What's new

2016 MLB Season Discussion (1 Viewer)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
As a long-term fan of baseball, I'm fine with them eliminating the four pitches. Just because something happens less than 1% percent of the time, doesn't mean you have to keep the same silly rule in place. Baseball fans hate change, so does the baseball industry, it's the reason why their sport is dying on the vine. The average age of MLB fans is much higher than any other major sport. Change is inevitable and is often necessary to stay relevant to future generations.

As to the Red Sox, I wish nothing, but bad luck to them.:)

I'm not sure how getting rid of those four pitches would gain any new fans. I mean, did someone conduct a poll and that was the top vote-getter for why some young person isn't watching/attending?

The normal complaint is the games are too long, but I thought that was by design. Since TV money controls the game, I assumed they want longer games to give them more money.

(and IMO I find that whole 'need to change to stay relevant' argument to be utter garbage - regardless of what it is applied to)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The batter's timeout in the batter's box is one of the most ridiculous time-wasters to me. Get rid of that, and add a strictly-enforced pitch clock and the games would move right along.

The 4-pitch walk intentional walk is actually one of the fastest plays in the game, so I don't see any real reason for the change. It probably takes 30 seconds to throw the four pitches, while otherwise it can take several minutes to throw a single pitch due to cumulative delays by pitchers, catchers, and batters.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The whole focus on pace of play is ridiculous. Is there even one kid out there who will say, "I want to watch baseball, but three hours is too much. Get it down to 2:45 and I'm there!"? The idea of a pitch clock makes me sick. The one sport without clocks, and here they come. Get rid of Manfred and have Co-Commissioner Crawford decide the DH rules and Co-Commissioner Frezon the rest (unless I disagree).

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Another problem with taking away the 4 pitch count is it lets the pitcher and the defence off the hook: It's four fewer pitches that have to be thrown, thereby subtracting from the overall pitch count. The defense is left off the hook in the event of a wild pitch or a passed ball, either of which could advance the baserunner/s. Plus, I think there's something about the defense awarding a batter first base without throwing a pitch that just seems so inherently non sportly, if that makes any sense!

This is just my opinion.

CHEERS! :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Blame it on the money! Also, youth baseball as to how it's play today, frequency-wise is much higher and more players just specializing in one sport without playing other sports is causing damage to their arms that might not show up until they reach the minors or majors.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Make the pitchers bat. The DH is a stupid rule and should be eliminated.

As for the intentional walk, it's fine the way it is.
Maybe it's stupid to you, but I have a feeling it's going to be adopted across MLB just like it has in the other leagues playing baseball.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
While I don't necessarily agree with this, I wouldn't be too surprised if the NL eventually adopted the DH, as the focus on protecting pitchers careers (IE. Today's rigid pitch counts!) grows. It's simply the way the wind's blowing, these days!

CHEERS! :)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Mets are struggling. Doesn't help having so many injuries to starters. Wright, Duda and d'arnaud is a lot to deal with! Harvey has been better which helps but the offense needs help.

I like picking up kelly Johnson from the braves. He can play so many positions and will most likely play 3b with wright out.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Even the yankees. Must be a ny thing.
No, it's more to to with a really good 20 year run has come to an end and now the Yankee organization needs a reset to reload. Unlike, some other teams, they're choosing not to tank and rebuild, but try to do so on the fly which leaves them with not a last place team, but a pretty mediocre one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks