What's new

2013 NFL Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Ockeghem said:
It was actually an entertaining game -- much more so than I thought it would be given the teams' records thus far.
Well, the Jags have now won 3 of 4 (after starting 0-8!), and the Texans put up a fight against the Pats last week, so it wasn't entirely unexpected.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Rough year for Kubiak, to say the least. Considering all he's gone through, maybe this is the best thing for him.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Lions continue to lose in interesting and entertaining ways. This time it was giving up 26 4th quarter points in a snow storm in Philly after getting two kick returns for TDs. The Eagles made adjustments for the weather, while Detroit did not.

The Lions did get their name removed from the record books today, though. Tom Dempsey's 63 yard field goal against them in 1970 is no longer tied for the longest FG of all time. Matt Prater kicked a 64 yarder today for Denver. Dempsey's FG is my earliest Lions memory -- yes, I watched it live on TV at my aunt and uncle's house. How fitting that memory is of a loss.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
When I came to this thread I was certain I would find Pats fans discussing the bogus PI call that setup their victory today. Guess not.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
As a Chiefs fan, today was fun. We had a rough stretch - always true when you face Manning twice in 3 weeks and you've lost two great defensive players (one who thankfully may be back)... but today against Washington was an old fashioned ass-whipping. If we had kept up that kind of pressure in the second half, it would have looked like Madden NFL rather than a real game. The way we kept breaking long runs on special teams just seemed like a video game.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Patrick_S said:
When I came to this thread I was certain I would find Pats fans discussing the bogus PI call that setup their victory today. Guess not.
Over the course of the season, it all evens out. :) Nah, mourning the loss of Gronk for the rest of this season with torn ACL and MCL from that low tackle.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Manning seemed quite determined yesterday to lay to rest the "He doesn't throw well in cold weather" claim.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Patrick_S said:
That actually helped the Browns, since it left time on the clock for their comeback attempt! ;)

It was definitely a ticky-tack call, but it was not remotely in the same league as the picked-up flag at the end of the Carolina game.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I can't imagine it will happen, but I'm pulling for an upset tonight. At 6-7, San Diego still has a chance for the second wild card as Miami (7-6) has New England this week in Miami, and the Ravens (7-6) have the Lions in Detroit next Monday night. The Jets are also 6-7 and still have a slim chance for the second wild card. Go Chargers!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
WEEI just mentioned why the Pats-Ravens game next week got moved from 8:30 to 4:30. Apparently the difference between flex night games between CBS and FOX games cannot exceed 3, so they had to swap the CBS game for a FOX game (Bears-Eagles). Interesting.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
The Chargers are giving the Broncos all that they can handle. They may just pull this off. They're currently leading 27-17 with 2:36 to go in regulation. I hope I haven't spoken too soon. ;)

Edit: Wow, the Chargers pulled off the upset in Denver, 27-20. I really hope they finish the season strong and make the playoffs.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
O………M……..G! That OMG has two levels, OMG the chargers won in Denver and OMG I forgot the game was on, didn't watch or record. Crap! So I've spent the morning watching the highlights on Sportscenter. Some tidbits I've learned is that SD has won last 5 out 7 in Denver. This is the first time Denver has lost to a division rival since Manning arrived. The chargers have beaten the Manning brothers two weeks in a row. I wouldn't have picked that to happen.

But I've been here before. Year, after year, the chargers put themselves in a position to need a fantastic November/December to make something of the season. And they usually manage to have one. But because they've started so slow, they have too deep a hole to dig out of.

And if they make the playoffs, their record in January, pretty much the opposite of December. Seems like the bolts find it easier to win, when they've got nothing to lose. Show me something January for a change.

As I've mentioned before, for all his hall-of-fame numbers, the closer it gets to crunch time, the less Peyton impresses. His former owner even said it (though it was tacky of him to do so). I've already predicted the Denver won't be in the SB, I'm wondering if they'll even make it to the AFC championship game.

I'm not resentful of the Peyton brothers like I sense many are. I don't even dislike Eli for refusing to come to SD. All you have to do is look at the franchise history of NY and sd to see where your future lies. If Eli comes to sd, he's not going to have any SB rings.

The ownership than and now, doesnt really care if the chargers win the big one. And the GM Smith cared more about putting players under his thumb than he did building a championship team. Why are Vincent Jackson and Darrin Sproles gone? Velazquez and Sean Phillips gone to Denver (maybe it was the current regime that let that happen?). Smith had some hits early on, but his touch of gold turned into a touch of death as the years went by.

Part of the problem is San Diego. They don't send death threats when players don't measure up. So many people living there are from somewhere else. Half the stadium seems to be rooting for the visitors sometimes. I'd wager no team in the NFL has a smaller home field advantage than the chargers. And few, if any, have a bigger advantage than Denver with that altitude. The visitors have their tongues dragging on the turf in the fourth quarter.

Holy crap, where'd all that come from? I just meant to comment on last nights game.

I'm not a fan of the Pats, but I am an admirer. They've been struggling all season long and now they're in the driver's seat for home-field in the playoffs. I know they've just lost their big time tight end, Gronk, but I'd wager no team is better at overcoming injuries or other adversity to find a way to win. My money is on the Pats for being the AFC SB representative. I'll predict Denver doesn't make it to the conference championship. No defense and a HOF QB that just isn't that much of a HOF'er in the playoffs. Seattle wins it all.

BTW, the last Seahawks game at home, seismologists recorded the crowd noise as a small earthquake. Does anyone wonder if they aren't doing some damage to the stadium? I know it seems farfetched, but if the crowd noise (and I'm sure they're stomping too) shows up as an earthquake, I gotta wonder?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Denver not in the AFC championship game? Right.

Other than NE, who else?

The issue with Peyton's game is this(lived in Indy till 3 years ago)...

If one person on the defensive side guesses correctly the entire game, the defense wins. Losing to a Peyton offense is another notch on a bedpost. Beating Peyton is a career accomplishment. That mentality allows defenses to throw their own playbook out the window and go by gut.

Been shown time and time again, the defenses that beat Peyton are the ones that threw caution, and their defensive playbook, out the window and went for it.

Case in point. The Saints in the Super Bowl. Tracy Porter guesses correctly...Saints win. Two plays in that game, won the game.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, this years AFC is like this years NBA East...

The Colts could lose their next three games and they are still in the playoffs. They have 1 and done etched in the chalkboard...even if they limp to winning the division, instead of the wildcard.

In the NFC, if seedings work out...I see a Cincy/Seattle title game. I bet San Fran is 1 and done. CK is not ready for prime time.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Schan,

You might be right about the Bengals. It's one of the reasons that their next game (at Pittsburgh) is very important to fans of the Patriots.Interestingly, the Ravens lost four of their last five regular-season games last year and won it all. Even though the AFC looks to be inferior, I don't think it's a given that the NFC wins the Super Bowl this year. But those Seahawks do look tough.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If the SuperBowl turns into SnowBowl, not sure Seattle even has the advantage. When do they ever play in snow? (Seattle is not a snowy city)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Schan,Good point! I would think that the Bengals, Broncos, and Patriots would have an advantage if there were a blizzard during the game. But even if they didn't, no problem. I'd just phone Don Shula and have him contact Mark Henderson whenever the Patriots had the ball. Gotta love the emergency ground rule. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowplow_Game

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks