What's new

20th Century Fox's 'Studio Classics' DVD Series (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Robert - I hope you are correct. As Herb noted... I'll buy a copy of every noir that Fox releases. Anyway, that's probably enough from me on the subject.

Cheers,
Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Which is the point I'm trying to make here! Over the last couple of years, I've talked to Peter several times about releasing Film Noir titles onto dvd. However, Fox is unsure as to how well these titles will sell in today's market. Therefore, my hope is that "Pickup on South Street" will sell enough units to support Peter's desire to release more Film Noir titles.

Crawdaddy

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Please add "The Three Faces of Eve" to the wishlist. It was released on VHS as a "Fox Studio Classic", so on DVD it should naturally be part of the same lineup.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Well here are a few for "STUDIO CLASSICS"
"The Girl Can't Help It"
"Valley Of The Dolls"
"Island In The Sun"
"The Egytptian"
"Three Coins In The Fountain"
"Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte"
"Three Faces Of Eve"

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Nils,
Where did you get info on How to Steal a Million?!! Ive been crying for that title forever.

Thanks

Charles H

Screenwriter
Marilyn Monroe did a terrific film noir for Fox--NIAGARA--and an interesting one--DON'T BOTHER TO KNOCK-both available on dvd. THE ASPHALT JUNGLE will be out from Warners; it was one of the titles on the TCM dvd vote.

Hubert Cornfield on the PRESSURE POINT commentary said that NIGHT OF THE FOLLOWING DAY (announced by Universal) and a terrific b-&-w Cinemascope Fox film--THE THIRD VOICE (1960) would be coming to dvd this year.

Ron Morgan

Agent
Does anyone have an email address for Fox? I have a question about Sunrise (& the now expired promotion) and would like to know if there is someone reliable and considerate to field my question to. I looked on the website and could only find an address for privacy policy concerns. I sent an email there asking them to forward the message, but never got a response. If someone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
I'd like to see THE PRIME OF MISS JEAN BRODIE and BROKEN LANCE added to the Studio Classics line. My other two big wishes from fox are Robert Aldrich's EMPEROR OF THE NORTH POLE and Sam Fuller's FORTY GUNS, but they are too eclectic to be part of Studio Classics.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

As I stated earlier and reiterated by Peter's comments above, how many film noir titles that are eventually released on dvd will be predicated on how well these films sell in today's dvd market. Personally, I'm going to buy every single one of them and I'm sure many of you will do the same. Fox always gives us a great product at very affordable prices, so hopefully, there is enough of us film noir fans out there that will spend enough dollars to support this dvd series.

Crawdaddy

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to see the original "Miracle on 34th Street" restored and remastered in the "Studio Classics" series. Also, it would be nice to have "The Robe" remastered.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
"Peyton Place" was just dropped on a certain website , from $14.00 to $10.00 WHAT A DEAL !!!!!!

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Great news on the Film Noir, Thanks Peter! I think that it is very smart to put them out in a series similar to the Studio Classics. I can't see them not doing well on DVD.

Here are the Film Noir titles I most want to see on DVD:

Boomerang
Call Northside 777
Cry of the City
Dark Corner, The
Fallen Angel
Fourteen Hours
Hangover Square
House of Bamboo
Kiss of Death
House of Strangers
House on 92nd Street, The
I Wake Up Screaming
Leave Her to Heaven
Lodger, The
Nightmare Alley
No Way Out
Panic in the Streets
Road House
Street With No Name, The
Thieves Highway
Where the Sidewalk Ends
Whirlpool

Jay E

Senior HTF Member

I thought that it was just delayed & is going to be part of the Studio Classics line. If not, John is right, it would be the perfect title to start off the Film Noir series with.

I wish Universal would also start their own Film Noir line, maybe if the Fox series does well they'll see the light.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
For those interested, the British Film Institute are releasing R2 DVDs of Where The Sidewalk Ends, Whirlpool and Fallen Angel on March 29th. These are PAL R2 UK discs, all barebones and, to my mind, drastically overpriced at £20 a throw.

Even if Fox don't improve on the extras, I'm sure they'll be one hell of a lot cheaper. I, for one, am holding out for Fox's own wonderful product.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Éditions Montparnasse are also issuing some excellent noirs - some excellent classics full stop - in France; at around Euros 14.99 they are pretty reasonable, but it's the shipping (and the lack of English support on extras) that tends to be a bit of a crippler.

Fox will come through in the end, and the bottom line is they can be generally relied on to produce superb product :emoji_thumbsup:

---
So many films, so little time...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks