What's new

24: Season Six thread (1 Viewer)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
That's what I said the second I heard Wayne was the new president a few months back. I suppose it's better than the last guy though.

So is there any speculation on what "price" the U.S. had to pay the Chinese to get Jack back?

I kind of liked the idea of Jack going rogue with the other terrorist guy. To bad it looks like that won't last.

I like how their response to the people (like me) that are thinking, "How can Jack just come back from being tortured for two years in China and jump right in to fighting terrorists again?" is to just have Jack botch a torture and say, "I don't know how to do this anymore." And then proceed to save a subway full of people from a bomb. I'm sure they'll try to squirt us with "Jack doubts himself" moments throughout the season to try to make it more plausible. I say don't even bother. Just let Jack do his thing.

Was that Ed Harris in the previews? It sure looked like him.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Ed Harris? I didn't catch that if it was.

I don't think Dr. Bashir is practicing Medicine anymore. Or he is the roughest surgeon ever with that knife in the knee. :)

I like him in the role though.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Fayed is clearly not a criminal mastermind. First, his torture base is within driving distance of L.A. -- especially with 24 traffic rules -- so that Jack can thwart his plan. Second, they place the suicide bomber on the last train, you know the one with the candy glass on the back door. That was LOL funny.

I didn't catch what position the Biscuit holds in the govt. Didn't care for his casting, either.

What did Fayed do with the long needly thing that really hurt? Is there someplace specific that's really effective that's a "well known" torture tactic, or do we just use our imagination?

Happened before Season 1, in 1999.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
Well....

As the first 4 episodes kept me awake till 3am, I can say that this season certainly starts off with a bang!

Can see any 24 fan by-passing tonights 2 hours for the globes...

Tonights 2 are by far are the strongest episodes of the 4.

Not to miss!

Dugger

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

Actually, the Golden Globes are essentially a joke, as far as the awards go. Up until a few years ago, the ceremony wasn't even shown live. It was edited and packaged and shown syndicated on weekend afternoons. The winners didn't even show up.

It wasn't until Dick Clark bought them and packaged them for network TV that they actually started to matter. Then, people started to look to them as an Oscar indicator (even though by now the Critics choices are a bigger indicator).

It is made up of 70 critics, from publications no one has ever heard of, who vote on it. They gave an award to Pia Zadora, of all people.

Still, they ARE fun. And, even I don't know which I will be watching tonight.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

Since Peter MacNicol is on the show, I think it's clear who the big bad will be.

Veeeeeeeeeeego ... the Carpathian.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
The worst 24 season opening I have ever seen. It was nothing short of a 2 hour liberal properganda speech during at least 50% of the show. I said it before, EW had it nailed and so did a couple of others in regard to it being a big political statement this season.

It doesn't matter to me if it were all conservative views, I just don't want to watch a show with political views regardless. I also said in this thread I want to escape, be entertained and not reminded or beaten over the head with scripts that director's/writer's views of real life. It takes you out of the moment of fantasy and I know others that felt the same way.

24 has grown long in the tooth and is nothing but a shell of what it was in season one. The character of Jack has turned into a James Bond with Superman abilities to recover. If they were taking it down this road, then why not just go for the whole James Bond type package?

Season 6 is nothing more than a re-write of past shows with little or no thought whatsoever. Why not do something really gritty? I thought the whole China premise had a lot of potential to do something not done in the past. A Jack that had been broken, beaten down and living a dismal life in China. The twists and turns they could've done would give enough material to not repeat past events.

I'm finishing the opening, but I've already decided it's gone from my season pass.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter

Was this in the previews for tonight? If so, it is a spoiler. It certainly wasn't in last night's episode that the character you mentioned would be making an appearance. Thanks for blowing it for me. :angry:

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

Two episodes in and you're already bailing on the entire season? Gotta love that type of mentality. :rolleyes

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Also, JediFonger, you need to either start using spoiler tags every time you post or STOP posting!!! Just because you've seen the episodes before us doesn't mean you can come in here and ruin it for everyone else!

mylan

Screenwriter

If you will look back, he spoilerized the actual actor but not his comment " I don't know why they wouldn't use blank blank, that would totally rock".
It is kinda hard discussing this show while keeping it spoiler free, to me, you're just asking for it by coming on here before viewing. This is why I haven't looked into the "Rome Season II" thread yet.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Aren't all seasons of 24 basically a re-write of past seasons? I think so, but I'm still entertained by it. Nothing will top the "newness" of season 1.

And I do agree, it would have been better had they done something in China (and I said that in the season 5 thread least year), but I also said they didn't have the sack to do it.

As for the political statement, I didn't even notice. How was it any different than the past 4 seasons?

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

Liberal?

Conservative, if anything. I mean, the show's biggest fan is Rush Limbaugh, who raved about the opening 4 episodes all last week. He is friends with the creators, and the creators and some of the cast members (Tony and Chloe) even appeared at a talk at the ultra right wing Heritage Foundation, hosted by Limbaugh.

The show basically shows why suspects SHOULD be tortured. Not exactly liberals behind the show.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter

The post I quoted of jedifonger's named both the character and the actor who would be playing him. The rule in this forum on spoilers is simple -- no discussions of anything that hasn't aired on the east coast without spoiler tags. Previews are considered spoilers. That's it. I appreciate sometimes a slip will happen, but this is the second spoiler he's busted in this thread in the last few days. Seriously, once you've blundered once, be a little bit more careful. The other thing is that his post mentioned only the preview. No other value about the show that actually aired.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I found the first 2 episodes riveting. Movies like "Crank" and such usually do little to get my adrenalin going (not problematic, since that isn't what I'm looking for when I settle in to watch entertainment), but there's no denying that by the time I finished watching "24", I felt like I'd had a mild workout.

Jackula was just so ridiculously Bauer I couldn't decide whether to be horrified by what I was watching or just laugh out loud. I think I did both.

It was nice to see Chloe screw up despite the most honorable of intentions. Having her husband call her "hot" was a nod to the fans who've taken to the character. However, I'm feeling no chemistry between them yet. She had more with Edgar (so far).

President Palmer II isn't working for me. Dennis Haysbert just had such a presence you bought him as President. I even bought President Weasel last year. D.B. Woodside doesn't work for me in that role (so far), though it isn't going to stop me from enjoying the show.

Dr. Bashir is definitely using his knives in new and interesting ways since Star Trek:DS9. Nice to see him, and he's believable in the role.

The apparent political undertone didn't bother me -- so much so that I didn't even notice it. So we have to balance security versus human rights? I didn't think there was any debate on either side about that. The only question is where you draw the line. I thought the show presented both sides and I didn't dwell on it.

Now if only I could remember Milo's role in Season 5. I keep seeing him as Claire's boyfriend on Six Feet Under.

I'm looking forward to tonight's portion of the two-night double feature.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I assume your referring to Karen Hayes talking about concentration camps and the Sandra Palmer character (and she was only in episode 2) but saying 50% of the episodes were 'liberal propaganda' seems like a wild overstatement. And like Jon alluded to, the majority of the show's producers are conservative. Unless they all had a major change of heart over the summer, I don't think it's designed to be propaganda for either side. It's only the viewpoint of the character. Either way, it's obvious that you decided that you weren't going to like it before seeing it anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks