What's new

2016 Summer Olympics - Rio de Janerio, Brazil (1 Viewer)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Okay, I thought that men's gymnastics would be shown on this day's prime time coverage, as said on the TV listings. But when figuring out that it would not be shown, probably tells me that they crashed and burned in the team final so badly, that NBC had it pulled from the lineup. I did not see the results, so I don't know at the moment. So instead, we get a lot more of the dead spots of showing swimmers just sitting around, thus wasting so much time, when they could have shown more of the other sports. That would be really unbelievable!

Though, kind of amusing to see Lilly King beat the Russian swimmer (and possible drug cheat), Yulia Efimova, after that finger waving, trash-talk from the night before.

Kosovo won their first Olympic medal ever, along with Vietnam winning their first gold medal ever. And the host nation winning gold as well.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I don't know. Seeing Phelps just sitting around was pretty great TV.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Okay, I thought that men's gymnastics would be shown on this day's prime time coverage, as said on the TV listings. But when figuring out that it would not be shown, probably tells me that they crashed and burned in the team final so badly, that NBC had it pulled from the lineup.

They were relegated to late night coverage mostly, since, as you surmised....

NBC's coverage is so Ameri-centric it's pathetic. If the Americans do well, it's all you see. They crash and burn, NBC does their best to bury it (I never did see NBC show Leyva's final score for high bar). This should be an opportunity for NBC's viewers to root for and see the best of all the athletes from all nations competing, but NBC isn't willing to be that open-minded in their coverage.

I used to prefer to watch Canada's CBC coverage of the Olympics, but don't receive that channel anymore on my cable system.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter

NBC's coverage is so Ameri-centric it's pathetic. If the Americans do well, it's all you see. They crash and burn, NBC does their best to bury it (I never did see NBC show Leyva's final score for high bar). This should be an opportunity for NBC's viewers to root for and see the best of all the athletes from all nations competing, but NBC isn't willing to be that open-minded in their coverage.

Yeah, I ended up watching the late night coverage, but not until the following morning! The way it was telecasted, just felt like as if the network was burning off an episode of a cancelled show, basically phoning it in that night.

And by the way, they did show Leyva do the high bar, and let's just say, his performance pretty much sums up the US men in the team all-around final.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I used to prefer to watch Canada's CBC coverage of the Olympics, but don't receive that channel anymore on my cable system.

I prefer CBC's coverage, too. I have not tuned any of it in for this Olympics, as I'm not that interested in the Summer Games (as I mentioned before). However, I will tune into CBC for the Winter Olympics a lot. They are more Canadian-centric, as you would expect, but nothing like the American flag-waving and slanted coverage NBC always puts on. You actually see quite a few of the athletes from other countries, too.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I prefer CBC's coverage, too. I have not tuned any of it in for this Olympics, as I'm not that interested in the Summer Games (as I mentioned before). However, I will tune into CBC for the Winter Olympics a lot. They are more Canadian-centric, as you would expect, but nothing like the American flag-waving and slanted coverage NBC always puts on. You actually see quite a few of the athletes from other countries, too.

I just checked my cable system's website and supposedly I do still get the CBC channel, just located at a different number. I'll have to check when I get home. Looks like standard def only, though.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I just checked my cable system's website and supposedly I do still get the CBC channel, just located at a different number. I'll have to check when I get home. Looks like standard def only, though.

The standard definition version of CBC we get has horrible picture quality, so hopefully yours is better. I would still tune in for their Hockey Night in Canada coverage for years, but was so happy a few years ago when we finally got the local affiliate from Windsor, Ontario in HD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

It's just my opinion, but the majority of those watching the Olympics in America, want to see the American athletes and aren't really interested in athletes from all nations. I read something the other day that a good segment of NBC's audience are women that are not hardcore sports fans. I can't blame a network for catering to the majority of their viewing audience.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Nor I, and it's been this way for years. Ratings have been down substantially this Olympics, which likely means a doubling down on the Americana instead of a reduction. Me? I'm projecting the Olympics on my 110" screen for the first time, and it's magnificent. Phelps grimming up was like a 3D effect.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Ratings have been down substantially this Olympics, which likely means a doubling down on the Americana instead of a reduction.

Yeah, you would think with the Games in Rio, which is the most time zone friendly since Atlanta, would be a gold mine for NBC. How ironic that the ratings are worse than London or Beijing, both of which, are far less time zone friendly for American viewers.

I have been watching the online coverage of the women's gymnastics, and so far, it has been better than what is shown on prime time. I know that's not saying much, as I was surprised that they left out showing some of the Americans on some of the rotations. I won't say more, in case someone does not want to be spoiled for prime time. :D

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
IMO, the Olympics have suffered greatly in the days of the internet and 24-hour cable outlets. Everyone knows everything that transpired during the day.

As for an American TV network emphasizing American athletes, go figure.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
As far as being less sexist, Rowdy Gaines definitely seemed to be self-aware with this comment... "Some people say that she swims like a man. She doesn't swim like a man. She swims like Katie Ledecky", referring to Ledecky herself. And by the way, I think she has definitely been amazing to watch so far in these Olympics.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Well, there was really not much doubt who would win the gold in the all-around in women's gymnastics, with Biles winning convincingly. But a shame that the final 2 rotations were shown after 11 PM, because it was really something to watch.

22 gold medals for Phelps, which has surpassed even the total medal count of a bunch of countries. And while poor Lochte did not even make it onto the podium in the 200m IM. I guess this is his final Olympics!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
As far as being less sexist, Rowdy Gaines definitely seemed to be self-aware with this comment... "Some people say that she swims like a man. She doesn't swim like a man. She swims like Katie Ledecky", referring to Ledecky herself. And by the way, I think she has definitely been amazing to watch so far in these Olympics.
I taking this a meaning Gaines wasn't being sexist. To say that Ledecky swims like Ledecky is a complement of the highest order. I thought she was channeling Secretariat in the Belmont in the 800 swim. 16 laps of the pool and the race is pretty much decided after 2 laps!

What the hell happened the woman's soccer team?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
What the hell happened the woman's soccer team?

Probably the same thing that happens to a lot of top-ranked and favored teams/individuals, they get complacent and lackadaisical and assume they'll just be handed a medal.

Happens often in sports when a top team is beaten by an underdog. The top team assumes it's an automatic win and forgets they have to actually play the game.

Not to take anything away from the teams that win. They played a better game and deserve to be where they are.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
FWIW, when I press the Sports button (c) on my Xfinity X1 remote, I get a bunch of events to watch, as it lets me select any Olympic events that are either being broadcast on an NBC station or that are available for streaming.

Small consolation for anyone without X1 or another streaming service, I guess.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
How stupid Lochte and those other three swimmers are for ruining a great Olympics for the Americans by telling such a lie? If true, all four swimmers need to go away and never compete again. Their reputations are forever ruin and have done harm to their country's reputation. Shame on them!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It seemed kind of fishy from the start, especially when Lochte immediately jumped on TV to talk all about it without a peep from the other three guys. I guess since he couldn't win any medals, he had to find some other way to make the story about him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks