What's new

24: Is there going to be a Season 3 (1 Viewer)

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Sorry if this has been discussed already, but I do not visit the TV Programming board much, and I did so a search on this, but couldnt find anything...

But is 24 going to have a 3rd season? Although I love the show, when I go to work and talk to people not on the internet, all I hear about are people discussing reality shows and the cable shows like Sopranos or the Sheid. Is 24 even doing that well? This show must have a very high production cost, so I would be afraid that Fox would pull the plug on it if it wasnt doing all that well.

Anyone know? Thanks.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It's too early in the season for anyone to know whether the show will be renewed. I saw a recent interview with one of the producers, who said they haven't even discussed it.

M.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If Keifer Sutherland wants to do a third season, I think it would be a go, but there have been reports that he might not want to be back. The ratings have been okay, and for some reason, it might get better with American Idol in the time slot before it.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Networks generally don't even start thinking about these questions until April, when they've started to see pilots, have more sampling data, and have to start working on the next fall schedule.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I would like it if they did. But could understand if they didn't. I mean, I love the show, but you have to have a lot of suspension of disbelief. I mean how likely is it that all this stuff is going to happen to one person and his family, friends and associates in one 24 hour period. Now already on 2 occassions in his life. To setup something like this a third time may be too much.

Joel C

Screenwriter
It's doing a lot better this year, up something like 20% and it held some of the AI lead-in pretty well. Plus it is the only show on Fox with any chance of Emmy nominations or anything similar, which is why X-Files was on for so long!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I remember seeing an interview with Kiefer on (I think) The Daily Show and he said he didn't want to do more than 3 seasons because it was very tough, albeit enjoyable, and it would be too far-fetched for all of this to happen to one guy 3 times.

If they brought in someone else at the end of this season and then killed off Jack in the next one to focus on the new guy, I'd be for it (so long as it's done well). What I would hate to see is a nobody taking over the leading role in another season without any sort of transition.

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
Well, they could do a third season, but you could only have limited people return. Jack, and MAYBE President Palmer and his staff. And possibly Tony again. Other than that, there's no need for Nina, George, Kim, etc.

And although you can't have a season seven with Jack Bauer, it's not that far fetched that a guy who works for a counter terrorist unit has very bad days. I could see if he was a pizza delivery man. But his job is to prevent terrorism. His days will be terrible sometimes. The problem is HOW bad the writers make his day. Last season was okay. This season they've gone WAY overboard. They've tried to make each episode "wow" you instead of utilizing that one episode as an entire part of the show. That's why Jack has bombed a building, murdered many people, gone down in a plane crash, and been held hostage all in 11 hours.

Peter McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
If Kiefer doesn't come back for a third season, they can still do the show. They just have to focus the plot on another character... for example:

Season 3 Plot: Kim falls while going for walk, hits her head, remains unconscious for 24 hours.

Peter

James T

Screenwriter
You can do Season 3. It can take place the next day after Season 2 and you can watch Jack Sleep for 8 episodes before starting his day.

I would love to see a third season. With or without Kiefer, the show will still be great.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
While the idea of someone in the CTU having bad days makes sense, it can't always be Jack Bauer. He already left the CTU after his wife was killed and then reluctantly joined them again.

I just hope a 3rd season is more like the first. The second season is very good, but the first one had more suspense than cliffhangers.

Rob Cooper

Stunt Coordinator
It might be cool to have each season focus on a different CTU member but the staff there remains the same. So Jack has to help another member of the team deal with their 24hours. (I haven't seen any of season 2 as it's not on here in New Zealand yet).

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
If they plan ahead, Season 3 should be about Jack Bauer (as the bad guy who's really a good guy) vs. President Palmer (as a good guy who's really a bad guy) - the ultimate showdown. Jack is just crazy enough to take on the whole U.S. govt., and Palmer is just trusting enough in all of his corrupt administration to believe anything they tell him about Jack. It wouldn't take a plot contrivance any greater than the ones that they've already exploited to set Bauer up as a fugitive trying to clear his name. And there are plenty of opportunities in that plot structure for Kim to do something really, really stupid. :)

Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks