticket to 28 Days Later tonight?" I grabbed the ticket from his hand before he finished the sentence.

David

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
With the benefit of almost 3 months to reflect...

I really hated the final act. Brilliantly photographed, but so much British filmmaking resorts to the kind of characters the group come up against in the faux-Military base.
Spoiled the film for me. But I can see that Americans may well not even notice this.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Amerkans dont notiss much. ;)
I'm really curious to see how well this movie will fare in American movie theaters. I've always been a supporter of American films (even our crappy movies are better than most other countries' crappy movies; we just make TOO DAMN MANY of 'em!), but I've been noticing a downward trend in American horror.
A very loose experiment:
Last "International" horror flicks I've seen:
28 Days Later
Ginger Snaps
Dog Soldiers
The Devil's Backbone
Last American horror movies I've seen:
Darkness Falls
Halloween: Resurrection
Ghost Ship
Below
The Ring
Session 9
OK, I may have just shot myself in the foot, since I actually really liked Below and Session 9, while The Ring is an American film only by theft. :D
So I guess my point is that American horror, for the most part, kinda sucks these days. At least on the studio end.
Ironic that fantastic horror like Dog Soldiers couldn't play American multiplexes, but Halloween: Resurrection actually cut a profit.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member

In the sense that they aren't exposed to the barrage of idiotic British characters on TV over here, so the criticism that the 3rd act is boring and samey doesn't apply.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Back to the movie at hand:
It looks like Fox Searchlight has announced an August 1st release date for 28 Days Later. Hopefully it'll be one of those 'wide limited' releases.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Yo I got GOOD NEWS here!
According to the mega-reliable www.upcomingmovies.com , Fox Searchlight will be releasing 28 Days Later on June 13th in New York and Los Angeles...
Which means that its 'wider limited' release should sprout up somewhat sooner than the date earlier reported (8/1).
More news when I hear it! :)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Good news and bad news.
Bad: The release was pushed back a few weeks to June 27th. :frowning:
Good: It will now be a wide (1,500+) release. :):)

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Let me get this straight - Albuquerque and Madison (frickin Wisconsin) get this before I do? Makes me wanna eat some brains.

I saw the expanded (full?) trailer for this before Identity and I am fully pumped to see this. It was one of the better trailers that I've seen in a long time and had a bunch of wonderful images and snippets of dialog.

Werner_R

Stunt Coordinator
I saw this last week in the cinema and I agree with Paul's comments.
It starts really good but the last 1/3 of the movie is a letdown, don't set your hopes up to high or you'll be dissappointed ! It's a decent flick but nothing great or spectacular. It's worth seeing but not buying
;)

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
I just watched the movie and loved it! This just became my favorite Zombie flick ever. I agree with some of the criticism for the 3rd act of the movie though.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Great pics, Paul.
I cannot WAIT to see this movie again. I don't want to oversell it, but I really hope you guys dig the flick as much as I do.
If this thread turns into a "WTF? It ain't all that!" discussion I'll have to stay away. ;)

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
I agree about the lackluster third act. Interesting twist, I guess the filmmakers are saying the normal people are every bit as rotten and barbaric as the Infected
, but considering the strength of the first hour, this movie deserved a stronger ending.

And speaking of which, the DVD has two alternate endings, including an entirely different third act shown in storyboards(kinda reminds me of the Joyride disc). It's even weaker than the one they used in the actual film, but it takes the story in a completely different direction.

Dave Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I watched this last night, and was pretty disappointed. I'll spoilerize plot points for those who have't seen it yet.

Some scenes are excellent, such as the early shots of Jim wandering through an empty London, and the journey from London to Manchester.

But the main thing I was disappointed by was the lack of scary moments - I don't mean cheap "made you jump" shocks, but scenes that make you want to look at the floor rather than the screen!

There is a feeling of constant unease, but there is not one single time in the movie I felt fear. Maybe it's because I've been watching some great Asian horror movies lately (The Eye, Pulse, Dark Water) which have some genuinely frightening scenes!

And the third act, where Jim becomes an action hero
wasn't very good at all. And the ending, honestly, sucked. I don't mind what it's telling you (in fact it makes sense) but it's just so abrupt.

I'd rate it ** out of ****.

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
Dave, damn, you must have nerves of steel. :)
They are promoting the movie in Germany with audience reaction shots. Pretty intresting to figure out which scenes they are just watching. :)
I guess the difference between this one and other zombie flicks is that I actually cared about the characters. And by having no big names in the cast one was actually concerned for them and wondering who is going to make it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks