What's new

24k Gold Master CD's (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Eric
What web sites or stores sell the 24k Gold Master Recording CD's?

I know of Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs but are there others?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
MFSL went out of business a few years ago, so eBay is pretty much it for them. CBS has some, as well as some other random studios.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Nope - they're still producing CDs. DCC went down a while back but made a resurgence last year under the Audio Fidelity banner. Unfortunately, that brief line seems to have faded - not clear if any more AF gold CDs will appear...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Actualy Colin, you are also wrong. I forgot that some investment banker or someone like that had bought or possibly ended up with the MFSL name in court. MFSL did in fact go out of business. I'm not sure what their catalog is anymore, but there is some company operating with the MFSL name.

John Mil

Agent
I wonder how the MFSl cd's sound? I have seen a bunch on ebay for sale. Any opinions? I saw a Derek and the Dominos- in concert that I was considering buying.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The original MFSLs typically sound quite good. Elton John's Madman Across the Water is one glaring exception. MFSL admitted they completely screwed that one up.

Real Name
Eric
I'm going to take a chance and get The Chieftins CD that MFSL currently sells on their web site. I figure I'm not out too much if it doesn't sound that great.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I really like the way MFSL's DTS cd's sound. Particularly BTO's "Not Fragile" and The Steve Miller Bands "Fly Like An Eagle". Very aggressive 5.1 mixes.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab, if I remember correctly and correct me if I am wrong, was purchased by internet e-tailer Music Direct. MoFi continues to issue audiophile recordings on 24K CDs (like the John Lennon titles), SACDs (like the Little Richard SACD), and audiophile vinyl.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

Depends on what titles you are looking for and how far you want to go for these 24K gold CDs.

As mentioned in other posts, Mobile Fidelity, DCC (now defunct), and Sony Mastersound are the obvious labels when gold CDs are mentioned. I believe Audio Fidelity has morphed into another label....I forget the name but I have a 24K gold CD of Doobie Brothers still sealed (waiting for the big payday). Warner Music, way back in the early to mid 90s, also issued gold CDs with titles by Genesis, Phil Collins, etc.

If you for imports, Sony Germany released a bunch of gold CDs several years ago; I have gold CDs of Journey's "Greatest Hits" and a Celine Dion compilation. I have seen gold CDs of Meat Loaf and Janis Joplin from this series. I picked these gold CDs up for $13.98/each at Tower Records before they started their "out-of-business" sales. Other foreign labels release 24K gold CDs as well....I am still looking for Hong Kong Warner Music's 24K gold CD of Phil Collins' "Serious Hits", which was made and remastered by Denon in Japan. I am currently working on a deal for a gold CD of Pink Floyd from Australia. I will post some pic if I get the CD.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Paul.S,

Just check eBay. Personally, I'd go with the SACD of "Madman..." if you have an SACD player. It sounds excellent.

While I can't vouch for the new 24K gold CDs from MFSL, they are still producing them and are on sale from Music Direct. When last I saw, some Linda Ronstadt title is coming out as well as Allman Bros. Band, Natalie Merchant (Tigerlily) and Little Feat (Little Feat). The have recently been putting out a bunch of John Lennon stuff as well.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Yeah Ron I know about ebay to find those MFSLs. I actually have the Madman MFSL and what I was asking John (or anyone else) for was something to corroborate the assertion that MFSL "screwed up" the mastering job on that release.

I'm very tempted by the Madman (and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road) SACDs. I just finally got Captain Fantastic and like it tremendously. I'm just trying to "behave" and prioritize purchase of albums that I don't have in any format yet over upgrading titles I already have. I also find it difficult to bring myself to sell MFSLs after having acquired so many (a few dozen) over many years of collecting.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

Ahh, OK...my bad! I had heard the same, but I don't think ever read anything where MFSL admitted it. I'd be curious to see this as well.

I hear ya there...I have a TON of MFSL discs that I collected a few years ago because I thought they'd bring some money in the future since they were OOP. Well, I ate it on the "Dark Side of the Moon" MoFi...the SACD crushes it! ;) I can vouch for all of the Elton SACDs...they sound astonishing. In fact, "Rocket Man" and "Bennie & The Jets" are frequent demo material in my house.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

I think MFSL gold CDs still bring in the big $$$, even if later versions surpass them in sound quality. It's not necessarily about the sound quality that makes a CD valuable, it's also about the rarity.

BTW, Japanese first-pressing CD of DSOTM also brings in the big $$$ as well.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

Obviously, you shouldn't buy a CD, any possible collectible CD, at market price and expect it to make a killing. I think any gold CD from any "classic artist" will appreciate in value. I remember buying the Doobie Brothers gold CD (released by Audio Fidelity and mastered by Steve Hoffman) that was released a few years back for $20.00....and now it's worth a lot more than that $20.00.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks