What's new

24 and defective/lousy packaging (1 Viewer)

Tom De Rosa

Stunt Coordinator
Just opened my 24 Season 1 I purchased at Costco and all the plastic holders are loose.

The glue is not holding and seems like it is melting. It's like it was left in my car on a 100 degree day, but it wasn't, went right home after my purchase.

Any else having this problem?

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
My holders are fine, although one disk was loose - poorly set at the factory or jostled out in transit. But it fit securely when I put it back. My complaint is again the use of real glue to secure the feature sheet on the back. I had posted this complaint in Studio Feedback a little while ago related to the Speed boxset. I'm not sure why Fox insists on using actual glue for this application instead of that loose gummy stuff that is used to attach credit cards when you get them in the mail. If you try and remove the sheet from 24 (just like Speed) it rips. And the main box is cardboard so I'm not going to apply any solvent to remove the residue. As a collector this really rattles me.

Tom Foley

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, same here. It's not like they fall off when you open it up, but if you slightly bend the cardboard the holders start coming up at the corners. Really shoddy, and not at all like the Simpsons sets IIRC.

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
My set, too, appeared to have been hastily put together. The folds of the fold-out set were poorly lined up and not quite spacious enough for the digipak holders. Disk 2 was loose, but the tight quarters kept it in place. The biggest annoyance I had was with the fact that rubber cement had been used to attach the digipaks to the backing.
Fortunately, I had a 6-disk keep case ready and waiting for this bad boy, so it went straight into something more protective and sturdier. :)

Jon_Liu

Stunt Coordinator
Odd, my casing was just fine. In fact, I had trouble getting the DVD's out of their holders!!

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
My case was fine but disc 2 was a floater and was pretty badly scratched up. Took it back to Costco, got a replacement and all is well.

Lisel

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going to try to exchange mine tonight. Some discs were loose and slightly scratched, some won't lie flat, disc three had fingerprints all over, and I also noticed some of the plastic holders coming off the backing. Oddly, the sheet on the back was affixed with the gummy adhesive; comes right off.

Lisel

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator
My second disc was a floater as well, but no visible scratches.

With regards to the glue, I was able to remove the glue residue from the feature sheet with a damp paper towel (just water) with no harm to the packaging (I don't keep the feature sheets, so having it tear a little while removing it from the back was no big deal for me)

BrandonM

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased 24 from Best Buy and everything was packaged fine. No dvds were loose or plastic holders and the glue used on the back of the package was of the "gummy" variety. It's odd that the feature sheet is being affixed with two different types of glue.

Paul-Gunther

Stunt Coordinator
My second disc was loose as well, but fit fine once I put it back.

The plastic holders were not loose, and there is no glue holding down the insert on the back: it's the same gummy stuff that's been used on every X-Files set I've bought.

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
What a mess. I got my copy at Costco this afternoon and the packaging is as "slapped together" as anything I've ever seen. I always shake the DVD cases these days to avoid loose/damaged discs, but this one sounded OK. Was I wrong. Another wasted trip to return another defective DVD case. Sigh.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
My first disc was out of the holder, and the top of the package itself was a little bent. I didn't mind it, it wasn't too bad.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
My case from a Circuit City purchase had a bend in the spine. The flap that contains the booklet was not bent in properly and the disfigured box was crammed into the slipcase. One of the discs (4 or 5) was loose in the package, and actually contributed to the bulging of the package. No scratches, luckily. I also had the "gummy glue" on the back.

Chris M

Second Unit
My case was fine, all discs in securely... but I had REAL glue to attach the back paper.. just like with Speed box and Simpsons Season 2 box :frowning: VERY sad.. I don't like it!
Chris.

Tim H

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased 24 from Best Buy and everything was packaged fine. No dvds were loose or plastic holders and the glue used on the back of the package was of the "gummy" variety. It's odd that the feature sheet is being affixed with two different types of glue.
I also purchased mine from best Buy and had no problems with the set. The DVDs were securely in place and gummy glue was holding the feature sheet in place on the back.

I did have a concern with the security strip being placed on the outside of the box under the feature sheet, but it pulled off fine. Just took it slow and easy.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I looked at the 24 set at Wal-mart. I passed on it this week, but the very first thing I noticed was the cheap feel of the packaging. Very dissapointing, considering the great track record Fox has with TV show packaging for Simpsons and X-Files.

Out of curiosity, how much was it at Cotsco? I have been thinking of getting a membership there. Are they generally competitive with Best Buy's release week prices?

thanks

Jodee

Screenwriter
It was $39.99 at Costco - well below Best Buy's price of $45.99.

Aside from a few loss leader titles, Costco is usually cheaper than Best buy, especially on box sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks