What's new

24: Season 2 - Hour 9 - 01/07/03 - It's back! (1 Viewer)

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Well for the first time we can finally say "Kim, you're not such a stupid cow!" She actually was calm and collected in this episode. She kept reassuring her boyfriend that CTU would come for them and they'd take care of it. What was with that? How did she get so rational? Could she be behind it all? Perhaps she's the mastermind and the stupidity before was just an act. :D
OK, now explain this. If Nina has given them the necessary information, and they find the nuke, why doesn't CTU shoot her? Her life isn't worth squat then. Only a few people at CTU and in the president's office know what she's been offered. Only people on the extreme left or who just want to badmouth the president are going to say that the agreement with Nina should be honored. I wonder what she's thinking. They've agreed to let her kill her hostage, so her hostage is useless. This is an interesting situation.
What's with the security of the place the president is at? How can people just come and go as they please? They should be able to track people's movements better than they are. You'd think there'd be some security checkpoints where they track who comes and goes. How can they not find the person who let the reporter go, and how can the reporter walk out of there without anyone else notice? Seems like a bit of a plot hole to me.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I don't think there's that much wiggle room in Nina's deal. But the deal will be moot since the bomb won't be where she said it would be (since the truck blew a tire and only one of the three terrorists is now with the truck), so Jack will be kept alive because they won't give Nina immunity for bogus info.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
What's with the security of the place the president is at? How can people just come and go as they please? They should be able to track people's movements better than they are. You'd think there'd be some security checkpoints where they track who comes and goes. How can they not find the person who let the reporter go, and how can the reporter walk out of there without anyone else notice? Seems like a bit of a plot hole to me.
Armus led him out, he is the chief and even if there were guards here and there on the way, he made up a lie for them.

I think I should stop reading these threads as all the nitpicking and 100s of "theories" just spoil the series.

Dan M~

Second Unit
How do you survive a plane falling out of the sky under you?
Per Jacks shouts, the Pilot was in limited control of the plane, it did not fall, just crashed with (Woody Voice)"style"(/Woody voice).

I'll swear that in one external shot of the plane descending, the elevator was blown off (the horizonal fin just aft of where the engine should have been)... that would cause a very wild ride and all control would be lost.

Hey, Jack and Nina are "Unbreakable".

FredHD

Stunt Coordinator
My nitpick/theory regarding the current Nina situation is why can't one of they have one of the CTU rescuers come sharp shoot the gun out of her hand (we don't want to kill her yet). They are going to be there a while waiting for the information to come through or not. The way 24 travel times are, if there is no one there already that she can't see, they could get someone there quick to snipe her.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
If Nina has given them the necessary information, and they find the nuke, why doesn't CTU shoot her?
If she has the pardon, then the only crime she has committed is killing the other terrorist. If she immediately drops the gun after blowing Jack's head off, then they have no justification to just shoot her. Which is not to say that one of those other guys might not "feel threatened" and kill her "in self defense". It's certainly a dangerous game she's playing.

Oh yeah: I liked it when they first walked into the torture room, the guy was wearing the plastic poncho. Not a good sign.

//Ken

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

For sure not BEFORE the murder in question was committed, right??

That whole thing really bothers me, because it seems way too far fetched.

Otherwise it was a good episode, the Reza story is the most interesting right now IMO.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I was under the impression that they didn't cut anything OFF, they just cut INTO his back (skin, muscle, I don't know) and later applied some painful chemical. I don't think I'd want to be cut into or cut up. You have to wonder that once people are torturing you to that end, that you are going to die. Who would keep you alive after doing such a thing. Sucks.

Nina needs to be shot squarely between the eyes. She's an awesome villain, I hate her with all my being. I want to see her die. At this point I don't care if Jack does it or not.

Part of me feels that Jack IS NOT safe from death during the course of any season of 24. It would be a ballsy move to kill off your star, but I feel like they could.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Part of me feels that Jack IS NOT safe from death during the course of any season of 24. It would be a ballsy move to kill off your star, but I feel like they could.
I've read that Sutherland doesn't have a whole lot of interest in a third season (though I can't remember where). I wouldn't be at all surprised if he perished at 7:30am, really. Just hoping he takes Nina with him.

A fun thing to do might be for Jack to be about to kill Nina and have George talk him down - then put a bullet in her head himself. "What are they going to do - give me a life sentence?" Especially if we get a look of horror on Nina's face because she'd figured Jack for the loose cannon and George for the pragmatist.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Re: Keifer leaving 24 by his own choice (not a writing decision).

Keifer mentions in the TV guide this week that (paraphrasing) "when something like 24 comes along, you just have to bow your head and be thankful".

I suspect he'd stay on if 1) they asked him and 2) the season 3 script was good. I suspect they also wouldn't be against giving him a raise, though I don't know what he's making now.

I don't think a 3rd season is a sure bet anyway, as ratings have yet to be phenomenal. I maintain, however, that season 3 is where the agressive DVD releases would pay off.

As an aside - in the article, they indicate that Keifer and Donald are not close (though not at odds). I'm surprised. I'd always had it in my mind that they would be, but I never knew anything about either of their personal lives. I also (of course) didn't know that Keifer has a twin sister.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
There's probably no legal way for the president to grant immunity to Nina for killing Jack. However immunity is probably the proper word rather than a pardon. Its like when a prosecutor gives immunity to someone who hasn't been found guilty of a crime. They're telling the guy that if he confesses and rats on his friends, they won't try him. This is the same thing Nina is asking for. The legality of it doesn't matter. They're in a crisis situation. Is there a law anywhere that says a federal agent can shoot a witness who is in protective custody, cut off his head, and use it to infiltrate a group of terrorists? I highly doubt it, but due to the situation Jack got away with it. Can the president hold a member of the press against his will so he won't report his information? Again, no, but its a crisis situation.

Arguing about whether the president can let Nina kill Jack is silly, he has to tell her yes so he can get the information he needs to stop a nuclear bomb from potentially killing thousands of people. It may be illegal, it may be immoral, but its the only choice he's got. Is congress really going to impeach him then throw him in jail for this if it can be shown doing this directly led to stopping the bomb? Even if they did, would it still not be worth the sacrifice to stop the bomb?

But still, why should Nina think they'll keep their word? She's a traitor, a killer, and a supporter of terrorists, regardless of whether she's pardoned or not, she should be taken out. They can rig it so its not obvious what happened. And regardless, who's going to care what happened to her?

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

In those cases, the crime has already been committed. In this case, it hasn't. Same with Jack killing the sexoffender in the first episode, nobody else knew he would do it. In this case, Nina states exactly what she intends to do, and they go along with it. It just rings very false to me, and I wish they would have come up with a more clever scenario.

Even if Nina has immunity, there's nothing stopping the operatives from taking her down if she tries to kill Jack.

They could just say she was trying to shoot someone else, and he was just defending himself. Or they could make up some lie that it wasn't really the president on the phone, who would know.

Whatever happens, I'm sure they can come up with some other alternative to letting her walk away clean.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Aside from the fact that its totally unimportant whether Palmer granting immunity is legal, look at it this way, diplomats have diplomatic immunity, it goes with the job. They're told up front they can get away with breaking certain laws that normal citizens can't. That's what Nina is asking for. Or you could look at it as though she is asking that when all is said and done, Palmer will give her immunity from her crimes. Not that he grants it now, but he promises to grant it when the time comes.

Mason said to the president the most important fact. Nina knows that regardless of what the president has promised, Jack will hunt her down and kill her. In order for her to have her freedom, she has to have immunity, as well as protection from Jack. The only way she'll be safe from him is if he's locked up or he's dead. But even if the president agreed to lock him up, why would he keep that promise? And what legal reason would he have to do this?

I still don't see how she plans to get away. I still believe that someone could kill her after they confirm the location of the nuke, and that would be that. Palmer would just pardon that person, if the prosecutor would even bring charges. They could make her pardon disappear also.

OliverT

Stunt Coordinator
I find it confusing as well why Nina hasn't already shot Jack. Now that she has coughed up the info she can shoot Jack with no repercussions - IF the president honors his word. She should have just shot him immediately and bargained later...what she is doing makes no sense. Now, if the president doesn't keep his word she is screwed no matter what happens (Jack kills her or the CTU troops kill her).
I'm also confused as to why the president doesn't have Nina taken out now that he has the information he needs. Maybe he thinks he'll need more information? She only talked to the terrorist guy on the plane for about 2 seconds without being heard - enough time to spit out an address but not much more. It would be stupid to have any qualms about killing her after she just blackmailed you with the lives of 2 million people. Just kill her and be done with it. You simply do not negotiate with terrorists.
If the President had just said 'no' to her request then what? Would she have offed Jack and gotten herself killed or captured? Doubtful. She really wouldn't have many viable options. I think she'd give herself up with the prior deal still in place and just hope to god that Jack won't kill her. She could simply have demanded from the President that Jack be removed from the case altogether. The president would have made that deal and that would have been her biggest chance for survival and freedom.
We need someone to bust out some game-theory grid and analyze the possible scenarios :D .

Travis_S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis
If anyone else taped it, watch the area with Nina in it when they come back from the last commercial break, it shows an operative placing his weapon on the ground, and then backing away with his hands in the air.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I think Nina is doing the smart thing. She has to kill Jack to ensure he won't show up sometime in the future to kill her. However, she doesn't want to live on in captivity, so she's playing her cards to get both ends. But what if the information she gives isn't enough? Perhaps she has more cards to play if her address information isn't enough. She could continue to hold Jack hostage while she arranges another deal.

Right now, she has proven to be the only remaining source of information about the bomb and she's holding someone she knows the President cares deeply about. Additionally, she's played her cards such that the good guys don't know if she's given all she can give.

Nope, she's right not to kill him now in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks