What's new

2016 MLB Season Discussion (1 Viewer)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty happy with the Cubs start this year. If they can avoid anymore major injuries they should be ok.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The Red Sox are off to a good start. They have the look of a good all-around team.

But onto broader, more important topics?

But what is this absolute garbage about the commissioner wanting to eliminate the four pitches for an IBB?

In whose universe does this make any sense? What longtime fan of the game cannot point to instances where a four-pitch IBB didn't quite go as planned? Or a battery that calls for an IBB late in a count and then sucker-pitches the batter who isn't paying attention with a called strike three?

Is THAT what our current commissioner thinks is going to shorten games? More important than late evening starts and all the other misguided money-grubbing tactics that MLB uses to extort money for the game?

It is lunacy. Commissioner Frezon would NEVER allow it.

This clip is really amazing!

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
One of the great memories of my youth is Johnny Bench being struck out by Rollie Fingers in the World Series when Gene Tenace snuck back behind the plate after signaling a pitchout for ball 4 and Bench went down looking.

I'm with Commissioner Frezon, make the pitchers throw all four.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As a long-term fan of baseball, I'm fine with them eliminating the four pitches. Just because something happens less than 1% percent of the time, doesn't mean you have to keep the same silly rule in place. Baseball fans hate change, so does the baseball industry, it's the reason why their sport is dying on the vine. The average age of MLB fans is much higher than any other major sport. Change is inevitable and is often necessary to stay relevant to future generations.

As to the Red Sox, I wish nothing, but bad luck to them.:)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Is Tom Hamilton the worst? The ball gets past a guy and he hyperventilates. "THE BALL GOT PAST HIM! MIKE NAPOLI SCOREEEEEEEEEEEEEES! ONE NOTHING INDIANS!" Really? Dude, just go back to drumming for Aerosmith.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Is Tom Hamilton the worst? The ball gets past a guy and he hyperventilates. "THE BALL GOT PAST HIM! MIKE NAPOLI SCOREEEEEEEEEEEEEES! ONE NOTHING INDIANS!" Really? Dude, just go back to drumming for Aerosmith.
Tom Hamilton is Aerosmith's bass player. But point taken...

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Yeah, I actually woke up this morning wondering if I named the wrong instrument. I knew I shouldn't have posted tired.

I listen to a lot of crews throughout the country, thanks to SXM. I really like the Tigers and Orioles radio crews. The Angels and A's have top guys as well. I don't really listen to Hamilton, but he occasionally annoys me on Quick Pitch.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I'm confused. Who would signal an IBB if the four pitches were to be eliminated? Would the pitcher signal the home plate umpire?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Here's how it will be done:

phillie-phanatic.jpg

I don't know what the visiting team will do.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
After last season I was hopefull the Twins could contend but right they are the WORST team in MLB. :(

Bad pitching and too many strikeouts.

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
After last season I was hopefull the Twins could contend but right they are the WORST team in MLB. :(

Bad pitching and too many strikeouts.

As a Braves fan, I take issue with this analysis. Bad defense, poor relief pitching, young starters who often implode and the worst offense in the majors.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm confused. Who would signal an IBB if the four pitches were to be eliminated? Would the pitcher signal the home plate umpire?

The way it's done at high school level is that the catcher or manager makes a request to the umpire to award the batter first base. This can be done before pitching to the batter or on any ball and strike count.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks