What's new

"24" Season 4 promo DVD in Entertainment Weekly (1 Viewer)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Got this in E.W yesterday. It shows, roughly, the first 24 minutes of the premiere episode. Check it out.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
After watching the first 24 minutes, I'm psyched for season 4! It'll leaving you wanting 1/9/05 to roll around soon enough.

(Not sure if the director makes all that much difference on such a serialized show as 24, but this episode was directed by Jon Cassar, who has directed numerous episodes of 24 for the past 3 seasons).

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I think 24 has shown it makes a noticeable difference - Stephen Hopkins really had a knack for cranking the tension during the first season, while Cassar taking over as lead director robbed the show of a little something. I found myself really looking forward to the Bryan Spicer episodes last year, because he seemed a couple notches above Cassar.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
In a general sense, I don't think people make that much of a distintion on "must-see" TV solely on who directed an episode of TV (vs. a theatrical film), that's what I was getting at, and I still don't really discern that much difference in the cadre of "24" directors because it's more about the storyline elements to me w/r/t viewing enjoyment.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
No, the director of a TV show doesn't have the importance from an advertising perspective that he does in film, except for certain stunts - James Cameron on Dark Angel, Tarantino on ER. Heck, Fox isn't even pushing the Bryan Singer episodes of House as anything special. And since directors aren't given much flexibility for style on most shows, because of the "doing half a movie in two weeks" (one of shooting, one of post) and "consistency between episodes" things, so it's not that important.

Still, I think that 24 highlights the difference in quality of directors in part because of its structure; not only do they have to be good with the split-screens, but they don't have tricks like slow-motion and flashbacks to fall back on. Hopkins was good at wringing every last bit of suspense out of an hour, and Spicer (another guy with feature credits) is better than Cassar; I've been vaguely hoping he got the lead job this year, but it looks like Cassar again.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
With 24, while I usually take note of the directors I can't say I've found any stronger than the others. The visual style and performances are usually pretty transparent. I was initially attracted to Hopkins' work from knowing him based on his films but Casser, Spicer, and others have all directed episodes that I've found just as good as Hopkins'. Most of my few issues with the show come down much more to the writing than the direction and other technical aspects which are all pretty excellent IMO.

For comparison with The X-Files, I was very aware of the different directors with my favorites, Kim Manners and Rob Bowman, being fairly distinctive. I may be confusing him with someone else but I also think I remember Bryan Spicer directing an episode or two of X-Files.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
Also, is there really much of a "lead" with 24? While Casser usually gets the openers and closers, it seems like they stick to pretty much a straight up rotation among the directing pool. Given the constantly slam-bang nature of the show it doesn't seem nearly as dependent on the "okay its sweeps so bring out the big guns" emphasis so many other shows stick too so I haven't noticed Casser getting more meaty material than the other guys.

Then again, maybe my perception is warped from waiting to watch each season on DVD?

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Am I to assume this is only in the magazine sent to subscribers and not on the newsstand? Guess I shouldn't have let my subscription lapse. Anyway, which issue? The best of 2004?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I susbscribe and got the DVD, and it was the year end double-issue with Jon Stewart on the cover (I think).

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The lead director, be it Casser or Hopkins, does at least half the episodes in a given year, and is credited as a producer, so he probably has much more say in setting the show's overall style than the other guys who are hired for a week or two.

Not that 24 is unique in this; other shows that have directors as part of their production staff are similarly a notch above those that don't (see also Jon Avnet on Boomtown, Bryan Singer on House). Even if Casser's not as good as Hopkins, having someone like him aboard is part of why 24 is one of the slickest shows on TV.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I thought I read awhile back that a famous director was going to/was interested in Directing an episode this season. I can't remember who it was though.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I rented this disc from Netflix and the opener looks sweet! :emoji_thumbsup:

Cant wait to see whats in store for Jack this year.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Yep I have this disc as well.Now why is the most annoying character is the only one left in this show? Almost every scene at CTU involves her,and she takes every opportunity to make some dumbass remark to her coworkers.If you hated Chloe already, then you gonna hate her more guaranteed!However the show looks to be good just like the previous ones.
BTW Casser is the director on this one.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda

You are correct, Kevin. Spicer directed the Lone-Gunmen-focused XF ep "Three Of A Kind", and these 6 eps of The Lone Gunmen (for which he was also a produder):

Bond, Jimmy Bond
Three Men and a Smoking Diaper
Madam, I'm Adam
Diagnosis: Jimmy
Tango De Los Pistoleros
All About Yves

Also for 1013, he directed the "Inga Fossa" ep of Harsh Realm.

He's also directed eps of a couple of my own personal favorites, The Adventures Of Brisco County Jr., Night Visions, Keen Eddie, and Eerie Indiana, among many others.

If I remember correctly, he was also a 2nd-unit director for The X-Files for a while.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't stand her at first but I love Chloe now.

So I'm happy to see her return.

I think that she's supposed to be the comic relief. Granted, it's a very serious show and maybe comic relief isn't necessary but she gives me a laugh every now and then. After a few episodes, I started enjoying her uncalled for straight-forwardness (if that's actually a word) and her personality 'quirks'.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Hopkins and crew were the best team for 24. The show did take some hits stylistically when the switch happened in Season Two. I was hoping that with the new cast switch maybe the producers would try some new directors and writers to freshen up the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks