What's new

20th Century Fox's 'Studio Classics' DVD Series (1 Viewer)

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Studio CLassics at COSTCO, just dropped their price for
the four packs,one that is included in all is "SUNRISE", price drop $23.50. I think one should have it, and the
others something else, who needs that many copies of
"SUNRISE" ??
Does anyone know what is on tapped for the STUDIO
CLASSICS, after APRIL ???

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
While out shopping yesterday, I was shocked as hell to see the 4-packs at CostCo for the ridiculously low price of 23.99 each! I only had THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR and THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (big Bernard Herrmann fan here!), so it was a no-brainer to buy 'em all (four different sets). I then picked up THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK at my local Fry's Electronics, and BAM! Now I've got the whole collection so far! Fifteen bucks each (cheaper online) is a steal for these wonderful discs, but this??? Wow. Anybody with a CostCo nearby should run, not walk, and get these.

Strange that THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR and THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL are absent from these sets... Coincidentally lucky for me, but puzzling.

Oh, I now have a few extra copies of SUNRISE, if anybody's interested.... :D

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Yesterday was the 20th anniversary of Ethel Merman's death, and I recently heard that Fox will be releasing one of her best films, if not her very best film - 'Call Me Madam'

I was surprised that they chose not to include it as one of their 'Studio Classics', but it does look like it will get a very nice DVD treatment including what will probably be a marvelous commentary track from Miles Kreuger, Founder and President of the Institute of the American Musical since 1972.

Release Date: April 20th
UPC: 024543113669
MSRP: $15 (Street: ~$10)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Here's the details on the next studio classic, Desk Set, coming on May 4th for $14.95:

Anamorphic Widescreen
English Stereo
English, Spanish and French Mono
English and Spanish subtitles
Audio Commentary by Merrill and Neva Patterson
Designers Inspired For New Creation By Film "Desk Set"
Theatrical trailer
Cross-promotional trailers
Still gallery

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
About time. :)

Not the best of the Tracy/Hepburns (e.g., Adam's Rib, Pat & Mike), but certainly the best film of theirs unreleased, and another of my few remaining lds that will be happily retired. :)

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Ok, that's a good movie, but not so important as others great Fox classics that remain unreleased. I don't know if it's just my opinion, but I would prefer to see some 30's or 40's pictures for a May release instead of Desk Set.
I'll buy it, though.

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
I have a great deal of affection for Desk Set. I know Adam's Rib and Woman of the Year have better critical reputations, but I think this one is still my fave.

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
A film I would dearly love to see Fox release on DVD would be "The Keys of the Kingdom" with Gregory Peck. This film always used to be shown on TV here in London years ago, but now I don't believe it has been shown for years. A great film deserving of a DVD release.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Where is "VALLEY OF THE DOLLS", perfect for
FOX STUDIO CLASSICS !!!!!!!!

Opi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Felix Wieme
@AlanP
There might be a chance of a release for your desired "Valley of the dolls" ! Fox Germany has just released (01/10/2004) a bare bone disk of this title as "Im Tal der Puppen". In the past almost all Classic Studio titles were released as vanilla disk over here. 50% of the dvds were released in Europe earlier that in the US.

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
If Valley of the Dolls does get a R1 release I can die happy! Neely! Neely O'hara!!!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
News Item in the Houston Chronicle.

Arnie G was found dead today in his living room. In his hands was an unopened dvd of Valley of the Dolls. Police do not yet know the cause of death, but the corpse did have a big smile on his face.

:)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
It's inevitable that Valley Of The Dolls will find its way to DVD but NEVER under the Fox Studio Classics banner.

Of course, if Fox had a Fox Studio Trash Classics line, then Valley Of The Dolls would be perfect as the first disc.

Opi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Felix Wieme
LOL :)

@Thomas T
You're right, the cover looks very cheesy
"dvdinside.de/db/details.php?id=9200"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks