What's new

2017 DVD Guesses? (1 Viewer)

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
To be honest, I really don't expect anything which appeals to us aging baby boomers, to be released in 2017.
We'll see more shows produced in the last 5-10 years which need little if any restorative work.
There are still many great shows of the 50's and 60's (BEN CASEY) just gathering dust on the shelves, while shows of much lesser quality are being given DVD releases. The corporate dummies in charge of releases are too young to remember shows of this era and wouldn't know Bob Cummings if they were hit over the head by him.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
My "guesses" for 2017

Colt 45
The Alaskans
Hondo
Guns of Paradise
Step By Step
Super President
Banana Splits
Chattanooga Cats
The Magician
Longstreet
the Untouchables (90's)
The Immortal
Special Unit 21
Jake 2.0
Angie
Nero Wolfe
Lassie's Rescue Rangers
Hec Ramsey
Sunset Strip

I would also guess that there will be a great deal more one season or short lived series coming out from a variety of sources including Shout, WB, VEI, and amazon, because we did have some pleasant surprises this year on that score. Hey! Who expected Cop Rock, Future Cop, or Raven (the Lee Majors version) in 2016?

I do think we will get a second season of The Defenders because sales of it picked up. (I think).

James

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
The Immortal: Complete Series (VEI)
Longstreet: Complete Series (VEI)
The Magician: Complete Series (VEI)
Trackdown: Complete Series (Timeless)
Gunsmoke: Season 13 (CBS/Paramount)
G.E. True: Complete Series (Warner Archive)
Amazing Stories: Complete Series (Universal or Shout)
The Adventures of Gulliver (Hanna-Barbera, Warner Archives)
Green Acres: Season 5 (Shout)
Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Season 7 (Universal MOD through Amazon)
Darkroom: Complete Series (Shout/Scream Factory)
Fantastic Journey (Sony MOD)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
You know. 2017 might, I repeat might, be better than 2016. We've already got Love Boat season 3 and the last season of Lou Grant on the schedule. I do believe at some point the WB Archives will get past this "dry spell" of not releasing classic television and start releasing more older titles. Who would have expected Best of the West to come out the way it did. By my count, we had about thirty five "unreleased" series come out this year. About only five of this titles lasted more than one season, but there were some pleasant surprises amongst those series.

I'd also like to add the following to my above list:

The Westerner
Just the Ten of Us
My Favorite Martians

James

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I'm still *desperately* holding out hope for "My World and Welcome to It" which won an Emmy for Outstanding Comedy Series in 1970.

The show was *way* ahead of it's time. I was fortunate enough to catch a few episodes when CBS re-ran it in the Summer of 1972; and absolutely fell in love with the concept and humor. Oh ... and William Windom did some of his best work ever in this show as manifested by the 1970 Emmy he won for "Outstanding Continued Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Comedy Series". (Remember, this is the same actor that portrayed Matt Decker in the acclaimed Star Trek episode "The Doomsday Machine" -- he had a heck of a range!)

A true gem, this one season wonder is long overdue for a release.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Agree with you completely, Joseph...My World and Welcome to it deserves a home video release...among William Windom's many memorable guest star appearances, a lot of fans also regard his performance on the Night Gallery episode "They're Tearing Down Tim Riley's Bar" to be almost the single greatest signature role of that series...

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
(Remember, this is the same actor that portrayed Matt Decker in the acclaimed Star Trek episode "The Doomsday Machine" -- he had a heck of a range!)

He had incredible range! I have that lot DVD release of remastered original-recipe NBC Trek, and that's one outing that I come back to often-- it was just that good.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I'm still *desperately* holding out hope for "My World and Welcome to It" which won an Emmy for Outstanding Comedy Series in 1970.

The show was *way* ahead of it's time. I was fortunate enough to catch a few episodes when CBS re-ran it in the Summer of 1972; and absolutely fell in love with the concept and humor. Oh ... and William Windom did some of his best work ever in this show as manifested by the 1970 Emmy he won for "Outstanding Continued Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Comedy Series". (Remember, this is the same actor that portrayed Matt Decker in the acclaimed Star Trek episode "The Doomsday Machine" -- he had a heck of a range!)

A true gem, this one season wonder is long overdue for a release.
I'm guessing the Thurber heirs are the main obstruction here. They probably want a ton of money like Michener's kids did for Adventures in Paradise. Plus, it being only a single season show, that's another strike against it. Would love to see it though.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Agree with you completely, Joseph...My World and Welcome to it deserves a home video release...among William Windom's many memorable guest star appearances, a lot of fans also regard his performance on the Night Gallery episode "They're Tearing Down Tim Riley's Bar" to be almost the single greatest signature role of that series...
Great actor.. wish they would release Farmers Daughter as well but that's Fox so..... well, you know.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Love Boat season 4, and 5 in May, and September.

Different Strokes the complete series, Fantasy Island season 4 from Shout Factory

St. Elsewhere the complete series from Time-Life

Unsolved Mysteries the complete series($299) all original episodes uncut from VEI.

Lassie Seasons 1, and 2.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Outside of the Lou Grant release just announced, and the two DePatie-Freleng shows (Hoot Kloot and Blue Racer) I am going to guess that we'll probably get the final season of Lou Grant. Maybe Mr. Jaws and The Dogfather from the DePatie-Freleng stuff (can't remember who is releasing these).

I'm pretty sure CHiPs seasons 5 and 6 will make it out by the end of the year.

Warner Archive will get us a few more Hanna-Barbera shows. Hopefully from the 60s and 70s.

VEI will hopefully get The Magician and Angie out next year.

Other than that, I'm not hopeful about much else.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Now that CBS is ramping up its BOD with some series titles like How To Marry a Millionaire, Best of the West and The Young Lawyers (not yet announced), I'm guessing that we will see more from the array of shows which they did mastering on for sales to TV Land in the mid-90s. Perhaps Paper Moon, Coronet Blue, Funny Face or The Brady Brides.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
My World and Welcome To It is a Universal show. So, if the Thurber heirs are not the main obstruction, then it's Universal. They either may not have digital transfers and won't foot the bill to have transfers done or if they had transfers they were probably lost in the fire.

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
re 'My World and Welcome To it' I liked the way it went from animation into real life - William Windom was excellent in it, as stated above his range was vast - he's in so many shows from TV Westerns like 'Gunsmoke' to 'The Invaders', 'Ironside', 'Streets of San Francisco' etc always playing a very different character and making his portrayal convincing

his Cmdr. Matt Decker in 'The Doomsday Machine' remains one of my fav roles of his

re 2017 - I still hope for 'The Name of The Game' (maybe one day !!) plus shows like '77 Sunset Strip' & spin offs, Richard Diamond, Run For Your Life, Project UFO and TV western 'Lancer' - plus the remaining seasons of 'The Defenders' and 'Gunsmoke'

Ian K McLachlan

Second Unit
Real Name
Ian Kenneth McLachlan
Reading the comments above it is amazing how many shows you would like to see released I would too. My world and welcome to it is the American series that I would most like to see again. Here in Britain it was repeated in the early 1980s but never since. It would be interesting to know who has the rights to it for definite. Does anybody know please? I would also like to see The Name of the Game released - it looked likely for a while and then nothing. Of course I would like to see the remaining seasons of The Defenders out. Run for Your Life, Richard Diamond, Project UFO, The Fantastic Journey (really surprised that with most of the other short lived SF series this one has not been released), He and She and Nanny and the Professor are others I would really like to see released. Oh...and the third and last season of Flipper. As all the modern seasons of Flipper got released why not season 3 does anybody know? Thanks.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
My #1 show: a complete St. Elsewhere, which would seem to most likely to come from Shout!, given that they did stablemates Hill Street Blues complete and Lou Grant by season.

But I'm not choosy about the source.

Duane Alford

Second Unit
Obviously we'll get The Rifleman finished in November 2017, but I don't see CHiPs getting finished. I'm sure we'll get Season 5 in March, but I'm sure the last season won't be out until March 2018

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks