What's new

2016 Vizio P, FALD, Dolby HDR, Google Cast remote, bang for the buck monster! (1 Viewer)

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Only 600nit HDR, barely above the minimum with calibration probably less then that. Heck my 2 year old Samsung does 500nits but only HDR10. 1000nits+ is Dolby Vision reference level.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Uh huh. It's not a premium/reference set. It's a high specced budget set that is going to give the guys charging $$$ for those reference levels a LOT of ageda. Know who doesn't care about a few nits? Everyone not on the forum.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Nifty 50" on order. Pickup saturday but wont be home to set it up till late Sunday...

Early word from folks getting delivery today is mixed on Wifi issues and WAY great on PQ.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Brad here. Just saw this in a email from Vizio. From what I can gather:
1. All of Vizio 's lineup is going 4K, including the bargain D series.

2. HDR will be offered starting at the M Series.

3. P Series offers HDR and Dolby Vision ( I thought they were one n the same , educate me on this).

4. Each model in the P Series lineup gains 5 inches over previous P Series offerings .
This is all part of their new SmartCast sales theme.

I'm looking seriously at the 75" P Series to eventually replace my 2013 era E Series 70.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
HDR and Dolby Vision ( I thought they were one n the same , educate me on this).

I think - and I could be wrong here too - that Dolby Vision is a kind of HDR. Kind of like there's surround sound in general, and then there's the Dolby Digital format of surround sound. Every set that has Dolby Vision has HDR, but not every set that has HDR has Dolby Vision.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Dolby Vision is much more complex than HDR10, you should read this:
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-vision/dolby-vision-white-paper.pdf

I dunno what you are talking about with 5 inches, that just seems silly. There are 50,55, 6 and 75 inch versions of the P line, other lines have other sizes. ONLY 2016 P line is official so far. P is 126/128 zone FALD, M line is 64ish (not confirmed) and D is edge lit.

Via user at AVS, look ma, no blooming!
02c1e88de7efa9db3376292c6081e5d3.jpg

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...016-p-series-uhd-hdr-tvs-38.html#post42673794

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I dunno what you are talking about with 5 inches, that just seems silly. There are 50,55, 6 and 75 inch versions of the P line, other lines have other sizes. ONLY 2016 P line is official so far. P is 126/128 zone FALD, M line is 64ish (not confirmed) and D is edge lit.

======================================
The original P-Series models only went as large as 70 inches and they were mostly in multiples of 10 (50, 60 , 70). I've now seen 55, 65 and 75 inch offerings.
Wish they'd go to 80 but I'd gladly buy a new 75" P-Series.

This also seems to explain why I've been seeing fewer of the current UHD M-Series (without HDR) in the market.
My 50" UHD M-Series....already obsolete.

front_hero_2.jpg

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
So at 3am my pickup was delayed to Thursday. All Bbs from MD to Nj are now showing no stock until Wednesday/Thursday. Went to Christiana. They tell me no orders should have been promised anywhere in area cause there are NO deliveries except on Wednesdays. Frustrating.

Buncha savages in this town....

Sam Posten

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
“Matt McRae is fired up about remote controls. Or, more specifically, about getting rid of them.

McRae is the chief technology officer of Vizio, a company that sells more TVs — and with them, remotes — than any other company in America. And he thinks remote controls are very, very stupid.

"I can’t believe we have rubber buttons and a plastic housing with double-A batteries," he says. "We’re navigating from remotes that were invented in the 1950s. That needs to be dynamited."

And McRae has dynamite in hand. Vizio’s new P-Series TVs are a radical departure from the rest of the industry. Unlike the smart TVs that dominate the market, the P-Series completely lacks an on-screen interface — there are no apps or menus or controls or even picture settings on the TV itself. There’s nothing.

Instead, Vizio has partnered with Google to redesign the entire TV experience around the Google Cast streaming protocol, the same technology used in the wildly popular Chromecast streaming stick. The P-Series comes with a six-inch Android tablet, and everything is controlled by the new Vizio SmartCast app. There’s also an iOS version of the app, and any other app or service that supports Cast can send content to the TV.

It's a simple idea with enormous implications: what if all the TVs in your home were just extensions of your phone?

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/22/1...ogle-cast-tablet-remote-smartcast-app-feature

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
While the Vizio people think remote controls are terrible, I think juggling multiple remote controls is more terrible. And they've introduced yet another single-device, proprietary remote that won't work universal remotes.

I'm not sure this would really make my living room better.

Eventually, when every device supports this control system, and there's a Harmony universal app on my iPhone, the madness will again be reduced.

But I might be grumbling over the loss of hard buttons.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yes, the solutions for anything tied to an HDMI port suck. This sucks less for internal apps than the other solutions do, allegedly. Will let you know what I think Thursday.

Rocinante

Auditioning
Real Name
Gary
Hi all, good to be here. Well I had been following the gigantic posting over at the "AVS" place but realized they had banned me for an genuine accidental infraction (multiple user names over a 13 year period!) but i digress......

I have on order the 50, 55 and 65 inch P series that are due in Wednesday and I am planning to do a comparison of the three panels since the 55 is an IPS, the 50 and 65 are VA but the 50 is a 60hz panel.

Thanks

Rocinante

Auditioning
Real Name
Gary
Hi Sam, I just got the call that mine are being delivered tomorrow between 8 and 10am. I have been moving around my living room for the 65 inch today, I sure hope my little amp plays nice with it. The 50, and 55 are going in the office and the bedroom.

Users who are viewing this thread