20th DVD any suggestions??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith_R, Aug 19, 2001.

1. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I'm looking to buying my 20th DVD. I know 20 doesn't seem like much but I've long considered it my high water mark (at least until I reach 100 [​IMG] ) anyways, I want my 20th DVD to be something special since it took this long to get to this point. I'm strongly considering either buying "The Abyss Special Edition" or "Fight Club" is there any other suggestions that you guys would like to offer? my other option is too wait for 8/28 and "Forrest Gump" what should I do? thanks.
    -Keith-

2. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

Well ... The Abyss is a really good choice, but you need to be aware that the presentation is non-anamorphic and the aspect ratio is 2.35:1. That's never a good combination. Having said that, I have to admit that this is one of the better non-anamorphic presentations out there and the provided extras are awesome.
    As for another "suggestion" ... It really depends on what you like and what you already have.
    Since you mentioned a James Cameron film then I'm going to assume that you already own the T2:UE Release. The Aliens SE Directors' Cut is surely already in your collection as well. If not, then these are certainly two that can be highly recommended.
    Joseph

3. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Here's some discs your library HAS to have:
    Lawrence of Arabia (no-brainer) anamorphic, DD 5.1 and original 70mm sound (I prefer the 5.1...it's more enveloping)
    North By Northwest (no brainer) anamorphic, DD 5.1
    O Brother Where Art Thou (anamorphic, DTS, DD 5.1)
    It Happened One Night (no-brainer) mono (1934 film)
    Wizard of Oz (no-brainer) DD 5.1 (excellent remix), TONS of extras...the original mono isn't on the disc, I think...but the scratchy mono sound wouldn't match the excellent restored image. This has to be the best mono to 5.1 remix ever made (the original dialogue, music, and sound effects tracks appear to have been used.)
    Superman: The Movie (EXCELLENT disc. No original stereo, but I think Richard Donner said on the commentary track with Tom Mankewitz that the original sound mix wasn't very good...the 5.1 remix is GREAT)
    ------------------
    P.S.: There's no P.S.

5. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Just buy Fight Club. It is easily best DVD I own and will also be the best movie I own until one of BTTF, Indy or SW comes out. Apart from anything else it really benefits from re-watching and has some superb commentaries.
    Theo

6. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

To state the obvious, your 20th DVD should be one of the excellent titles from 20th Century Fox, even if this is the 21st Century.
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    RAF
    [Demented Video Dude since 1997]
    [Computer Maven since 1956]
    ["PITA" since 1942]
    My HT (latest update 02/05/01)

7. Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin Second Unit

A few I would recomend that have not been mentioned:
    Pitch Black
    Men in Black: CE
    Ghostbusters: SE
    Three Kings
    Se7en: CE
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Jay and Silent Bob in
    CLERKS

8. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Here are some basic DVDs or collections for anyones library:
    Superman
    Saving Private Ryan
    Matrix
    Alien (the first three)
    se7en CE
    Fight Club
    Bond (Almost any of them)
    Hitchcock (I recommend Psycho, NxNW, Vertigo, Birds, Trouble w Harry..my fav..its fucking hilarious!)
    Toy Story Ultimate Toy Box
    T2 UE
    Just wanted to throw a few ideas your way

9. Calvin Cullen

Calvin Cullen Stunt Coordinator

Die Hard: Five Star Collection.
    I'm not the world's biggest fan of this movie, but I cannot recommend the DVD highly enough. The supplements do an amazing job of revealing the effort and ingenuity that went into the making of the film. The audio and video quality are excellent as well.

10. aaron campbell

aaron campbell Second Unit

Keith, IMO a must is Saving Private Ryan DTS
    Aaron

11. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  12. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Keith,
    No fair asking if you don't tell us what you already have!
    Try Lawrence of Arabia. You won't be disappointed - this is probably the best film ever made and it's available in a very decent DVD special edition.
    Either that or Das Boot. Forget the hassle that it's a flipper - it's worth the trouble of turning it over when you have another Becks (product placement joke).
    ------------------
    Feline audience members Katie, Susie, and the one and only Fluffy Pumpkin

13. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Fight Club. No question here. This was the one that finally sold me the player last June, and I still love the disc. Great film, and a great DVD.

14. Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings Supporting Actor

Care to give a list of the DVD you do got, or would that take too much time? If not, oh well. I said you get either Fight Club or go to Cicuit City and pick up Taxi Driver for 12 dollars(it a VERY good movie), plus the narrtions is done simlar to Fight Club(but no Jack's something in it).
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Support the DVD release of the Disney Afternoon for her.

15. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

how about Brazil: Criterion Collection?... it is 3 Discs long (with the Director's Cut on one disc, another with the butchered televison cut, and a third disc filled with hours of extras) and it is easily the most comprehensive DVD set that I have EVER encountered... it should be the crown jewel to any serious DVD collection... plus it is one of my favorite films [​IMG]
    Fight Club is definately one of my favorite discs too (I believe it was also my first two disc set)... The sound on the disc can be summed up in one word, AMAZING! FOUR...count em' FOUR commentary tracks and just a freakin' bucketload of extras... and it is one of the best films of the 90's IMHO.
    I am up to 78 discs and am wondering what I should get for the big 1 0 0 ...Any of you guys have an extra Spinal Tap: Criterion Collection you are willing to donate? [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Robert Lutter

16. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

I would advise you NOT to buy any DVD just because it's done well or would cap off your collection well. Only buy movies you love to watch, what's the point otherwise?
    -Tom

17. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

The Third Man of course! One of Criterion's best discs - a great presentation of a genuine classic.
    I'll also recommend the upcoming Criterion edition of Sullivan's Travels - it looks to be a superb disc and ST is a one terrific movie. Veronica Lake, oh my! [​IMG]
    And of course, you simply must have Chicken Run!
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    "Death's at the bottom of everything, Martins - leave death to the professionals!"
    "Mind if I use that line in my next Western?"

18. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    Well i got The Abyss dvd for my 25th dvd, adn it is absolutely excellent, i watched the docus and have spent about an hour with teh text material but still barely delved into it (i wish more discs went so in depth). I was actually hoping for Spartacus CC to be my 25th, but my brother gave me my birthday present early (the abyss), so hopefully I"ll get spartacus from my mom as well [​IMG]

19. Ed Vandeweerd

Ed Vandeweerd Stunt Coordinator

Keith,
    My Suggestion would be "The Gift" an excellent little thriller from last year (2000) which has it all atmosphere with an excellent "cajun creepy score" and a great story. It is a Paramount disc excellent Tranfer with a few extras which stars Cate Blanchette ("Elizabeth"), Katie Holmes ("Wonder Boys"), Keanu Reeves and Oscar Winner Hilary Swank ("Boys Don't Cry") A truly Creepy Engaging Story easily the best Thriller of 2000.
    ------------------
    Ed Vandeweerd
    isniceguy@home.com
    my collection