What's new

20th Century Fox's 'Film Noir Classics' DVD Series (1 Viewer)

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
A regular at The Blackboard recently posted that he received his screeners for the Fox noirs and that they are indeed numbered. Not a big deal in and of itself, but perhaps it bodes well in terms of the longevity of the line or what they have planned for it.

Chris Cheese

Stunt Coordinator
Screeners are out! That makes it all the more real, and means that some more film noir is coming very soon. It's nice to be reminded. Here's looking forward to reviews.

dave bula

Stunt Coordinator
Two questions.

1. Has the cover design for Laura been changed from the Fox Studio Classics style design we saw earlier, now that it will instead be # 1 in the new Film Noir Classics series?

2. Was Laura pulled from the originally announced Studio Classics release because Fox decided that they would prefer to have it lead off the new Film Noir Classics series?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Maybe, since the Film Noir dvds are numbered liked the Studio Classics and "Laura" is numbered 1 on the spine followed by "Calling Northside 777 with "Panic in the Streets" being number 3.

By the way, all three dvds look very good to excellent.

Crawdaddy

Frank M

Stunt Coordinator
From DVDTimes.co.uk

Fox Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of three titles as part of Film Noir Wave 2 due on 7th June 2005. Priced at $14.98 SRP each are...

House of Bamboo (1955)

In Tokyo a ruthless gang holds up U.S. ammunition trains. Ex-serviceman Eddie Spannier arrives from the States apparently at the invitation of one such unfortunate. But, Eddie isn't quite what he seems.

Features include:

* 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen

* English Dolby Surround 4.0

* French and Spanish Mono

* English and Spanish subtitles

* Audio Commentary by Alain Silver and James Ursin

* Trailer

* Spanish Trailer

* Fox Movietone News Clip: Behind-the-Scenes footage - This clip shows Shirley Yamauchi signing autographs, followed by Sam Fuller, Robert Stack and Shirley Yamauchi on the set being visited by Buddy Adler, head of production at Twentieth Century Fox

* Fox Movietone News Clip: Landing In Japan - This clip shows Sam Fuller, Robert Stack and Shirley Yamauchi deplaning in Japan

* Fox Noir Trailers

Nightmare Alley (1947)

Directed by Edmund Goulding, and based on the book written by William Gresham on his experiences with the 'carnies' of the 1930's Nightmare Alley features a fantastic performance by the great Tyrone Power.

Features include:

* 1.33:1 Full Screen

* English Mono and Stereo

* English and Spanish subtitles

* Audio Commentary by Alain Silver and James Ursin

* Theatrical Trailer

* Fox Noir Trailers

Kiss of Death (1947)

Nominated for two 1947 Oscars®, including Best Original Story, this taut

thriller stars Victor Mature as a two-bit crook trying to go straight.

We don't have any specs for this one just yet, and only temporary art compared to final art on the first two below...

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
I was at Cosco yesterday and was very surprised to see that they were selling a box set of all three intial Fox Film Noir titles for only $18 (just $6 per DVD!). They also had about a dozen or more other 3-DVD box sets from Fox. Quite a few of them had some great titles so if you shop at Costco you might want to check them out.

BTW: I'll try and update the list soon...

dave bula

Stunt Coordinator
I've now seen 4 different titles listed (in different places)as being part of the second round of Fox Film Noirs that is coming 6/7. House Of Bamboo, Street With No Name, Nightmare Alley, and Kiss of Death. If they follow the pattern of 3 at a time, one of these is in error. My guess would be that one of them will not appear until 9/6, to join Dark Corner & Hangover Square. Does anyone know which one it will be?

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Dave,
Since the cover art (per DVD Times) has been posted for House Of Bamboo, Nightmare Alley, and Kiss of Death, my guess is those titles will be released in the second wave in June. The Lodger was also a title that was mentioned for wave 3, so no doubt there's going to be changes. The article that's linked in the noir thread confirms they're going to release 24 titles over the next two years.

Charles H

Screenwriter
HOUSE OF BAMBOO is a remake of STREET WITH NO NAME. They are probably wondering if they should "run" with the same plot in the same wave. I wonder if Fox ever considered adding the condensed "Hour of Stars" renditions to their dvds (e.g., LAURA, CALL NORTHSIDE 777, THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR, MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET, AS YOUNG AS YOU FEEL)? It's a terrific series that deserves to see the light of day on dvd.

AlexHL

Stunt Coordinator
Today, DVD Journal also mentioned Street With No Name as being part of the next wave (and not Kiss of Death).

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Thanks for the tip Nils. I found a few still left at the local Costco this past Friday. What a deal! I always find that it's better to just head over to Costco rather than look to see what is listed on the company website. The WB boxsets, for instance, are rarely listed on the website, but they're usually on the Costco shelves. The money I spent on this and the $30 I spent on the WB Noir and Cary Grant Signature Collection boxes represent the best deals I've found at Costco.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
foxfilmnoir-kissofdeath.jpg

After being dropped from the list of June releases, it looked like the DVD for Kiss of Death was in trouble, but I just noticed that Amazon now lists it with an October 6th release date.
So far Fox has up until now been releasing three titles every three months, which follows their average one new title per month scheme. If this is to continue then we should expect the next batch of releases to come in September, and not October.
In addition, considering Amazon's track record for posting inaccurate information, the October 6th release date should not yet be considered firm, but worth noting all the same.
If Fox sticks with the batch of three scheme, it will be interesting to find out which of the following will be left out:
The Dark Corner
Hangover Square
The Lodger
I assume it will probably be The Lodger, but if it is The Dark Corner I will be particularly disappointed.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I've read somewhere that either The Lodger or Hangover Square is going to Criterion for a dvd release.

Crawdaddy

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Kiss of Death is now confirmed for the December Film Noir release and will not be an Anchor Bay release. Furthormore it now looks as though No Way Out will indeed be part of the November Studio Classics lineup.
(that is until Fox changes their mind again) ;)
BTW: Barrie Maxwell has published his latest Classic Coming Attractions report over at the bits:
[c]http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/barriemaxwell/maxwell063005.html
Classic Reviews Roundup #19 - June 2005[/c]

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Here is the art work for the September 6th line-up of Fox Film Noir titles:
(1945) The House on 92nd Street
(1946) Somehwere in the Night
(1949) Whirlpool
B0009X766O.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
B0009X7678.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
B0009X7682.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

(click on any pic to enlarge)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks