What's new

2016 Summer Olympics - Rio de Janerio, Brazil (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It seemed kind of fishy from the start, especially when Lochte immediately jumped on TV to talk all about it without a peep from the other three guys. I guess since he couldn't win any medals, he had to find some other way to make the story about him.
Yeah, he needs to craw under that rock of his, no pun intended.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Jeez. . .just as I was thinking how nice it was that no athletes had gotten sick, as many had feared might happen, there's this, plus the bizarre booing of that French pole vaulter (not to mention his initial overreaction, comparing himself to Jesse Owens!).

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Well, it was kind of hard not to believe Lochte, considering that it's Rio. And how some athletes have really been robbed, and the IOC just seemed to show zero concern for their safety.

But it turned out that he lied, then I would agree, he needs to go away. But knowing today's media, that won't happen!

And it should not take away the accomplishments of the American athletes thus far in these Olympics. And how it does feel like an end of an era in some ways, as this will be the last Olympics for both Phelps and Bolt.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Well, it was kind of hard not to believe Lochte, considering that it's Rio. And how some athletes have really been robbed, and the IOC just seemed to show zero concern for their safety.

But it turned out that he lied, then I would agree, he needs to go away. But knowing today's media, that won't happen!

And it should not take away the accomplishments of the American athletes thus far in these Olympics. And how it does feel like an end of an era in some ways, as this will be the last Olympics for both Phelps and Bolt.
I'll bet the next olympics telecast in 2020 will feature quite a few look backs at Bolt. How does he make running as fast as you can look so effortless?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The US women's 4x100 got a do-over (and rightly so) when a Brazilian runner impeded a US runner. It was very strange watching a relay race with just one team running. They clocked the best time but still don't get a favored lane, which I don't understand.

Than the announcers mentioned that the anchor runner for the US would probably be replaced in the finals. So say the US Woman medal (seems like there's a good chance of that) do just the 4 runners in the final get medals?

Bolt makes it look easy in the 200 finals. He could get a 9th medal in the 4x100 which ties him a couple others in track and field. I think he's already got to be considered the all-time best sprinter. He's Secretariat out there outclassing everyone else. It's just not close when he's healthy.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
The US women's 4x100 got a do-over (and rightly so) when a Brazilian runner impeded a US runner. It was very strange watching a relay race with just one team running. They clocked the best time but still don't get a favored lane, which I don't understand.

Than the announcers mentioned that the anchor runner for the US would probably be replaced in the finals. So say the US Woman medal (seems like there's a good chance of that) do just the 4 runners in the final get medals?

Bolt makes it look easy in the 200 finals. He could get a 9th medal in the 4x100 which ties him a couple others in track and field. I think he's already got to be considered the all-time best sprinter. He's Secretariat out there outclassing everyone else. It's just not close when he's healthy.

I'm just glad that the US women got another chance. As a result, Felix still has another shot at gold at these Olympics. And I do think anyone who participated along the way, in both heats and finals, will earn medals in track. I think that is the case with all Olympic relay races.

And oh man, Bolt did make it look too easy. Unbelievable so, as he is probably the only one who can get away with looking back while running, knowing that he is far ahead of everyone else. Breaking that golden rule of "never look back". Something that Gatlin did not have the luxury of doing.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The US 4x100 women repeated at gold medal winners from lane 1. Their time was the second fastest ever and the announcers made big deal of the fact they did it from lane 1. It still leaves me wondering why they got lane 1. According to the announcers there were some who thought they shouldn't have had a second chance. Seems like that just pissed of the US women and you shouldn't do that. :P

Bolt and Jamaica win the 4x100 and Bolt makes it look easy pulling away in the anchor leg. They showed past olympics where is was the number 3 runner and they won, but why would he be anything but the anchor, ever?

A US woman from Arkansas (or at least was a Razorback) almost got the gold in the pole vault. She had the hight in here final attempt but hit the bar on the way up and had to settle for silver in her first olympics.

I'm forgetting his name, but the US won the decathlon again. The US athlete had to finish less than 7 seconds behind his rival in the final (10K was it?) event. He was 10 feet behind his rival for most of his race than finished with a kick and beat him going away. Later he said in an interview he would have run himself into a hospital to win the gold.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
^^
Yeah, the US women won gold in the 4x100, but the US men end up getting disqualified. Alyson Felix does end her Olympics on a high note, while Gatlin ends on a very low note.

It was Ashton Eaton who won the gold in the decathlon, and his wife, Brianne Theisen won bronze in the heptalthon for Canada.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The US 4x100 women repeated at gold medal winners from lane 1. Their time was the second fastest ever and the announcers made big deal of the fact they did it from lane 1. It still leaves me wondering why they got lane 1. According to the announcers there were some who thought they shouldn't have had a second chance. Seems like that just pissed of the US women and you shouldn't do that. :P
Because their appeal was upheld which allowed them to run another heat by themselves and even though, it was the fastest heat time, according to track and field rules, they weren't allowed to run from one of the preferred lanes in the final. The two outside lanes are considered the toughest to run in track whether it's #1 or #8 lane. Furthermore, their time last night of 41.01, was the second fastest time ever in that event and they did it from #1 lane. Pretty incredible! By the way, the American women in the 2012 Olympics are the only ones to run under 41 seconds. Allyson Felix ran last night also was part of that 2012 relay team. First woman to win five Gold Medals in track and field.

My favorite events in track and field are the relays because of the batons and what can easily go wrong in exchanges of them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
lFirst woman to win five Gold Medals in track and field.

My favorite events in track and field are the relays because of the batons and what can easily go wrong in exchanges of them.
Strike that, Allyson Felix is the first woman to win six Gold Medals in track and field as she anchored the Gold Medal winning 4 x 400 relay race tonight.:)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
With the first in South America coming to a close, I thought the Closing Ceremony was on par with the Opening Ceremony. Nothing to really write home about, but unique enough, since it does have that Brazilian feel that has never been in past Olympics, being very festive. Strangely, the best part was the Tokyo handover ceremony, with Super Mario Bros being in it.

I think this year, I have watched a lot more things online than ever before. Part of it was due to me being out of work. But I also find the online broadcasts to be more enjoyable than their TV counterparts. Especially with gymnastics, as I find myself skipping that part in the prime time coverage. With TV ratings being horrible this time around, even with a lot of live coverage. But I thought the live coverage was offset by a lot of dead spots, as it seemed more like just showing athletes just sitting around. Will NBC pull off another miracle like they did in Beijing, in the next 3 Olympics, with the scheduling of events?

All things considered, I thought Rio pulled it off as a host! And being in a tropical location, it was definitely the most exotic of all, departing from the typical North American or European setting in past Olympics. I do think this will probably be the last time the Games will be in South America within my lifetime, as the IOC now wants to go to "safe" hosts.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I ended up watching very little -- Bolt winning the 100 meters, a little bit of the third round of men's golf, and the gold medal game for women's field hockey. I happened to flip to the channel early in the field hockey game and got sucked in. I had never seen the sport before -- I think the fascination was mostly trying to figure out what was going on with the rules, along with it being a close match. It seemed like more of a cross between soccer and lacrosse than anything to do with ice hockey.

I tuned into each of those events by random mostly, just flipping to see what was on when I wasn't busy. The other times I checked in, whatever was on didn't interest me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I got caught up in several events. I watched a lot of swimming, gymnastics, basketball, volleyball and track and field.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks